Universal Replacement remote for 522

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I just bought a new Sony Home Theatre system. I tried all the sony codes for the 522's remote and then did the scan for codes and still no joy. Apparently the 522's remote is not going to control the stereo, all I want it to do is turn it off and on and adjust the volume but oh well.
So I ask has anyone bought a universal remote that controls the DVR 522 and other equipment? Could you provide a brand and model if so?

Joe

Most sony products have a secondary code to them that you can use. Some report success on that but I don't know how to switch the code but look in the sony manual, hope it works. I have one not working but just haven't gotten to changing it.

It is probably called changing the remote control address.

THis isn't a low cost solution, but I use a Compaq iPaq 3900 series or similar hand held PDA. (I paid $225 last year for one)

It has NEVO which is a universal remote/learning remote software. As long as it is an infra-red device, this baby will control it.

It will even speed learn from the original equipment remote. The ONLY thing it wont control is multiphased IR controls like a 'BetaBrite' LED business sign.

I can take it from room to room and control anything including IR light/fan controls with it.

It controls my Dish 921, 522, Pansat 2500, Harmon Kardon AVR 7200, Optimus STAV-3570, Sharp TV, Hitachi 52" HDTV, Magnavox TV, Zenith DVB318 DVD and my Magnavox VCR.

The other day I took it with me to the Dr. office and changed the TV cause I didn't want to listen to CMT.

THe only drawback is 'distance' I have to be within 8 feet of the unit I want to control because the IR LED isn't that powerful.

ANywho... Maybe you can pick one up on ebay find another universal that would fit your needs.

Pils said:
It is probably called changing the remote control address.

Sonys are notorious for shipping their receivers in AVR2 command mode. In order to use a universal remote, you have to change to AVR1. See if your HTR is listed here:

Link

Dave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)