Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I've had this 10' mesh dish in the shed for about 5 years and decided to put it up. Started assembly today It was a button hook to quad leg convert. I took the button hook mount off of it before assembly. apr12 002.JPGapr12 001.JPGUknownDish 003.JPGUknownDish 004.JPG

Any guesses as to the brand of this dish. The feed cover said "Laser" and the model of LNB was a LASER. No other marks of any kind on the dish or mount. The spokes (18) are steel with a vinyl cover that holds the mesh in place.

I like the mount its on ;)
That would work great for me and a ghetto move dish
That has been a handy dish stand. This will be the third bud I've serviced/assembled on this stand. There are captured nuts in the end of the legs for leveling feet like a refrigerator. I didn't use that feature so much, so I put casters on it so I could just roll it around. Originally used for a WSI 6' Special, but has been put to good use since.

Found it! I was cleaning the highlights(white streaks) off the mesh panels today and noticed a faded logo on one panel. "LASER C/Ku"
So I guess we call it a LASER, never heard of it. LOL

Starting to look more like a dish I found a while back :) Got the mesh installed. I have to get the pole ready tomorrow. It's taking the spot where the WSI dish was and the pole is only 32". I need to increase to 44" length for this 10' dish.LaserCKU 002.JPGLaserCKU 005.JPGLaserCKU 007.JPG

Yes it definately looks like"Insert your name here" Stuff. You can see a difference in the paint of the branded panel.
I got to get this up quick. The neighbors are getting restless. They think it's bigger than the Winegard, and don't want to understand why I need this one. I told them to be glad I don't have a hobby that would really irritate them, like the guy across the alley that has a band and practices a lot. Fortunately for me he's good and I like his music. I'm a mechanic, maybe I should build "hotrods" instead. LOL
UknownDish 005.JPG

Progress! Got the pole stretched. Attached the LNBF and supports. And I found a dish lifter to use!! I'll prewire the dish before lifting into place.

LaserCKU2 006.JPGLaserCKU2 001.JPGLaserCKU2 003.JPG

Looks better than new! Great work! :up

Since you are in Montana (West Coast) you should mount the motor to connect the arm on the east side rather than on the left side of the reflector. The arm's reflector connection point also looks very close to the pivot. You might consider moving this connection point to the reflector a few feet further out. This increased distance will increase your pulse count and improve the aiming accuracy (and slow movement). That is why I prefer using a 48" over a 36" arm. Not always an option, but I love the extra pulse counts!

I'm sure you know better, but that picture number one sure looks close to that power line. It is only secondary, but still......:eek:

Nice looking dish. Good job!

Meow.

Looks better than new! Great work! :up

Since you are in Montana (West Coast) you should mount the motor to connect the arm on the east side rather than on the left side of the reflector. The arm's reflector connection point also looks very close to the pivot. You might consider moving this connection point to the reflector a few feet further out. This increased distance will increase your pulse count and improve the aiming accuracy (and slow movement). That is why I prefer using a 48" over a 36" arm. Not always an option, but I love the extra pulse counts!
Thanks. On the actuator deal, I've been mulling that one over in my mind. I have satellites to 25° West of due south and can see 70° to the east. I can't get as far east with the actuator on the east side as the west. But it's a light duty 24" jack and I think I need a different one anyway.

I'm sure you know better, but that picture number one sure looks close to that power line. It is only secondary, but still......:eek:

Nice looking dish. Good job!

Meow.

The power line will be close but not too close. The phone line is about ready to get cut down. It wraps itself around the cable line in a wind storm and may reach the LNB array on the new dish in a storm. I' don't use the phone line at all.

The neighbors are getting restless. They think it's bigger than the Winegard, and don't want to understand why I need this one. I told them to be glad I don't have a hobby that would really irritate them, like the guy across the alley that has a band and practices a lot. Fortunately for me he's good and I like his music. I'm a mechanic, maybe I should build "hotrods" instead. LOL

Next time the neighbors have the nerve to question you about the big dish on your property, remind them of their big SUV (they probably have one, everyone seems to feel the need to buy one these days), and tell them about how you don't understand the need for it. This stuff is getting old very fast in our free country.

Next time the neighbors have the nerve to question you about the big dish on your property, remind them of their big SUV (they probably have one, everyone seems to feel the need to buy one these days), and tell them about how you don't understand the need for it. This stuff is getting old very fast in our free country.
The biggest whiner is Drummer in the Band. I wish he had a SUV, but he drives a POS Subaru, and I'm a Master Subaru Tech. Yikes!!

This country is losing it's grip on freedom, very sad indeed.

Borrowed Dish Lifter

Last year we were introduced to a handmade dishlifter. A small crane that clamps to the pole. Well I borrowed a "Dish Lifter System" you need to add your come-a-long. The base that clamps to the pole. The installation pole (long) the extension pole (short, fits in the top of the other pole) and the handle to turn the pole. This should be interesting. Installation photos to follow.Dishlifter.jpgOldDishLift 002.JPG

Dish Up!! My cable come-a-long was not long so I used a rope come-a-long. Stands a little taller than I wanted.
LaserUP 003.JPGLaserUP 008.JPGLaserUP 014.JPGLaserUP 018.JPG

Nice job magic...by the way, why do you need it?

Oh yeah, because you had it. Hope you had help...I would've put'em to work even if ya didn't need it...

Them neighbors I mean.

AW shucky darn! I hooked up the actuator incorrectly. Now it needs a sensor. Whoops.
Time for a visit to the local satellite junkyard :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)