'Unlimited' AT&T Wireless Data Plans Soon To Be Limited?

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
'Unlimited' AT&T Wireless Data Plans Soon To Be Limited? - Rumblings among insiders that plan changes are afoot, PR not sure... - dslreports.com

An anonymous AT&T insider yesterday hinted to us that the company's wireless division would soon be implementing a 5GB monthly usage cap on some unlimited data plans. We contacted AT&T for official comment and were told that there's no changes in store that they're aware of, but they'd nudge us if anything official came along. Today we're seeing some discussion over at Howard's forums that would seemingly confirm there's some changes coming:

I just heard that the pda plans will no longer be unlimited but will be capped at 5 gigs. Users will not be billed overages but people with constant overages will be contacted to try to reassess the users needs. The new plans are nationwide so I'm not going to disclose my market but they are getting rid of the media bundles and M2M messaging. Text and data is now separate. PDA plans will be lowered to 30 bucks to match blackberry personal and media net unlimited is lowered to $15 bucks.

According to the poster the plans will be live in a few weeks. Assuming these looming changes are true, AT&T may want to start removing the word unlimited from their advertising material. Verizon, who similarly advertised an unlimited service that actually had a 5GB monthly data cap, was busted last October by the NY Attorney General for false advertising. When we hear more on these rate changes we'll let you know.

Sounds like it might happen, it did with Verizon EVDO contracts....5 gig limit per month, but I think if you look at some of their advertising they still say unlimited:cool:

The only thing that has changed with Verizon since the Attorney General got after them was that they can't cut your service if you go over 5 gig, they can only throttle you down for the next month.

Now don't go out and try and lynch me here, but I think it might be a good rule....at least with the EVDO plan. Remember your sharing bandwidth with every one else that uses that particular cell tower, all it would take would be a few kids running a music/video sharing web site or someone running a couple 24/7 surveilance cameras and your throughput would turn to crap. And who knows how long (or at all) it would take for them to uprage their web feed to that tower.

Ron W.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)