Unofficial: Current Customer Promo on Dec. 1st

The Stone Man

Centennial, Colorado
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 15, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
As reported in the 'New Promo' sticky in this forum (thanks to Kenstater72 and riffjim4069), there will be a promotion for current customers that will begin on December 1st. In response to a blast-o-gram I sent regarding the ridiculous policy of charging existing customers a $199 fee to install an add-on STB, Voom sent the following reply:

Response (Scottie T.) - 11/23/2004 02:57 PM
Thank you for contacting VOOM,

I can certainly understand your concern, and I have some fantastic news! As of December 1st, if you wish to upgrade the number of receivers you currently have in your home, you may do so for a new low rate and up to 3 receivers for an installation cost of $49.00 ( no more than 6 total receivers in any one residence). Again, this offer is not available until December 1st.

As for the HD-DVR, unfortunately I have no information concerning the availability or pricing. As soon as this information is available, it will be posted on our web site. All the new developments of VOOM will be emailed directly to you through our HD Newsletter.

Once again, thank you for contacting VOOM.
Tony P.
VOOM Customer Support

$49 is a reasonable charge to roll a truck and string some wire and attach it to an STB, in my opinion. I wish they would have specified what the price of the equipment was going to be, but we should know that on or by December 1st. So if any existing customers are interested in adding some receivers to your current equipment list, keep this in mind.

I'd like to think that my logically thought-out rip job on my e-mail helped to get this new offer put in place, but common sense tells me it was just lucky timing.

I don't need another STB but I'm wondering if they will charge present customers only $5 an STB like the promo for NEW customers or will they charge the current $9 & the mirror charge.

A CSR told me yesturday that in December current customers will only have to pay $ rental instead of the 9 something. I took it as $5 rental and mirror fee total $10 a month. I wonder too because they call this a "promotion" will they make you enter into a contract to participate. I'm already in a 1 year (and a newbie), but I know some are not in contracts. I can't see them giving us something for nothing in return.. Hope I'm wrong. I didn't think about it in terms of adding STB's, good point.

no you don't have to sign up for anything else......the price drop is because of the DVR coming soon they want to fix the pricing since the DVR does more then the STB

StoneMan--

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this. We want to add more receivers at our household and this is a reasonable solution for both Voom AND it's current customers.

Thank you Voom for listening.

So that's $5/mo for the box rental, and no more mirror fee? I'm tempted to add another receiver in the bedroom if I can have 2 extra receivers for $10 vs. the current $15 for one...

scottie h -- I think you have the prices right. I don't know if they intend to revert to "old" pricing after your initial commitment ends, but this information should be on the Voom website soon. Keep in mind that they will charge you the $49 installation fee, but that is a lot better than $199!!

I'd be willing to pay the $49 installation if I didn't have to pay an extra $15/mo for another box. Small price to pay to get rid of the rabit ears in the bedroom. 3 receivers for less than what I currently pay for 2 is good! :D

Postponed...

Just got off a chat session with Voom about this promotion:

Me: Can you give me the details about the existing customer promotion that started today (I want to get an additional receiver)
Voom: I am sorry, unfortunately we do not have any further information on that promotion. There was a release to us today that it has been delayed.
Me: Do you know how long?
Voom: I do not know how long, I apologize.

ugh...

-Brad

Is anything ever simple with VOOM...

I too did the online chat last night. The Customer Rep couldn't pass along details regarding the promotion, but she did tell me to call the 800 number and place my order the following day (today). Well, called them on my drive into work (5am). CSR takes my order, but says they have to pass along my order ($1 install/$5 each receiver/6mo. service contract) for 2 additional receivers to the Escallation Department for final approval before can open a service call - a 2nd CSR and a knucklehead supervisor verify this factoid. They knew very few details about the promotion (only that one would be starting on the 1st). Anyway, I was then told to expect a return call (by the infamous Escallation Dept.) early NEXT WEEK. What!!! Arrgghh!!!

I should have gone with my gut and cancelled service last week. My receiver and remote would have been picked up this Saturday and I could have placed a new order this weekend.

Anyway, I cancelled service this morning and I'm going to ask the Missus to place an order for VOOM this evening and schedule installation for the same time as the deinstall. We'll see if this crashes their computer system. This stupidity has got to end!!!

Glad I kept my cancel order in...receiver goes back Saturday, then I order the service again. I agree...why can they just not make it simple...?

mlkeller said:
Glad I kept my cancel order in...receiver goes back Saturday, then I order the service again. I agree...why can they just not make it simple...?

That works? The don't have a first-time customer only stipulation? Both DTV and E* have that.

-John

jgantert said:
That works? The don't have a first-time customer only stipulation? Both DTV and E* have that.

-John

Yes, it is for former customers as well. CSR even explained that for the uninstall, they will only take the receiver and remote back, leave dish and antenna. As soon as they take it, we schedule the reinstall for two boxes . What a brain dead process... :mad: Fortunately, where I live, basic cable is part of the HOA fees, so I have normal programming, just not the HD...

So do curent customers get the stb rental rolled back to $5 as well or do we have to cancel and then reapply for Voom to save the $4.50/month extra rental fee?

Shelly

Update - they have the offer!

So, was all scheduled to have our service disconnected Saturday to then resign up with the new promotion, when we finally got a call from Voom. They offered us the deal to get a second box installed for $50 and the rental fees for each box $5 with a 6 month commitment. So, install of uninstalling tomorrow, now they are coming next week to add a second box.

...took them some time, but they finally got it right...

mlkeller said:
So, was all scheduled to have our service disconnected Saturday to then resign up with the new promotion, when we finally got a call from Voom. They offered us the deal to get a second box installed for $50 and the rental fees for each box $5 with a 6 month commitment. So, install of uninstalling tomorrow, now they are coming next week to add a second box.

...took them some time, but they finally got it right...
Yep, I too was able to change my uninstall to an install of two additional receivers $49/$5/60 mo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)