Untethered iOS5 jailbreak for all non-A5 devices

I really wish they could figure out how to hack the iPad 2. Hard to believe they've only pulled it off once with that pdf exploit

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket using SatelliteGuys iPhone app.

Yea, Cydiahelp.com reported it just before I went to bed this morning.
Including the Corona 5.0.1 Untether download from Cydia.

I'm not so interested in a working Unlock, but the untethered Jailbreak will be most welcome. :up

And I kinda hope the SnowBreeze guy gets in on the action.
That's what I used to JB, and found it quite friendly.
Think I'll wait a few days.

What's different about the A5 SoC that won't allow for the existing jailbreaks to work?
This is what one of the developers was saying back on 19 December:
... The untether fails right now because I’m having processor cache issues.
I’m close, but I can’t figure out what happens.
It certainly has something to do with the multicore cache management.
But truth is, until there's a fix, it's all just hot air.
Nobody can really predict.
But it IS being worked on, so if ya have a 4S, don't give up hope. - :up

This is what one of the developers was saying back on 19 December:

But truth is, until there's a fix, it's all just hot air.
Nobody can really predict.
But it IS being worked on, so if ya have a 4S, don't give up hope. - :up

I use an Android phone, but I try to stay on top of what's happening on other mobile platforms.

John Kotches said:
What's different about the A5 SoC that won't allow for the existing jailbreaks to work?

I think it has something to do with the boot sequence or something. I just remember the guy who did the original jailbreak mentioned that there is a fundamental difference with how the A5 boots as opposed to the A4. It was the same guy who did the Ps3 jailbreak.

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket using SatelliteGuys iPhone app.

Now I'm interested. ;)
The iH8sn0w guy is responsible for Sn0wBreeze (the JB'er I like).
Here is one of his tweets from earlier today.
Glad to see he's on the bandwagon! - :up
@iH8sn0w Just out of curiosity, has sn0wbreeze been updated yet to include Corona?
Wanna make me some pre-pwned ipsw's 5 hours ago
@GraphicGenesis I already got the untether integrated.
Just finishing up iFaith blobs integration. :) 5 hours ago

Last edited:
must be jellly, 'cause jam don't shake like that !

I gave it a day. There were some bugs.
They seem to now be ironed out in Corona 5.0.1
Release 1.0-3 is the current Corona.
I installed it right over my Sn0wBreeze 2.8b11 tethered jailbreak.
Then... Turn off phone. Turn on phone.
Took 45 seconds to boot 3GS.
Just works. - :up

Now running iOS 5.0.1, baseband 6.15.00
And Cydia self-updated somewhere along the way to ver 1.1.3

If I ever figure out what it takes to get decent battery life, I'll put this phone into service! ;)

I've been waiting for this and jumped at the chance to get iOS 5 up and running on my phone.

For some reason, iOS updates always take forever on my phone (it's probably the amount of data that needs to be restored after the update).

This time around I used the pkgbackup app to restore my jailbroken apps and settings "hassle free". Sadly, one of my pre-existing tweaks is not yet compatible with iOS 5. Restoring all jailbroken apps and preferences at once made it next to impossible to determine what was causing the phone to boot in safe mode.

Needless to say, many hours of experimenting and another full restore later, I finally got just about everything working again (minus a few apps that are not yet iOS 5 compatible). Working quite well. The new notification center with intelliscreenx integration is quite nice.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I've been running an untethered JB iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 on my 3GS for a long time already (pretty much right after iOS 5.0 came out). I just needed to wait until this JB download came up before I could update and JB my iPad.

After the Corona...
If the phone was on or idle and I plugged into a home charger (so far as I know) it liit up the screen and was fine.
I had it totally powered down, and plugged into the home charger (not a USB port on a computer), and it's not been the same since.

I can tether-boot it, but running Corona again didn't work.
Probably wait a few days to see what announcements appear, for ideas.
Otherwise, I'll probably just go through the full jailbreak procedure again (and be more careful).

Searching did turn up some older methods for fixing the battery drain I'm seeing.
It involved a utility called SAM, but that was specifically for pre-5.x iOS.
Is that still a valid fix for lowering the battery drain?

The JB itself will not wipe your phone. I have never had to resync anything after a JB, except for a few previously installed Cydia APPs.

What I would do is update your phone to iOS 5.0.1 through iTunes if it is not already done. Then when you do the JB skip the first couple of steps where it talks about upgrading your iOS. You will still need to download iOS 5.0.1 as a separate file and save it on your desktop or in a folder as you will need the JB APP to access the iOS during the JB process.

With that said, if your phone is running slow it maybe a good idea to to a clean restore install of iOS 5.0.1 anyway and then resync.

Last edited:
After you to a JB, the first APP from Cydia you should download is is PKGBackup. After you install all of the Cydia APPs you like, run PKGBackup and it will save all of your Cydia APPs and tweaks. This way next time you go to do a JB you will not have to remember all of your Cydia APPs and reinstall them. You will only have to reinstall PKGBackup form the Cydia store, run a restore from you last backup and all of the APPs will be reinstalled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)