Upcoming Dish Satellite Launches

HDRoberts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Cleveland, OH
While looking at the Ciel-2 thread, I was thinking, can we put together all information on Dish's satellites to be launched over the next several years? I would like to get a better grasp of what their future plans are, and it seems I know the names of the sats, and for some where they are going, but not what they will do for Dish. Please correct or add to this list!

Plus, I'm guessing this would serve as a reference, at least for those who can figure out how to do a search.

Name: Ciel-2
Orbital Slot: 129W
Launch Year: Dec 3, 2008
Payload: 16 CONUS TPs, 16 CONCanada TPS, 16 TPs devoted to 53 different spotbeams spread across the West, Southwest, South, and Midwest.
Purpose: Replace Echostar 5, expand HD LiL, Backup Echostar 10(?)
Footprint: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/150304-ciel-129w-footprints.html

Name: Nimiq-5
Orbital Slot: 72.7W
Launch Year: Beginning of 2010
Payload: ???
Purpose: Replace Echostar 6

Name: Echostar 14
Orbital Slot: 119W
Launch Year: 2010 (?)
Purpose: Replace or supplement Echostar 7

Name: Quetzsat-1
Orbital Slot: 77W
Launch Year: 2011
Purpose: Replace Echostar 8

Name: Echostar 15
Orbital Slot: ???
Launch Year: ???
Purpose: ???

What else do we know? What will take E3's place at 61.5? E15, as it was ordered just after the AMC-14 failure?. What kind of payload does Dish plan for Echostar 14 (or the others for that matter)? Dish was seeking some Ka licensees. Do they plan on doing anything with them? What is the plans for Echostar 13, which was supposed to served China? Any plans for it (if it was even built)? Any other sats, like an Echostar 16 in the works?

IIRC, E-15 was meant for another purpose, but I'll be darned if I can remember what.

This FCC filing details Echostar's FSS upcoming launch schedules and the BSS design/build status/schedule for 86.5W as of Summer 2008

Attachments

• 08EchoStar- 2008 Annual Report.pdf
    188.7 KB · Views: 213
Some of what I post here is speculation but some is based on information from Dish financial reports. First, Nimiq-5 is a CONUS/ConCanada satellite i.e., no spotbeams. It isscheduled for launch on a Proton. Dish has use of the 16 even TPs on it for use in the Eastern Arc. My feeling is that the E-6 satellite will be moved to 61.5 W after Nimiq 5 is operational to help out/replace the E-3 satellite since it provides very good CONUS coverage for the Eastern Arc at 72.7 W and should as well for 61.5 W.

Echostar-14 will have both CONUS and spotbeams and will go to 119 W. I am speculating that it will be a high powered satellite like E-11. It is possible it could be launched in late 2009 on a Proton.

I believe Quetzsat-1 will be a lot like Ciel-2, although it may only have spotbeams for the U.S. and have a ConMexico beam. The interference to Canadian slots at 72.7 W and 82 W makes it difficult to use this for CONUS. It could use the 16 odd TPS for U.S. spotbeams that are away from the Canadian border that also would not interfere with the even TPs Dish will be using at 72.7 W. I believe it also scheduled to be launched on a Proton.

I don't know much about Echostar-15 although I am almost positive it will be a DBS satellite and not a regular Ku band or Ka band satellite. It could go to 61.5 W, 148 W or 86.5 W. One poster is confusing this with the Echostar-13 or CMBStar satellite that was suppose to be a S-band satellite to be used to provide video to handheld devices in China for this year's Summer Olympics. There were some design problems and also launch vehicle availability problems so it was never launched. Dish is trying to figure out how to use this satellite. It could be reconfigured as a DBS, Ku or Ka band satellite.

Would not be suprised to see the two new Echostar KA satellites at 97W and 113W that will launch in 2009 be loaded with spots that blanket the remaining locals, much like Directv has accomplished with their cluster of KA satellites.

Would not be suprised to see the two new Echostar KA satellites at 97W and 113W that will launch in 2009 be loaded with spots that blanket the remaining locals, much like Directv has accomplished with their cluster of KA satellites.

Problem is, no one is pointed at either slot yet. I'm also not sure about their plans for 97W. That is no where close to any existing Dish satellite, 13 degrees off 110 and 20 degrees off 77. Its close to 86.5, but who knows whats going there. Could 86.5W or 97W be for future eastern arc? I would think 36 degrees would be too much to cover.

I do also believe they would have CONUS capability. I wouldn't think Dish would have loaded so many spots on Ciel-2 if just next year, they were going to launch a satellite for locals. Between Rainbow 1, Ciel 2 and Echostar 8, I think most of the country will be covered for HD LiL (providing all HD LiL in a market is a different story).

To receive Ka from 113, would a dish larger than a Dish 500 or Dish 1000 be required? If not, a simple LNB swap could get everyone pointed there for HD.

Some of what I post here is speculation but some is based on information from Dish financial reports. First, Nimiq-5 is a CONUS/ConCanada satellite i.e., no spotbeams. It isscheduled for launch on a Proton. Dish has use of the 16 even TPs on it for use in the Eastern Arc. My feeling is that the E-6 satellite will be moved to 61.5 W after Nimiq 5 is operational to help out/replace the E-3 satellite since it provides very good CONUS coverage for the Eastern Arc at 72.7 W and should as well for 61.5 W.

Makes sense. Any chance Dish could score the odd TPs DirecTV is giving up there, or do you think Bell (or another Canadian firm) will want them?

Echostar-14 will have both CONUS and spotbeams and will go to 119 W. I am speculating that it will be a high powered satellite like E-11. It is possible it could be launched in late 2009 on a Proton.

Also makes sense. I don't see, aside from cost, why Dish would want to launch a satellite with less power now that 20kw is available. Gives them much more flexibility, inducing, I imagine in this case, to make better use (or reuse) of the TPs set aside for spots. Launching sooner than I thought, too.

I believe Quetzsat-1 will be a lot like Ciel-2, although it may only have spotbeams for the U.S. and have a ConMexico beam. The interference to Canadian slots at 72.7 W and 82 W makes it difficult to use this for CONUS. It could use the 16 odd TPS for U.S. spotbeams that are away from the Canadian border that also would not interfere with the even TPs Dish will be using at 72.7 W. I believe it also scheduled to be launched on a Proton.

Could be why the eastern arc documentation specifies 77W is for LiL only.

Thanks for the information!

I wouldn't think Dish would have loaded so many spots on Ciel-2 if just next year, they were going to launch a satellite for locals. Between Rainbow 1, Ciel 2 and Echostar 8, I think most of the country will be covered for HD LiL (providing all HD LiL in a market is a different story).

No, providing all HD LiL in a market is the same story.

By Feb. 2013, Dish much carry every HD local channel (not just big 4) in every market where they have locals.

By Feb. 2013, most local channels will have converted to HD.

Given how long it takes between ordering a satellite and launch, Dish has to order all the satellites they will ever use, now.

No, providing all HD LiL in a market is the same story.

By Feb. 2013, Dish much carry every HD local channel (not just big 4) in every market where they have locals.

By Feb. 2013, most local channels will have converted to HD.

Given how long it takes between ordering a satellite and launch, Dish has to order all the satellites they will ever use, now.

Well, between Echostar 10, Rainbow 1, Ciel 2, Echostar 14, and Quetzsat 1, 3 of which are yet to be launched, it may be possible Dish will have it covered with Ka capacity. Who knows what Echostar 15 holds, too? And maybe by 2013, Dish will have everyone on MPEG4, eliminating the need for duplicate SD and HD feeds. My point was just that Dish doesn't not have to reserve Ka capacity exclusively for LiL.

A new FCC filing from yesterday states that Dish has completed the critical design review for a new DBS satellite slated for the 86.5 Canadian slot. Anybody know if this is Echostar-15, or is this for something further out?

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=-158633

My guess is that it is something further out but it could be for E-15. In reading the filing especially the downlink map, it appears that this satellite could be used in Mexico as well perhaps in combination with the satellite(s) at 77 W. Dish needs more spotbeam capability and a dish that can receive signals from 61.5 W through 86.5 W will have to be pretty big. Trading TPs on 86.5 W for more spotbeam capability on 77 W might be what Dish is up to. Dish might not be able to do it now because of FCC approval and the need for future agreements with Mexico.

Well, it appears Nimiq-5 will get the go this year. Anik from Nasaspaceflight is now reporting Nimiq-5 will get the go at the beginning of August, 2009 on a Proton/Briz rocket (same as the succesful Ciel-2 and the failed AMC-14).

Plan of Russian space launches

As reported above, Nimiq-5 is headed to 72.7 to replace Echostar 6, which in turn may be freed to support 61.5, perhaps leading to TPs 17, 19, 21, and 23 on Rainbow 1 turned on in spot mode.

Interestingly, it appears the next scheduled launch after Nimiq-5 is DirecTV 12 in late September.

Unfortunately, no word yet on Echostar 14, which also might get the go this year. However, with only 7 launches, 2 of which may delayed or put up on another vehicle, there may be space yet.

Well, it appears Nimiq-5 will get the go this year. Anik from Nasaspaceflight is now reporting Nimiq-5 will get the go at the beginning of August, 2009 on a Proton/Briz rocket (same as the succesful Ciel-2 and the failed AMC-14).

Plan of Russian space launches

As reported above, Nimiq-5 is headed to 72.7 to replace Echostar 6, which in turn may be freed to support 61.5, perhaps leading to TPs 17, 19, 21, and 23 on Rainbow 1 turned on in spot mode.

Interestingly, it appears the next scheduled launch after Nimiq-5 is DirecTV 12 in late September.

Unfortunately, no word yet on Echostar 14, which also might get the go this year. However, with only 7 launches, 2 of which may delayed or put up on another vehicle, there may be space yet.

Let's hope there is a slot for E-14 to launch this year or at the latest early next year. In an early post you had speculated about Dish getting use of the other 16 TPs at 72.7 W when Nimiq 5 is launched. I wonder if there are Canadian restrictions similar to Ciel-2 where only half the satellite can be leased for non-Canadian use until the satellite is launched but my guess would be no. Actually Dish is subleasing the 16 TPs from Bell who is leasing the entire spacecraft from Telesat (which used to be owned by Bell). Certainly Bell could use a D1000 dish to pick up signals from 72.7, 82 and 92 W slots. This would give Bell use of 80 TPs which is a lot considering the limited number of locals channels that need to be provided.

Let's hope there is a slot for E-14 to launch this year or at the latest early next year. In an early post you had speculated about Dish getting use of the other 16 TPs at 72.7 W when Nimiq 5 is launched. I wonder if there are Canadian restrictions similar to Ciel-2 where only half the satellite can be leased for non-Canadian use until the satellite is launched but my guess would be no. Actually Dish is subleasing the 16 TPs from Bell who is leasing the entire spacecraft from Telesat (which used to be owned by Bell). Certainly Bell could use a D1000 dish to pick up signals from 72.7, 82 and 92 W slots. This would give Bell use of 80 TPs which is a lot considering the limited number of locals channels that need to be provided.

I, too, wonder what is the fate of the other 16 TPs at 72.7. DirecTV is in the process of clearing some more locals from there.

I would hope Bell would at least consider some more efficient use of their spectrum by upgrading to MPEG4 before missing out on the money making chance to lease TP space to Dish.

I wish they could just do the smart thing: have a beam covering the US and Canada and put up programming carried by both on the overlapping space.

SiriusXM has 2 launches scheduled this year: an early June slot with an ILS Proton, and an undetermined SeaLaunch slot (1 each of the XM and Sirius style satellites). Maybe Dish can get one of those given the financial condition of SiriusXM. Though I'm not sure E14 would be ready for a June launch.

Did a little more research on Nimiq 5 and found provisions from Industry Canada. They appear to be exactly the same as those for Ciel-2 i.e., that half of the TPs (16) need to be reserved for Canadian use up to the time of launch of the satellite then after that Telesat can lease them to anyone. Bell has a lease on the entire satellite and is subleasing 16 TPs to Dish. My guess is that Dish will end up with all 32 TPs at 72.7 W once Nimiq 5 is launched. If I recall correctly, the DirecTV lease ends either at the end of 2009 or when a new satellite is placed there which in this case is Nimiq 5 now scheduled to launch in early August of 2009. I know DirecTV is moving programming off of the 72.5 W slot but do not know if they need the D-12 satellite to be operational to move everything off from there. Here is the Industry Canada website address on Nimiq 5:

Spectrum Management and Telecommunications - Telesat Canada - Revised Conditions of Licence

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)