Upcoming install with an MRV & VOD Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryotgz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
USA
As most know I am getting D* installed to replace E* this Sunday.

I ordered online with two HD DVRs and MRV. I did not add the selection for "TV Internet Connection Service". I didn't think I needed this because my router is literally right next to where the receiver will be and thought the charge was to run an ethernet cable to the receiver.

With that said, I want to make sure I can watch the shows on my PC and use VOD along with the MVR. I have been reading more and looks like the $25 ""TV Internet Connection Service" is for a box that will connect the DECA to your home network so VOD works, correct? If so, do I need to add the $25 charge prior to the install?

As most know I am getting D* installed to replace E* this Sunday.

I ordered online with two HD DVRs and MRV. I did not add the selection for "TV Internet Connection Service". I didn't think I needed this because my router is literally right next to where the receiver will be and thought the charge was to run an ethernet cable to the receiver.

With that said, I want to make sure I can watch the shows on my PC and use VOD along with the MVR. I have been reading more and looks like the $25 ""TV Internet Connection Service" is for a box that will connect the DECA to your home network so VOD works, correct? If so, do I need to add the $25 charge prior to the install?

I'm still a bit of a noob here, but I know that the $25 charge is suppose to cover that part of the install.......taking your COAX network and connecting it to your router for both VOD and things like Direc2PC.

I don't know what happens if you don't have that and you tell the installer you want it. I have a feeling they would. I had mine on my order, so there was no question about it. Hopefully someone else can answer that part.

Have you submitted your online rebate yet? If not, they can probably still add that to your order. You will not get the $10 back via BING I don't believe since you added it after your order.

Do you have ethernet already run to the location where your receivers are going to be placed? If so you don't need the connection kit, but you would need to use the ethernet instead of DECA for MRV. Ethernet is not supported by Directv but works just fine.

$25 is also for the deca bb unit that would be placed in the system. Which would be require in this install.

If you took the ethernet and plugged it up into the box, it would mess up your MRV viewing. You would have to go the route Jag is speaking about.

Yes, pay for it. I did. Order it now so it gets done during install. If you want to use DirecTV to PC or VOD you will need it.

I didn't get the Internet connection installed because I will not use it. I had Dish and only used it a few times (yes I know Direct VOD is better). Until either Dish or Direct get a true VOD and a download on demand, I'm not interested.
I have a Roku to enjoy anyway.:)

BTW. My installer told me that a Ethernet connection to my router would not mess up my MRV.lol

I trust you guys instead.:)

I wish I would have gotten this done on my original install a couple of weeks ago.

You can use ethernet for vod, but this disables mrv. You have to plug in ethernet, restart the receiver, download vod, wait, unplug ethernet, restart receiver, and then you can watch whatever vod on any other receiver.

If you are even thinking about watching any vod, get it installed on your original order. It's too much hassle using the workaround listed above.

Well what would take care of all of this make it simple is just to have them put a cable drop where your router is. Then just plug the DECA in your router then the other end to the new cable drop which goes back to the SWIM switch. Then this does everything gets all of your devices on the net plus MVR and all the other features..

Yes, I have the router right next to receiver with an open port on it. I could use MRV through ethernet but stone cold (I think) mentioned it would not be as good that way. I haven't submitted my rebate yet thanks to what I've read on the site.

So I plan on calling DirecTV and adding the TV Internet Service as well as an additional SD receiver thanks to the tip from mcfehn that our area is "HD only" and will be a free HD receiver.

Thanks everyone.

Just got off of the phone with customer service and she wasn't able to add it to my order. She said would have to cancel the order and reschedule it, but if she did that I would lose my install date I selected and have to choose a later date. The date I selected I didn't want to lose so she said the best she can do right now is notate the account to bring a standard receiver then to call them after the install for the TV internet service.

You can use ethernet for vod, but this disables mrv.

It does not disable MRV. It only disables the internal DECA module. If you have all your receivers connected via ethernet you can use MRV without any issues. Now if you are depending on the coax to carry your network to the other receivers then you must have the internet module.

Yes, I have the router right next to receiver with an open port on it. I could use MRV through ethernet but stone cold (I think) mentioned it would not be as good that way.

It is just not supported by Directv with ethernet. It works just fine though as many people are still using it as they didn't want to pay the upgrade to use the DECA modules.

It is just not supported by Directv with ethernet. It works just fine though as many people are still using it as they didn't want to pay the upgrade to use the DECA modules.

Hmm.. if there is no difference at all besides unsupported then it doesn't really matter. Just irritating she couldn't change my order to include a standard receiver without cancelling the order and re-doing it. So I guess I can hope they bring one, but somehow doubt it.

edit: Stone, if you think you can help me by adding a Standard Receiver to my order with keeping the same install date please let me know :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts