Upcoming "mid July" 942 promotion for existing customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Michigan
I've read a few other threads about a Dish 942 promotion that is supposed to be announced "mid July"...right around the corner. Coincidentally I had a dream that I picked up a 942 at Costco for $250 (purchase price)...will this dream become a reality? Any rumors about what the promotion will entail?

Watch out, if E* is trying to unload these it could mean an MPEG4 unit is around the corner.

BobaBird said:
Maybe they're finally making it available through regular channels so we don't have to go through the ceo e-mail.

Call me cynical, but I think that E* acting rationally on making942 available to existing subs can only mean that they are about to turn on the MPEG-4 data stream for HDTV and make them all obsolete :(

jayn_j said:
Call me cynical, but I think that E* acting rationally on making942 available to existing subs can only mean that they are about to turn on the MPEG-4 data stream for HDTV and make them all obsolete :(

I agree. This does sound like the most logical reason and makes the most business sense.

It was not long ago when I heard that they were ramping up production of the 942 even though they had already announced that MPEG-4 HD DVR would be rolled out later this year. If we can get a great deal on the 942 then perhaps it would mean a free/cheap swapout to the new receiver when it comes out (cheaper than retail).

Stargazer said:
It was not long ago when I heard that they were ramping up production of the 942 even though they had already announced that MPEG-4 HD DVR would be rolled out later this year. If we can get a great deal on the 942 then perhaps it would mean a free/cheap swapout to the new receiver when it comes out (cheaper than retail).

I wonder if that is what they will do...I won't get a 942 (unless it is DIRT CHEAP) unless I know what the upgrade path will be to MPEG4.

When I signed up for the 942 deal/lease, Dish told me that this unit would work for mpeg4 or they would provide me with an upgrade?

Did I get snookerrrreed?

I hope you didn't get snookerrrreed! I'm thinking about doing the same.

It is July 14 by the way...any news on a 942 deal?

I called twice and there is no deal. They wanted me to pay $798 to purchase the 942 and get it installed.

I'm beginning to wonder why I should stay with dish.

Hey Guys,

I, like most of E*'s current customers, have been waiting for a good deal to upgrade. I called Dish in anticipation of this "deal" and the c.s.r. wasn't even aware of such a thing. We would really like to watch some HD programming, but also can't live without the DVR features we have with our 510.

And unfortunately, Dish's so called promo is just b.s. as of NOW. I'm still holding out hope they come up with something soon however.

As for the supposed July 14 announcement......could it have anything to do with the free DVR and HD upgrades offered through dishtv dot-com ? I'm not sure how long this has been around, I just saw it today.

E* to my knowledge never said July 14th. "Mid-July" to me means the 15th, 16th, or whenever E* pulls their act together. I guess it could have been today, but it appears that no one has heard anything.

Don't concern yourself with the MPEG-4 coming soon, it will take Dish about 3 years to get to the MPEG-2 cutoff point for the HD channels, then they'll have something even more cool to upgrade to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)