update 30nch just had rain fade

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Promised to update all on 30 inch performance.

Well It just had its first loss in the fight against rain fade.

Up to now lite to moderate rain had not swayed signal much lower then 84-86 with a norm of 96-97 here in Seattle Wa area (weakest sq area in USA)

Well we just had very deep dark thunderstorm clouds with med to heavy sporatic rain roll thru and my signal dropped to 68-71 an signal was lost for approx 10 minutes until the clouds broke up over the horizon moving west.
Rain was still heavy but signal came back and stabilized under heavy rain at 76-82. Just shows out here the heavy rain soaked clouds on the eastern horizon are more DOOMing then the heavy rain.

Still very happy. First problem yet, and My D* or E* may have flickered too but I did not turn them on.

Still love this dish out here.

FYI. Bob next door with his VoOm 18 inch standard lost all signal for half hour.

Gotta love it.

Later

Speaking of rain fade...
We had a severe thunderstorm the other day. The entire area was left without electricity for almost 10 hours. I guess there is no such thing as weather-proof satellite reception... ;)

iceshark said:
Marysville Wa about 70 miles from Canada border.

You are going to need one too>!

Yea i was wondering if we are close and we are!! :shocked Well this news sucks i am lucky to be getting voom where i live anyway?? Boy i wish they would get a west coast sat.. Winters in the NW can be bad!!

I think its funny how people think they are going to stop the affects of weather on Sat reception. I think I am going to develop a sat umbrella and get rich.

vurbano said:
I think its funny how people think they are going to stop the affects of weather on Sat reception. I think I am going to develop a sat umbrella and get rich.

I think people are really just hoping to get the same level of signal consistency that people with Dish or DirecTV see. With Voom a new term has entered my vocabulary. Cloud fade.

Iceshark, in this area of the country, we will have to live with rainfade, the sat is just too low in the sky. I live about 25 miles South of Portland, OR and Saturday was a good test, the sky to the East looking at the sat was fairly clear but the skies above me dumped buckets. My signal was 85 with a 24" dish. As the storm progressed and tracked further East and the sky where the sat is became solid black, my signal eventually dropped to ZERO until the clouds lightened up some. I also tested my Dish signal while the sky above me was dumping and the signal was very high since their sat sits almost due South, the signal remains strong.

Since we don't often get heavy rain like that I can live with periodic signal loss, at least we have OTA to fall back on.

It's Funny With D* & E* You Get Rain Fade, But With V* You Get Cloud Fade.
On Sunday It Was Partly Cloudy But To The East (Several Miles) There Were Dark Clouds & I Lost Signal (69-71) For About 5 Min.s

I live in torrential rain-prone Florida. We're just starting to get our summer rains. It will get much worse than what it has been since I put in Voom. I lose signal if there is heavy rain approaching from the east. Signal goes from 96-97 to almost nothing. Rain right over me doesn't seem to be a problem. So far signal has only been lost for a couple minutes at the most. I think that will get worse when the real rainy season arrives. I have a 24" dish I bought myself before I learned you "might" be able to talk Voom into a 30" dish.

wbuffetta said:
It's Funny With D* & E* You Get Rain Fade, But With V* You Get Cloud Fade.
On Sunday It Was Partly Cloudy But To The East (Several Miles) There Were Dark Clouds & I Lost Signal (69-71) For About 5 Min.s

Funny but true! your all correct. Its not the rain its when you get thick moisture filled clouds layered one after another to the east horizon.

The good news for us here out west is that most storms and cloudsets hang out or come to us from the north or north west going eastward. They usually dont hang on the eastern horizon but the west..

I will say though that the 30inch did perform much better then the standard does even with cloud fade as you get more gain from the signal making thru the clouds.

Guess we will live with it until Rainbow gets a hint and rents or buys some transponders on a satellite more west on the Clark belt.

My VOOM blacked out today because of rain fade. I called VOOM to report it, thought the CSR would tell me I needed to have my dish peaked but he said "you may need some more LNB's or a larger dish" so he set up a service call.... Aren't separate LNB's for separate satellites?

Hey guys, this isn't just a west coast phenomenon.

I'm in central Alabama with a fairly high dish elevation.

I got "cloud fade" 10 minutes before a storm hit and Voom was dead for about an hour.

Considering that we're getting new dishes to facilitate the additional channels on the second satellite (leased space), I'm backing off of buying my own 30" dish and will just wait for Voom to replace the existing dish.

JimP said:
I'm backing off of buying my own 30" dish and will just wait for Voom to replace the existing dish.

Hey my first post! What dish (& LNB) does Voom use and where can I buy my own 30 inch.
My system was installed last Thrsday. Since late Saturday night I have had on-again, off-again rain and programing. A call to Voom resulting in them having me do a soft reboot of my receiver which fixed nothing.

Lord Of The Ring Dings

LOTRingDings said:
Hey my first post! What dish (& LNB) does Voom use and where can I buy my own 30 inch.
My system was installed last Thrsday. Since late Saturday night I have had on-again, off-again rain and programing. A call to Voom resulting in them having me do a soft reboot of my receiver which fixed nothing.

Lord Of The Ring Dings
The same ones that D* & E* use.

Voom just installed a 30 inch dish for me at no cost. I went through Joe Harkins at installs inc, which I guess is not an option anymore, but if you push them you should be able to get one.

Keep in mind that if your dish is upgraded in size, it should be repeaked. The reason is that an 18" dish has a much wider beam width than a 24" or 30". This means that an 18" can be aimed slightly off and it won't matter as much as it would for a larger dish. If you simply bolt a larger dish in place without peaking, you will likely not be getting the best signal possible. The original poster who still saw rain fade may want to get it peaked if the installer did not do that...

LOTRingDings said:
I found this URL for Winegard dishes. I'm not sure if the Voom LNB is the D, Universal or RCA type tube feed. $49 doesn't seem too bad for a 30 incher.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/wing2.htm

They are in MA

It's the RCA. The LNB that comes with the Voom 18" dish will fit right into the new arm that comes with the larger dish. I bought a 24" dish from these folks prior to my install (didn't think I had room for the 30" - should have gone for it) and my installer commented on what a very nice, solid dish it is. Easy to see side-by-side that the Winegard dish is of a heavier, stronger material.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)