Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SatelliteGuys continues to grow by leaps and bounds. Out of all of the Home Theater / Satellite Sites on the Internet we are ranked number 2 out of them all!

THANK YOU!

alexa.jpg

If you are a supporting pub member then you know we are working aggressively on our next big thing. And that big thing is another server upgrade!

Imagine if we took our current mammoth server and replaced it with a even faster server! Well it's going to happen!

We are proud to announce today that we will soon be ordering a brand new SatelliteGuys server which will replace our current server...

What's wrong with our current server??? NOTHING

Up until now we have rented our server, however for the first time ever we will be owning our own server! By owning our own server we will be able to reduce our monthly costs by almost 80%!

Besides the cost saving we will also be moving to a much more powerfull server. I am proud today to give you the specs of our new server.

CHIPSET
8132 HyperTransport, 8111 I/O hub.
1 64-BIT PCI-X 133/100MHz.
CPUs
2x AMD Opteron Dual Core 280
MEMORY
6GB PC3200 ECC Registered DDR.
8 Memory Sockets FOR DDR Memory.
Max 16GB DDR SDRAM Support.
CASE
1U Rackmount Case 500W power supply.
4 Hot-Swap SATA Bays.
FLOPPY/CD
Floppy and CDROM included with Chassis.
HARD DISK
4x 250GB SATA Hard Disk.
SATA Controller
4 Port 3Ware SATA Raid Controller
VGA
Onboard ATI 8MB VGA.
NETWORK
2 x Gigabit LAN Onboard.

The new server will be setup in a RAID 1+0 Setup (Raid 10) for maximum data security and speed.

In addition with the new server we will be moving our hosting to one of Americas highest rated ISP's. This ISP has many GigE Interconnects with most of the major backbone providers in the USA. These interconnects will make SatelliteGuys even faster for you!

Now while we will be upgrading we will not be rushing to do so however the upgrade is expected to be completed within the next 2 months. Our server Guru LER (Larry) and I will be working on the new server making sure everything is perfect and secure before we move anything over to the new server.

We will be ordering this server next week and will begin working on things once it arrives.

Also as of May 1st we will be doing some more changes to our forums based on your feedback and suggestions, we do hope you enjoy these changes.

We also have some more exciting things coming down the line but this new server is a big leap for us, one we are proud of. We hope you will enjoy it as we continue to improve SatelliteGuys for you.

Thank you for your support!​

BTW for those of you wonder what we are running now here are the specs on our current server.

Dual CPU + Dual Core Opteron 265
8GB DDR Registered ECC
Dual 36GB SCSI / Hardware Raid 1

Scott, have you ever thought of local OTA forums? that way we can chat with each other about our own Local broadcasts, instead of taking up space and losing threads in a much more broader forum?

by the way, cant wait to see what the next 2 months hold! where is your tagline stay tuned?

June looks like it's going to be a HOT month for us here at SatelliteGuys, it's no secret that I will be headed out to Denver for a week at Dish Network for Team Summit. :)

I am very hopefull that I will be able to offer SatelliteGuys members a tour of the Dish Network uplink center and also one of the call centers. :)

And yes good things are coming STAY TUNED!!

Scott Greczkowski said:
June looks like it's going to be a HOT month for us here at SatelliteGuys, it's no secret that I will be headed out to Denver for a week at Dish Network for Team Summit. :)

I am very hopefull that I will be able to offer SatelliteGuys members a tour of the Dish Network uplink center and also one of the call centers. :)

And yes good things are coming STAY TUNED!!

You mean they are going to fly you out to India? Sweet!! I hear the food is good.

Great job Scott!!

An extensive equipment section and expertise is needed if we hope to pass AVS. Hope its Ok to say "we". I post far more here now than there.

We have some stuff planned that you might like Vurbano. :)

We will be letting our Supporters know whats up on Friday or Saturday.

If it were me Id offer PTVupgrade their own forum section and get all of that traffic. It would be beneficial to both.

With this number of members are you going to some type of yearly billing to keep supporting this Group? I belong to two others and they send a notice to renew each year, or just charge my PayPal Account. Would be a lot of work but could be sublet at a fair price I suspect. Great job!!!

Rickaren, you are a supporting founder meaning you will have pub access for the life of the site, however new pub members only get access to the pub members only features for a year.

This helps us keep revenue coming in so we can pay the bills. :)

Now for a NEW SERVER UPDATE!

Last week the new server was ordered, we upgraded the hard drives from 7200RPM drives to 10,000RPM drives. I just got a status update from our vendor letting us know our new server was now undergoing burn in testing and would be shipping this Thursday!

The server will be shipped to me where we will get it all ready for shipping to our new ISP in Dallas when its ready. We are looking at mailing it out in mid June. (I will be away for over 2 weeks coming up... 1 week on a Family Cruise and the week after that I will be at Dish Network in Denver for Team Summit.)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Rickaren, you are a supporting founder meaning you will have pub access for the life of the site, however new pub members only get access to the pub members only features for a year.

This helps us keep revenue coming in so we can pay the bills. :)

Now for a NEW SERVER UPDATE!

Last week the new server was ordered, we upgraded the hard drives from 7200RPM drives to 10,000RPM drives. I just got a status update from our vendor letting us know our new server was now undergoing burn in testing and would be shipping this Thursday!

The server will be shipped to me where we will get it all ready for shipping to our new ISP in Dallas when its ready. We are looking at mailing it out in mid June. (I will be away for over 2 weeks coming up... 1 week on a Family Cruise and the week after that I will be at Dish Network in Denver for Team Summit.)

Which link should I use for further donation if I want to keep my "supporting founder" status?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Besides the cost saving we will also be moving to a much more powerfull server. I am proud today to give you the specs of our new server.

CHIPSET
8132 HyperTransport, 8111 I/O hub.
1 64-BIT PCI-X 133/100MHz.
CPUs
2x AMD Opteron Dual Core 280
MEMORY
6GB PC3200 ECC Registered DDR.
8 Memory Sockets FOR DDR Memory.
Max 16GB DDR SDRAM Support.
CASE
1U Rackmount Case 500W power supply.
4 Hot-Swap SATA Bays.
FLOPPY/CD
Floppy and CDROM included with Chassis.
HARD DISK
4x 250GB SATA Hard Disk.
SATA Controller
4 Port 3Ware SATA Raid Controller
VGA
Onboard ATI 8MB VGA.
NETWORK
2 x Gigabit LAN Onboard.
The new server will be setup in a RAID 1+0 Setup (Raid 10) for maximum data security and speed.

What, no cup holder?!?! What a rip!

;)

Thanks for your work, and this site Scott (and LER and all other Staff members and Supporters).

Last edited:
Actually the CD ROM can double as a cup holder. (I hope Ler does not read that)

I love this new server. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.