UPDATED - Dish drops WWE PPV changes mind Will Show Wrestlemania

robk299

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Cahokia, IL
On my Facebook, there was a post that people couldn't order the Elimination Chamber through Dish. I checked my account online & it's not listed.

WWE Network launches on Feb 24, but Dish decided to be the first to tell WWE to leave. WWE is screwing over the cable companies by going the iPPV route by launching their network, you gonna have no choice but to sign up online on launch day and pay less for more WWE Content though your computer, Xbox 360, PS3 or PS4, Roku, Chromecast and other things that allow WWE network to be seen. and i wouldn't be surprise to see WWE Network on actual cable companies if WWE wants to cable companies to stay happy.

you may have no choice but to watch Elimination Chamber online though WWE.com webstream or an illegal webstream as the network launches the next day.

Last edited:
If that the case, was done without much fanfare, Direct kind of made a public announcement or it was made public, not to long until the network starts!

I am hearing NBCU is upset at WWE for using airtime on their shows to advertise and promote the WWE Network. The network will take eyes away from NBCU especially with them airing RAW, Smackdown and NXT after they air on USA and SYFI because it makes these shows available on Demand, meaning people will not have to watch live anymore.

In addition WWE is seeking somewhere between 2 and 3 times more for NBC to continue airing their programming. I think this is a big mistake by the WWE.

Now DISH dropping the WWE PPV's I also think is a Mistake as it will be taking away WWE events from those who could never subscribe to the WWE Network even if they wanted to. Out of all the WWE fans out there, the ammount of them which have the broadband needed to make it work is small and they will rely on their cable or satellite providers to bring them the PPV's. IN addition their PPV's are some of the highest grossing PPV's that any satellite company airs. I am not sure why DISH is upset at the WWE since the WWE offered them the WWE Network last year as a premium service.

Now you might remember that DIRECTV made noise about dropping the WWE PPV's as well, but I am hearing that as much as DIRECTV wants to, they can't drop the PPV's as the WWE PPV's are licensed to sports bars, restaurants and big chains such as Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings via DIRECTV. It is unknown when those contracts expire.

It is my opinion that sometime in the future you will see the live WWE Network Channel available on DISH and DIRECTV for $9.99 a month (Or more since they can advertise you can get it without broadband.) and then everyone will be happy again.

Ok so let me get this straight, WWE will no longer carry PPV's on Dish but will be available still on Direct? Check.

WWE may end up pulling off of USA and SYFI soon in the near future?

DirecTV isn't going to get effected as much?

Direct TV wants to drop it, but may not be able to as soon as they would like. That is what Scott wrote. Check.

Not certain about the problem with Raw and Smackdown. If you don't watch it live/"live", you miss seeing it live/"live". People will want to watch it in the first run.

For those that don't, whether on Sat or online, you can skip the commercials on the DVR anyway, so there isn't much of a loss. If people don't watch it live, they'll miss the commercials regardless.

How many people actually have cable just because of WWE anyway? I can't imagine the number is large. I don't see WWE being a cord cutting issue. I think the WWE Network will be a boom for WWE. The number of buys for PPV's will jump through the roof at the new price point. The only thing holding them back would be broadband availability for the fan base.

Not certain about the problem with Raw and Smackdown. If you don't watch it live/"live", you miss seeing it live/"live". People will want to watch it in the first run.

For those that don't, whether on Sat or online, you can skip the commercials on the DVR anyway, so there isn't much of a loss. If people don't watch it live, they'll miss the commercials regardless.

How many people actually have cable just because of WWE anyway? I can't imagine the number is large. I don't see WWE being a cord cutting issue. I think the WWE Network will be a boom for WWE. The number of buys for PPV's will jump through the roof at the new price point. The only thing holding them back would be broadband availability for the fan base.

Right, I install for many people that really are into WWE so they will not be happy with no PPV options and many of which don't have broadband. I see a movement over this from Dish to Direct by a large amount of people that follow WWE close.

WWE is screwing over the cable companies by going the iPPV route by launching their network.

How is WWE "screwing over" the cable companies? As a publicly traded company, they answer to their shareholders... uh.. McMahon. If they choose to go the IPTV route and keep then entire pie for themselves...then good for them.

Cable companies, imo, have been screwing viewers for years so its nice they get a little kick in the derriere... besides, IPTV is the future they should either adapt or go the Blockbuster route.

Right, I install for many people that really are into WWE so they will not be happy with no PPV options and many of which don't have broadband. I see a movement over this from Dish to Direct by a large amount of people that follow WWE close.

While I agree not everyone has broadband, but those who dont must be a very small minority.. thinking maybe 5% of the population.

This may backfire on both sides especially the provides that don't carry it but also on WWE but people that don't have broadband and for people it will surely hurt and may force them to go to providers that carry it but hopefully this comes to resolution fast for all parties especially the people that don't have broadband but we will see!! :)

It is odd that they would drop the PPV for February because the network doesn't launch until the day after.
The aggregate number can't be that big... the buy rates for WWE PPV are awful compared to what they used to be. How many switched from Directv to Dish back in the day when Directv and WWE scuffled over it and didn't show WWE PPVs for a number of months?

That question is rhetorical, I don't expect you to actually have the number handy.

It is odd that they would drop the PPV for February because the network doesn't launch until the day after.
The aggregate number can't be that big... the buy rates for WWE PPV are awful compared to what they used to be. How many switched from Directv to Dish back in the day when Directv and WWE scuffled over it and didn't show WWE PPVs for a number of months?

That question is rhetorical, I don't expect you to actually have the number handy.

This is purely over hatred for what the WWE is doing because why would they not drop the TNA PPVs vs. WWE PPVs. The buy rates for the WWE PPVs would still be higher vs. The buy rates for the TNA PPVs. (and I order TNA ppvs so I'm not saying this because of a biased opinion based on the fact that I like one federation over the other federation)

Also I really can't see how WWE Network will effect ratings on USA Network and SYFY. I imagine they will air RAW replays before Friday Night Smackdown and Friday Night Smackdown replays before RAW. By this time replays of both shows have already aired on Mun2, Univision and Telemundo. WWE Programming has one thing going for it and that most people watch it live vs. dvr and watch later which is why Vince & company probably think their programming is worth more in the long run.

Anyways DISH's decision to eliminate the elimination chamber doesn't bother me as the only WWE PPVs I've ordered in the past decade are Wrestlemania and the occasional Summerslam. I'll be subscribing to the WWE Network on day one so I won't miss much.

Also I don't believe that the WWE Network 24/7 channel will be commercial free. I expect eventually they will run advertising on this channel once a solid subscriber base is established so they can give out subscription numbers to potential advertisers. Neon Alley is the anime equivalent to the WWE Network and they run commercials on their channel and subscribers pay $6.99/month for it. I expect the VOD content to be commercial free.

Last edited:
We have sent an inquiry to DISH but have still not heard anything back, which is unusual for DISH.

Some may say its because today is a Holiday... well as we know DISH does not take Holidays. So we sit and wait.

This is purely over hatred for what the WWE is doing because why would they not drop the TNA PPVs vs. WWE PPVs. The buy rates for the WWE PPVs would still be higher vs. The buy rates for the TNA PPVs. (and I order TNA ppvs so I'm not saying this because of a biased opinion based on the fact that I like one federation over the other federation)
Exactly right. Dish and DirecTV have the most to lose because satellite providers don't have another source of income like cable providers have (broadand), so IPTV really hurts them. But like Scott said, everyone had an opportunity to sign on with the network , but didn't. This action by Dish (if true) reminds me of the rumor about why BBC iplayer never made it to the USA. The rumor was that the pay-tv providers told the BBC that they would drop BBC America if it was ever released here.

While I agree not everyone has broadband, but those who dont must be a very small minority.. thinking maybe 5% of the population.

lol no its much larger than you think. I would say in this area where I'm at that over 40% of people in a 50mile radius do NOT have any type of broadband service and many of those may have Satellite broadband but that is worthless when you factor in the amount restrictions of usage. Don't include those on 3G or 4G either as again you run into usage restrictions...hell I go to area's that don't even have cell service to make a call still and that is sad.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/30-percent-of-americans-no-broadband/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)