Updated feature requests for receivers (2008)

That reminds me of another one:

Remember the "format" settings, i.e. Normal, Stretch, Zoom, and so on, on a per-channel basis. TV1 and TV2 outputs should have their own memory too.

A master DVR server with multiple SAT and ATO tuners and slave boxes setup at each tv would be a great idea if they could make it cost effective. It'd be even better if they could do it with a wireless LAN.

You aren't going to see the receivers get WLAN anytime soon. It's not easy enough for the average home user to setup a wireless network. That's why they are installing HomePlug in all the 622and 722 boxes now. They will basically network with each other without the user knowing anything about how to set them up.

Here is my wish-list. I'd like to be able to do the following things:

1. View photos in HD.
I like being able to store home photo albums in the DVR, but unfortunately I never use this feature because the picture quality is so poor (SD resolution).

2. Do some primitive program editing.
Since the program guide is often wrong about the length of the program I often end up with recordings that are either much longer than needed or, even worse, programs (e.g. sports events) that are split into several parts. I'd like to be able to trim, split and combine recorded programs before I archive them to an external hard drive.

3. Organize saved programs into folders.
I'd like to be able to manually organize my archived programs into folders on the external drive.

Definitely agree on the program editing. At least let us cut the ends and beginnings of a recording. That way the advertisers don't completely get their panties in a twist.

I would like everything to be converted and stored in MPEG-4 to save space on the drive. I doubt the 622\722 has the horsepower to do it though.

I would like dish to partner up with Netflix. If we could store 3-5 netflix movies (just like having 3 discs out) at a time on the box, and they were actually decent quality. HD movies in HD etc. I think it would be a no brainier for Netflix...downloads don't get scratched and broken in the mail. And really the download limitation isn't as bad as people think, it takes a day to get physical media so what is the big deal with downloading over night. 30GB = 300Gb/6Mbps ~14hrs. I don't know about your mail service but thats a lot faster than mine.

Dish and Netflix could figure out a way to split the savings from not having to mail and replace dvds. Also you don't have to stock a 1000 dvds of a new release and then it 6 months have to get rid of them, or watch them die off through abuse. They could even setup a torrent off of multiple users boxes (as long as they don't use comcrap ) and take some load off of their servers. I would pay 20-30 bucks a month for that instead of premiums.

The Vip series can be so much more than just a satellite box.

As far as a second OTA tuner goes people make OTA tuners for PC's that are USB compatible, why not make one for the 622, sell it for 50-75 bucks and be done with it. Dish likes to think that they serve enough people with Sat locals, but in reality if you have an antenna why would you want bit-starved dish locals (other than the obvious recording benefits)?

I would also like an 822 (or whatever number is next) that had 1080p output and advanced audio for high quality HD downloads...especially for us that aren't feeling blu.

2) I'd like to see the ability to edit recordings too. We've often padded a timer (excessively, typically on a Sunday evening) and every so often it's not needed once the show comes on. Then we'll have a 2-3 hour recording for a 1 hour show. I'd like to be able to start that recording, FF to the real start of the show, and hit STOP. The prompt there (hide it under an options button to keep it safe) would give the usual options in addition to "delete already viewed portion" or something. I guess you'd need a "delete remainder (but keep previous)" option too.

Definitely agree on the program editing. At least let us cut the ends and beginnings of a recording. That way the advertisers don't completely get their panties in a twist.
If they allow us to skip commercials today, they shouldn't be concerned about us cutting commercials off: since we will be forced to watch them all at least once during the editing. ;)

Ideally, I would love to be able to do things like this: a compilation of my favorite music videos, a collection of favorite sports moments, etc. For that I would need to be able to split and combine programs.

But as you said, if they are paranoid about us cutting off commercials, then at a very least give us the capability to trim the ends and beginnings of our recordings. Whenever there is a live event I have to add an extra hour for protection, as you never know how long it would really take. That takes a lot of extra space.

Being able to combine several parts (or several short episodes) into one program would be great too! I understand it may not be (technically) easy to combine SD with HD, but being able to combine programs of, say, the same resolution, or even coming from the same channel would be good enough.

You aren't going to see the receivers get WLAN anytime soon. It's not easy enough for the average home user to setup a wireless network. That's why they are installing HomePlug in all the 622and 722 boxes now. They will basically network with each other without the user knowing anything about how to set them up.
In theory, yes. But one of my 622's homeplug isn't working. I called Dish Network and told them and the CSR had no idea what to do. There is not support for debugging the problem.

Give us the option to record directly to the external drive.

Most times I can free up space on the internal drive first, but it would be nice for those last-minute recordings to be able to change the destination if needed...

1. Switch between single and dual user modes from the remote. Most times our 622 is in dual so the kids can watch in another room, but I'd like an easier way to switch so I can use PiP for sporting events.

2. Recognize caller ID info from my mediacom cable modem connected to the same router. I miss my on screen caller ID since I switched phone carriers and the jack by the receiver is no longer active.

3. Occasionaly I use widezoom on SD programs shown 16x9. It would be nice if the program banners remained static instead of zooming with the program.

3. Occasionaly I use widezoom on SD programs shown 16x9. It would be nice if the program banners remained static instead of zooming with the program.

My banner stays constant when I cycle through the zoom modes.

#1. HD on TV2 also
#2. Ability to transfer DVR recordings from one receiver to another. If you have to replace your receiver you shouldn't have to either lose your recordings or pay out the nose for the activation fee and a external hard drive. You should just be able to plug in a USB cable and transfer from the old receiver to the new receiver.

Last edited:
I would like to see a plug in remote box for TV2 that took an ethernet connection from the DVR and converted it to HDMI output. Dish could send the encrypted channel stream to the box in MPEG-2 or MPEG-4, so it would fit on ethernet. The local box decrypts and sends out HDMI.

I would like to see them add multiple playback capability. I would like to be able to check multiple items from the DVR playlist and have them play back in a sequence of my choosing. This would be very handy for burning multiple shows to DVD, or for setting up multiple shows to play for the kids.

I would also like to see lockable favorites lists. I know that I can lock out or hide individual channels, but it would be much easier to create a favorites list of nothing but "approved" channels, then lock it in so that no other channels are viewable without a password, and no other favorites lists would be selectable either.

Not sure how it could be implemented in a practical way, but it would be REALLY convenient to be able to set a timer for a show by pressing a button when an ad for it appears. Every now and then I see an ad for an upcoming new show or movie that I would really like to see, but doing a manual search for it is really time consuming. Pushing a button when the ad comes on to set the timer would be very convenient, and could also show advance interest in a given program. That's something that programmers and advertisers alike might be interested in. It could create a kind of ad rate futures market.

How about burried in the menu dish adds a feature called "advanced mode" that when selected allows for alot of the features metioned in this post.
that way grampa as well as clitus (in the double wide) can still use there system without getting tripped up and calling dish every other day.
this would let us people (with a brain) to have all the features we want that may be being held back because dish thinks we are all idiots
such as the ability to change modes with the # 2 remote and being able to get rid of the 908 message

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts