Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The engeneering department at Dish Network was kind enough to send me an updated list of fixes in L2.81 as well as a list of future updates and fixes.

L2.81 was schedued to go in wide release yesterday (the 19th)

Additional fixes in L2.81 include:
  • Timers would not fire with 811 in standby mode
  • Fixed bug when guide was in EPG mode, the 811 would not allow direct entry of channels that we not on the favorites list
  • Fixes grey box on the screen when tuned to a music channel
There are some bugs which are not fixed in L2.81 but will be fixed in future software updates, these bugs are as follows:
  • VCR Timer does not start recording function on the VCR. (A suggested fix for this is to set your VCR's timers to rececord you shows) This is schedued to be fixed in version L2.82 which is scheduled for release in November.
  • Receiver will not imediately power on when instructed to do so. (Suggested fix is to give your 811 a few minutes to turn on, if you press the on off button a few times the unit will imediately turn off... give it time) This is scheduled to be fixed in version L2.83 which is scheduled for release in January 2005.
There you go! Thank you for your support of SatelliteGuys!

Scott,

Thanks for the info. I am really curious what the official word on this acquring signal bug that is in the 6000 and the 811. I would figure that one would be on the top of th list.

To me the top three issues with the 811 are know.

1) Acquiring Signal Bug.
2) BSOD bug.
3) Ability to configure Output resolution independent on SD and HD. Ofcourse this would support a native option were applicable. (Yes I know this is an enhancement but one that would maximums PQ)

Have you heard Scott any official/unoffical opinion on the Acquiring signal bug. It has been in both products for a long time. Is it fixable or something us 811/6000 user are going to have to live with.

Be sure to pass on our thanks for the EPG guide stuff.

So we still have to put up with "acquiring satellite" nearly everytime we go to the guide after watching OTA for an extended period of time? (For me an extended period seems to be 20 minutes...) And we're still going to have frequent lockups while acquiring signal?

My year contract expires in February, if they don't fix these issues by then there's no chance I continue on...

What about the other major bugs?

Digital OTA - picture often goes into "slow mode" 1 frame per second.
Acquiring signal bug - pops up at random times.
Tune to OTA for a few minutes and the guide data is lost.
Tune from satellite to digital OTA and sometimes the picture becomes monochrome.
Lockups requiring a reboot.
Is the dark video problem fixed for all 811's?
Can't keep accurate time when tuned to OTA.

... and those are just the ones off the top of my head. The 811 package is still a BETA release in my book.

I am not too happy with the list of what is to be fixed in 2.82 and 2.83, which doesn't include the many major faults that remain. My 12 month contract is up in early 2005. If Dish have something much better for HD then, and will trade out this beta product, I might stay with them but for sure will be shopping around.

Nebguy,

When you look at your EPG do you have the picture enabled up on the screen?

I had the acquiring signal bug also.. when I changed to looking at the guide without
the picture.. I don't get the acquiring satellite bug... and my 811 had only locked up
maybe 3 times since I did that 6 months or so ago.

Cheers,

Sam

Dutch said:
Any word on when the DD bug will be fixed?
On Scott's latest release list I don't see any audio patches listed, however on the original list I posted previously it was listed. I haven't had much followup discussion post release yet, but I will ask. I would venture a guess if you have P281 and you are still having DD issues that this was not included in this release. Again I will ask.

Jason

Response received back from E*. There are corrections for DD to be included in the P282 roll-out scheduled to happen by the end of the year.

If all happens according to plan the release notes for P282 state roll-out to occur in Nov. 04.

Jason

nippjas said:
Response received back from E*. There are corrections for DD to be included in the P282 roll-out scheduled to happen by the end of the year.

If all happens according to plan the release notes for P282 state roll-out to occur in Nov. 04.

Jason

Jason,

Have you ever heard any official comment on the Acquiring signal bug?

Cheers,

Ron

WeeJavaDude said:
Jason,Have you ever heard any official comment on the Acquiring signal bug?
Hi WJD,
No, nothing "official"...but "unofficially" (;)) E* is well aware of the issue and it is being worked on. This issue occurs on more than just the 811 model. This is also very prevalent on the 3x00 and 301 models, just to name a few.

I will post more info as it becomes available.

Jason

NightRyder said:
Hi Jason,Is the "stop motion/freeze frame" bug on their radar?
Hi there,

Hey wasn't Kit an F-body...:D I had a 79 6.6. ;)

My understanding is that it is being addressed, however I'm not sure we will see a fix for this before the new year. (Last part being opinion, but I've been wrong before :rolleyes: ).

Jason

nippjas said:
Hi there,

Hey wasn't Kit an F-body...:D I had a 79 6.6. ;)

My understanding is that it is being addressed, however I'm not sure we will see a fix for this before the new year. (Last part being opinion).

Jason

Thanks Jason.

Yes Kit was a second generation F-body Trans-Am in the TV Show Knight Rider.

My handle is actually taken from the movie Mad Max. The fact that I own a T/A is just a coincidence. :)

NightRyder

nippjas said:
Hi WJD,
No, nothing "official"...but "unofficially" (;)) E* is well aware of the issue and it is being worked on. This issue occurs on more than just the 811 model. This is also very prevalent on the 3x00 and 301 models, just to name a few.

I will post more info as it becomes available.

Jason

Thanks Jason.. I know that bug as been around and is in more than one receiver. it was in the 6000 also. Hmmm I figured this particular but was related to having an OTA Tuners. Do those other models have one?

Well for me the 811 is improving. I did get the No Info with repeated downloading guides that required an two soft reboots. This is one bug I had not seen in a while. Hmmm Wonder if they have introduced a regression bug.

By personal experience. There was a couple of bugs the team seemed to work on forever. Whenever you fixed it it seemed to create a side effect someplace else. It was like the gopher game, every time you hit the gopher another one would pop up in some other place.

WeeJavaDude said:
Thanks Jason.. I know that bug as been around and is in more than one receiver. it was in the 6000 also. Hmmm I figured this particular but was related to having an OTA Tuners. Do those other models have one?

Well for me the 811 is improving. I did get the No Info with repeated downloading guides that required an two soft reboots. This is one bug I had not seen in a while. Hmmm Wonder if they have introduced a regression bug.

By personal experience. There was a couple of bugs the team seemed to work on forever. Whenever you fixed it it seemed to create a side effect someplace else. It was like the gopher game, every time you hit the gopher another one would pop up in some other place.
The 3x00 and 301's do not have a 8VSB tuner, they only have a RF passthru connection. My personal thoughts on the issue are: I had never seen the sat acquisition issue on the 301 until P202 and P226. At which time several features and display enhancements were added. In my opinion the issues occurring have more to do with memory size limitations, as you can imagine the added features use more memory space thus creating less available memory for EPG storage etc. I also feel this theory could explain why some people are having issues taking 811 updates...as these power users have a lot of personalization features setup which also use memory space. But again this is just my theory and I could very well be way off.

Jason

NightRyder said:
Thanks Jason.

Yes Kit was a second generation F-body Trans-Am in the TV Show Knight Rider.

Actually KITT was the first year of the third gen Trans-Ams! ;)

(I still love Knight Rider!...and have a 2002 black Trans-Am as well. :D)

You have any other pics of your 78 T/A?

OK...sorry...back to satellite talk!

Dish offically told me that the acquiring signal is not a bug, but as designed. You are susposed to turn your receiver off when not in use and the aquiring signal problem will not occur. It susposedly gives the receiver time to download the guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)