Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I just got off a nice long phone call with a contact at Dish Network and we had a good long talk about things going on, I also read to him you list of questions many of them he could not answer publically because they are a publiclly held company.

However first and foremost he wanted me to point out that the equipment you own now which works today, will work tommorow, will work next week, will work next year.

Yes Dish is planning on migrating to MPEG 4 but there is NOTHING in stone yet on how they are going to do it, Dish wants to do it in such a way that its as least of an inconvience to customers as possible. Will recievers need to be replaced? I am assured that Dish will indeed take care of it's customer is a hardware swapout is needed, their goal in upgradiing MPEG4 is to give you more entertainment options and features not make you mad. He wanted me to urge everyone to relax a bit regarding MPEG4, again there are no concrete plans in place at the moment. And dish does thank everyone for the feedback they have received so far on the MPEG4 situation.

I then asked him your questions again most he could not answer because of SEC concerns.

On new HDTV programming he did sound like something was coming down the line however he wouldnt talk about it because no press releases have been issued. I may be taking this out of context but from the tone of his voice it did sound promissing.

On the 921 being discontinued, he didn't have an answer for me on that, but told me that Dish does not issue statements when they discontinue equipment, instead the old equipment just fades away.

On leasing the 921, he had no information on any lease for the 921 and did not believe there were plans to do so, however he said if he heard something he would let me know.

On when the 522 would become available to all customers the last he heard was they were hoping to have them available in January, however he was taking that from the last Charlie Chat where Charlie Chat mentioned the January timeline.

On name based recording and when it was going to be rolled out he did not have an answer but would try to find out for me.

He also had a few other questons which you asked which he did not know the answer to, he did mention he would do his best to get answers and let me know.

As far as the Regional Sports networks they are in active negoations and hope to have a deal soon.

Again not much answered, yet at the same time a lot answered. I know he was in a tough position because he couldn't answer specifics (many of your questions were very specific)

However with most questions waved off as stuff he couldn't legally answer I got a good impression that much of what people are upset over (myself included) was because Charlie said stuff publically which he should'nt have really mentioned at all since it had no relevance to the 3rd quarter earnings.

If you asked me if you should buy a 921 now, I would feel comfortable enough to say that if you like Dish Network then buying a 921 be good and would serve you well for a long time, get it and enjoy it.

In closing I would like to thank Dish Network for taking the time to listen to our comments and questions, there honestly should be no reason why consumers almost need to start world war 3 to find out whats going on with their satellite service. I do hope in the future we can have more Q&A's like this so that you the consumer make informed decissions, here at SatelliteGuys we are open to the idea, let's hope Dish thinks about it and acts on it as well.

So what we learned is .....................

Nothing, except
Dish (from Charlie to secret contacts) has absolutely no clue what they are doing and what is going on.

Edit: Thanks Scott for giving it a shot.

More ?

Thanks Scott and Thanks Dish for the attempt at open honest questions and answers.

He didn't however answer a few major ones I saw, like when will the 942 be ready? and Will Dish go back to 2 HD per trans. or continue to degrade PQ by adding more channels to existing trans.

(after all what is the point of HD if its going to look compressed. I can see major differences from Discovery and HDNET)

Thanks again for tryin Scott.

bdemz said:
Thanks Scott and Thanks Dish for the attempt at open honest questions and answers.

He didn't however answer a few major ones I saw, like when will the 942 be ready? and Will Dish go back to 2 HD per trans. or continue to degrade PQ by adding more channels to existing trans.

(after all what is the point of HD if its going to look compressed. I can see major differences from Discovery and HDNET)

Thanks again for tryin Scott.

HDNET and HDNET-Movies are still on their own transponder.

NightRyder

You are correct that he answered most of them by not answering most of them, again the tone of his voice gave me the indications for the answers. Which is why I felt comfortable enough to say if you were thinking about getting a 921 the go get it. :)

Lighted a small fuse of hope that they will try to do good for us when the do go MPEG4.

Also hopefully more HD is coming and they are just wanting to suprise the competition with their announcement, maybe a bluff from Charlie (if he's smart enough for that).

There is a possibility that Dish does not want to answer questions on the spot. They might come back later with politically analyzed answers for the rest of the questions.

After all, we have seen what happened when Charlie talked about MPEG4, it created a riot. They need to make sure that what they say is "safe."

-Mark

markusian said:
There is a possibility that Dish does not want to answer questions on the spot. They might come back later with politically analyzed answers for the rest of the questions.

After all, we have seen what happened when Charlie talked about MPEG4, it created a riot. They need to make sure that what they say is "safe."

-Mark
Yes Mark I believe you are correct, we could see additional answers to these questions later after then have been scrubed cleaned and passed by the legal department. :)

ShadowEKU said:
Sounds like Right Hand Left Foot Syndrome to me

More like big picture little picture syndrome. I've been involved in this type of thing before. The powers that be state a problem and ask the engineering dept to provide possible solutions. The engineering dept. proposes several solutions and the biggies decide on one. At this point one of the biggies makes public statements regarding the decision. The engineering dept. is aghast because they haven't even begun to develop a plan to implement the solution. An all out effort now must be made to try to avoid embarrassing the CO who made the statement and limit the damage said statement caused.

Ahh the memories - Shudder

NightRyder

Ok got an update with some more answers to your questions...

In regards to our efforts to make the DISH Player - DVR 522 available to existing customers, the timeframe has not changed from the recent one you have.

We have not announced any plans to lease the 921. It is still available for purchase from retailers.

We are still working on the name-based recording technology that you asked about. We do not have an anticipated date of availability.

Scott, thanks a million for doing this for us. We really, really appreciate it. BUT E* said nothing. Basically this guy was rolled out to try and calm the rabble down after Charlie suffered “Foot-in-Mouth” disease yesterday. E* hopes that we are weak-minded enough to think that a visit to “our place” would be good enough to calm us down. He gave no answers at all. Very typical and disappointing. I will have to admit that we are a tough crowd to deal with. Users yet fairly technical. Nothing worse than a smart Customer….Come on D* and follow suit with a price drop on the HR10-250!

Thank you so much for the information, Scott, even though much of it is really lack of information. I'm glad Dish had someone speak to you. At least on the subject of the 921, I'm more comfortable making a purchase decision now.

I think Scott went about too "official"-looking a route about this. :)

Maybe, if it were just a rumor-from-his-contact-at-Echostar kind of thing, maybe we could have gotten more answers, albeit rumored ones. :p

Hong.

Thank you Echostar, regular feedback would be a benefit...Even if the answers can't be fully divulged at least damage control can be implemented.... ;)

Jason

How does Dish do MPEG-4 without impacting their customers? Will the programs be simulcast in both formats for some timeframe? I think that the only way to do this is to have duplicate programming on 2 satellites, one with each format. Obviously, Dish doesn't have the capacity to do that now, so we're looking at using some new satellite that hasn't been launched yet (maybe not even designed yet) before this cutover can begin. New HD content will have to wait until the cutover is completed, and the duplicate programming isn't required any more. I see a long wait in store for Dish HD customers.

Thanks Scott. It seems that some people are happiest, when they have something to bitch about, whether they know anything or not. Like anyone, who has been with Dish for any time, I am aware of, and have endured, the receiver and software problems. However, in all fairness to Dish (or if you prefer, Charlie), I think they have always taken care of their subs, as technology changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)