Upgrade Advice

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I've been out of contract for several years and still own an HR22 from around 10 years ago. I have a SL-3 dish.

Anyways, I am getting roofing work done and they will be removing my dish so I'll have to get someone out to reinstall it.

I figure since I'm out of contract, I'm in a good position to negotiate for new equipment + install since I can just as easily goto DISH. I'd appreciate any recommendations on equipment.

I am currently using the secondary output to hook to a TV in my bedroom so I can watch TV there without paying extra. (I live on my own so I don't care its the same on both TVs). It's an old tube TV so I just use an RF modulator from the RCA outputs and hook it into my houses coax. I don't really have a way to run a cable up to my bedroom without tearing open my walls. Worst case, I can split the HDMI and covert it to coax I guess.

I also really like having an RF remote vs IR so that's a must too.

My HR22 is currently extremely slow in the UI, I hope that any newer one will be more responsive. I currently can record 2 at once, it would be nice to be able to go up to 4 maybe. I can store 100hrs of HD. It seems sufficient but a little more is always nice. I don't have a 4K TV so I guess that doesnt matter to me, I'm not sure how much content there is. But its always possible I'll get one in the future.

Reactions: DS0816
I've been out of contract for several years and still own an HR22 from around 10 years ago. I have a SL-3 dish.

Anyways, I am getting roofing work done and they will be removing my dish so I'll have to get someone out to reinstall it.

I figure since I'm out of contract, I'm in a good position to negotiate for new equipment + install since I can just as easily goto DISH. I'd appreciate any recommendations on equipment.

I am currently using the secondary output to hook to a TV in my bedroom so I can watch TV there without paying extra. (I live on my own so I don't care its the same on both TVs). It's an old tube TV so I just use an RF modulator from the RCA outputs and hook it into my houses coax. I don't really have a way to run a cable up to my bedroom without tearing open my walls. Worst case, I can split the HDMI and covert it to coax I guess.

I also really like having an RF remote vs IR so that's a must too.

My HR22 is currently extremely slow in the UI, I hope that any newer one will be more responsive. I currently can record 2 at once, it would be nice to be able to go up to 4 maybe. I can store 100hrs of HD. It seems sufficient but a little more is always nice. I don't have a 4K TV so I guess that doesnt matter to me, I'm not sure how much content there is. But its always possible I'll get one in the future.

Do both Dish and DirecTV have the channels you want? I'd make my decision based on the channel selection first. Then, what other things matter to you? For example, I like speedy, feature-full hardware, so I prefer Dish, and I am willing to forego some picture quality to get interfaces I am not spending all my time waiting on. Other people are willing to wait a second or two longer for a somewhat better picture. Anything newer than the HR22 will be faster. I prefer the Dish Hopper3 for UHD (4K), but the C61k gets the job done. Either Dish or DirecTV client boxes should work ok over R59 cable for your bedroom as long as it is in decent shape, based on my experience.

Yes they both have the channels I want so that is not an issue. My current HR22 is very slow. My parents have a HR24 (not DVR) and its very fast so I'm ASSUMING the current hardware will be fast enough but I don't know which is why I'm asking here for advice. As for "feature-full", I guess I dont know what I'm missing.

I do find it annoying that the ondemand is very limited in choice. With my current box, I have to attempt downloading 10 times or more before it can download the whole show without getting stuck. I've gotten a ROKU just to be able to give myself some amount of ondemand. I assume the choices will be the same with a new box but hopefully it will work better. I do have netflix.

Another annoyance is that the "jump 30 seconds" button on my remote keeps getting worn out. I've been through several remotes. Are the current ones or the genie one any better?

As long as the box has the RCA outputs, then I should have no issue with outputting to my old tv in my bedroom. I see the genie has some sort of wireless connection, but I assume each connection means another monthly fee?

Yes they both have the channels I want so that is not an issue. My current HR22 is very slow. My parents have a HR24 (not DVR) and its very fast so I'm ASSUMING the current hardware will be fast enough but I don't know which is why I'm asking here for advice. As for "feature-full", I guess I dont know what I'm missing.

I do find it annoying that the ondemand is very limited in choice. With my current box, I have to attempt downloading 10 times or more before it can download the whole show without getting stuck. I've gotten a ROKU just to be able to give myself some amount of ondemand. I assume the choices will be the same with a new box but hopefully it will work better. I do have netflix.

Another annoyance is that the "jump 30 seconds" button on my remote keeps getting worn out. I've been through several remotes. Are the current ones or the genie one any better?

As long as the box has the RCA outputs, then I should have no issue with outputting to my old tv in my bedroom. I see the genie has some sort of wireless connection, but I assume each connection means another monthly fee?
Personally, in your situation, I'd call and see if they can upgrade you ...
They will want you to go to the Genie (HR54 or the HS17 (tower))
Either will work for you ...
You could very possibly get a wireless client for the bedroom and have the Genie on the main TV.

As for the OD, for D*, if you already have Roku and Netflix, just use that ... the OD as far as I'm concerned is for if you don't have a Netflix type of set up.

This is from the D* side of things, I don't have DISH to advise you.

For me, I'm kinda different from ncted ....
I prefer the better picture and a second slower recvr. thats D*.
DISH will have faster equipment, but less picture quality.

Some say theres no difference in Picture quality ... if you have Good TV's, thers plenty of difference.
Afterall, I'm watching TV, not the guide.

Reactions: whitewolf8214

If you think the HR24 is fast, then the HR54 is also going to seem fast. Both Dish and DirecTV have a wireless box available for the remote location. Dish's has a $5 fee which goes to $7 after 24 months. I think DirecTV's first client box is free, but I could be wrong on that.

I will say I think Dish's On Demand is somewhat more reliable based on limited experience with both. It is typically a last resort for me either way, so I am probably not a good person to judge. Dish's STBs have Netflix built in if that is appealing. Not sure if DirecTV does. Not sure about the remotes as I never have worn one out.

Reactions: Jimbo
If you think the HR24 is fast, then the HR54 is also going to seem fast. Both Dish and DirecTV have a wireless box available for the remote location. Dish's has a $5 fee which goes to $7 after 24 months. I think DirecTV's first client box is free, but I could be wrong on that.

I will say I think Dish's On Demand is somewhat more reliable based on limited experience with both. It is typically a last resort for me either way, so I am probably not a good person to judge. Dish's STBs have Netflix built in if that is appealing. Not sure if DirecTV does. Not sure about the remotes as I never have worn one out.
D* doesn't have Netflix integrated into the box ... he does already have a Roku for Netflix
As for the OD, It's also a last choice for me ... I have Netflix, Hulu and AP.

I don't use the D* remotes any longer ...
When I did use them, I liked the older White remotes over the newer Peanut shaped ones they use now.
I use my own URC MX-890 ... but thats a whole other subject (and cost)

Reactions: ncted
Is there an extra monthly fee for using a wireless client in the bedroom?

Currently I'm just paying for one receiver.

Also, I currently have a single cabling from the dish. It connects to a SWM then do my receiver. Will they have to run extra cabling, etc to support the new receiver.
Just wondering if I'll be running into any surprise fees during the install.

Is there an extra monthly fee for using a wireless client in the bedroom?

Currently I'm just paying for one receiver.

Also, I currently have a single cabling from the dish. It connects to a SWM then do my receiver. Will they have to run extra cabling, etc to support the new receiver.
Just wondering if I'll be running into any surprise fees during the install.
I think there is a $7 cost for the wireless client, but I'm not sure on that, you'd have to talk to them and see what they can do for you.
As for running more cable, not if you go with the wireless client ...

Sorry, I meant the H24, not HR24. It is much faster than my HR22. I can scroll on the guide with instant feedback from button presses. On the HR22, I have to wait 2-30 seconds depending.
I almost never use the TV in the bedroom, maybe an hour every other week, so I don't want to pay extra for it. If the box has RCA outputs, then it will work with my current setup. Otherwise, I'll have to figure out a way to get an HDMI signal upstairs. Even if I spend $100 on some sort of extender, I'm still saving compared to a $7 monthly cost forever.
I have RC64R remote, the old white ones. I have no issue with the remote other than the 30sec jump button wearing out. I've never used the newer remotes.

The only thing with the install is that I live in a 3 story townhouse. It took a few tries to get someone here with a long enough ladder. The front faces SW. I have an end unit with the wall facing NW. The back wall faces NE. The HOA doesnt allow it on the front. The current dish is at the bottom of the roof on the North corner. Although there is nothing in the by-laws, with all the roof work, they are asking people not to place the dish on the roof so I'm not exactly sure where it will go. My TV is on the 2nd floor towards the front of the house. So two floors + the length of the house probably requires about 60ft of cable. I was concerned that if they needed to run more than one cable, I'd get charged but the guy ended up giving me a SWM. I dont know if they would just reinstall the same dish with the same cabling or change everything

Sorry, I meant the H24, not HR24. It is much faster than my HR22. I can scroll on the guide with instant feedback from button presses. On the HR22, I have to wait 2-30 seconds depending.
I almost never use the TV in the bedroom, maybe an hour every other week, so I don't want to pay extra for it. If the box has RCA outputs, then it will work with my current setup. Otherwise, I'll have to figure out a way to get an HDMI signal upstairs. Even if I spend $100 on some sort of extender, I'm still saving compared to a $7 monthly cost forever.
I have RC64R remote, the old white ones. I have no issue with the remote other than the 30sec jump button wearing out. I've never used the newer remotes.

The only thing with the install is that I live in a 3 story townhouse. It took a few tries to get someone here with a long enough ladder. The front faces SW. I have an end unit with the wall facing NW. The back wall faces NE. The HOA doesnt allow it on the front. The current dish is at the bottom of the roof on the North corner. Although there is nothing in the by-laws, with all the roof work, they are asking people not to place the dish on the roof so I'm not exactly sure where it will go. My TV is on the 2nd floor towards the front of the house. So two floors + the length of the house probably requires about 60ft of cable. I was concerned that if they needed to run more than one cable, I'd get charged but the guy ended up giving me a SWM. I dont know if they would just reinstall the same dish with the same cabling or change everything
If you have a SWM set up already, thats what they will continue to use ...
See if they can do a pole mount in the same area, if its a suitable location for you ... this gets it off the roof and accessible if you need it. (there may be a charge for that)

Pole in the ground? That wouldnt work because my house would block it unless it was in the front where its not allowed. If they can put it on the eave with a pole or something that makes it clear the roofline, then maybe that would work.

Pole in the ground? That wouldnt work because my house would block it unless it was in the front where its not allowed. If they can put it on the eave with a pole or something that makes it clear the roofline, then maybe that would work.
THEY, probably can't do that, but You could ...
I have mine set up on a 16' pole attached to the house at the roof level ...

ok, worst case, I'll just tell them to put it back on the roof where it was before.

As for the equipment, I notice if I look on the site they have a "genie HD DVR" if I were to sign up. On the equipment page it says "genie", "genie lite", "hd dvr". It seems the Lite is just missing 4K and caller ID. The "HD DVR" doesnt havee 4km wireless connections and you can't record 5 shows at once (thought it doesnt say how many you can). Are there any other differences between these?

ok, worst case, I'll just tell them to put it back on the roof where it was before.

As for the equipment, I notice if I look on the site they have a "genie HD DVR" if I were to sign up. On the equipment page it says "genie", "genie lite", "hd dvr". It seems the Lite is just missing 4K and caller ID. The "HD DVR" doesnt havee 4km wireless connections and you can't record 5 shows at once (thought it doesnt say how many you can). Are there any other differences between these?
The Genie LITE, is a Genie, without the DVR (which you Could add a hard drive to later and become one.

The Genie LITE, is a Genie, without the DVR (which you Could add a hard drive to later and become one.
What would be the advantage. I assume I'd still have to pay the monthly DVR fee. If I wanted a bigger drive, I assume replacing the existing drive is the same as adding one.

Now the website seems to be wrong because under LITE it says:
Compare DIRECTV Receivers | Genie, HD, 3D, DVR & More
Record and watch your favorite programs on any connected TV.
Record 5 HD shows at once.
Record, pause and rewind live TV.
Schedule DVR recordings from any computer, tablet or smartphone.

OK, so it sounds like I should ask for a HR54. Now if I wanted to try to future-proof myself (incase I buy a 4k tv), I would need to ask for a HR54 and C61K? If they give that to me, then would I incur an extra receiver fee eventhough I only have one TV?

Also, looking at my SWM, I think its just a power unit. It's a "PI-21" SWM ODU Only. I guess the SWM is in my LNB?

Unless you have to have PIP or ESPN3 support, if you want to future proof yourself I'd go with the HS17 and a mini client, C61K if you can get it. You're only charged for the client, not the HS17 for the monthly receiver fee and then you can record more 4K channels at one time, and have a 2GB hard drive.

So the HR54+C61K would incur an extra monthly fee?
Does the C61K support a HDTV (without 4K support)? I don't have a 4K tv yet, but I might get one in the next 2 years.
Also, it looks like the C61K doesnt have the AV DIN connector to connect to my old tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts