Upgrade Deals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ronald_Jeremy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Rock Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!
What kind of deals are they offering or what kind of a deal did you get when you upgraded to the HD DVR?

My father is a current sub and just bought an HD TV. He wants the HD DVR but doesn't want to get raped.

I was able to get a $50 credit in the DVR and 12 months free HD programming.

I tried to upgrade to hd dvr and was told they would give me a 50. credit and 10. off my bill for one year but I had to pay for the dvr up front. I decided to switch to cable and now I have a 212.00 early cancel fee. I had been a customer for over 7 years and what a thank you. I bought a new hdtv and naturally wanted hd programming. Anybody have any idea if you can pay off the early cancellation fee on a monthly basis???

I tried to upgrade to hd dvr and was told they would give me a 50. credit and 10. off my bill for one year but I had to pay for the dvr up front. I decided to switch to cable and now I have a 212.00 early cancel fee. I had been a customer for over 7 years and what a thank you. I bought a new hdtv and naturally wanted hd programming. Anybody have any idea if you can pay off the early cancellation fee on a monthly basis???

That's a question only Directv can answer.;)

If I had to guess I would guess....No.;)

Can't get too mad at Directv they were not the ones who cancelled their service and forgot they were still under a commitment.:eek:

I didnd't forget I was under committment, I just wanted to be treated like a good customer. They offer the world to new subscribers and I feel they should try to keep their good customers who have been with them through thick and thin. I always raved about DirecTV until now. I just didn't feel I should have to pay hundreds of dollars for a receiver and then pay monthly fees also. Cable installs free and gives you the receiver and dvr to use with no commitments.

Don't get me wrong, I always loved DirecTV and I would still stick with them if they had been a little more customer oriented.

depending on your cable company and where you're located, you could pay up to $25.00 a month for that free hd dvr!!! the 4.99 additional receiver fee is really the old mirroring fee so you really aren't paying any extra.

so you compare.......$199 to $299 upfront or $25.00 a month. take your pick!!

What kind of deals are they offering or what kind of a deal did you get when you upgraded to the HD DVR?

About a month ago I upgraded to the HR20. My commitment was up so they may have been more generous than if I was still on the hook. I quoted them an honest-to-G* offer I got in the mail from Dish trying to lure me back. I don't have the Dish offer in hand any more but it was almost to good to be true. If I remember correctly it was a free HD DVR capable of supporting to 2 separate HDTVs. Plus 2 free SD DVRs. Plus free movie channel for 3 months. Plus $20 off the bill for 10 months. New customers (not me) were offered another $100 discount. All of course with free installation. I read the offer to the "retention" guy and said I'd like to stay with Directv but I'm having a hard time talking myself into passing on this Dish offer.

He said they couldn't "give" me the receiver but here's what they did:

$99 for HR20 DVR + $49 for SD DVR = $150~
$20 off my bill for 12 months = $240 !!

So in essence they gave me $90 to upgrade. Oh yeah, they threw in free HD Showtime for 3 months too.

The thing is.. I wasn't bluffing. No great offer and I would have switched to Dish.

One more thing, when all the discounts expire my bill will be only about $5 more than what I pay now and right in line with what the Dish bill would have been.

Last edited:
I didnd't forget I was under committment, I just wanted to be treated like a good customer. They offer the world to new subscribers and I feel they should try to keep their good customers who have been with them through thick and thin. I always raved about DirecTV until now. I just didn't feel I should have to pay hundreds of dollars for a receiver and then pay monthly fees also. Cable installs free and gives you the receiver and dvr to use with no commitments.

Don't get me wrong, I always loved DirecTV and I would still stick with them if they had been a little more customer oriented.

Sorry you feel like DirecTV should give you anything you want when you want.Here is a good idea what you might expect.If you ask to be upgraded more than once every six months chances are good you won't be.If you don't pay your bill on time that can effect your upgrades.Never expect the latest and greatest receiver for nothing.It also sounds like you have found a home with cable.When the "special rate"expires think you could be surprized at your new"rate".I have been with cable/Dish/Directv and Directv beats them all.Wish you the best.Good Luck!.:)

okay, i had an interesting experience last week. desperately need second hr20. call and i'm told 299. i mention i know some people have gotten it cheaper. csr tells me if i were to go into a store and buy, it would cost over 749 dollars.

i proceeded to email and got a message from retention. called, explained what happened. first guy was gonna give me a free dvr plus programming credits. we get disconnected. second guy i speak with is borderline rude. he agrees to give me dvr for 99 dollars.

i thought about this for a few days and sent another email last nite. i find a response this morning wanting specifics....i answer the best i can.

i have no problems paying 99 dollars. i do have problems with the fact, you never get the same response twice. the first guy took time to review my entire account and told me he wanted to help.

I got mine for $150 broke down into 3 payments,free shipping,and new slimline dish.They installed it for free in about 2 hours. I never had dvr before the HR 20 so they even ran some wires. All in all I was real happy.

they have apologized profusely for what happened and have verified the 99 dollar hddvr. i don't want them to think i'm complaining. but i am trying to convey to them that csr roulette, even from the retention department, leaves a lot to be desired!

depending on your cable company and where you're located, you could pay up to $25.00 a month for that free hd dvr!!! the 4.99 additional receiver fee is really the old mirroring fee so you really aren't paying any extra.

so you compare.......$199 to $299 upfront or $25.00 a month. take your pick!!

Yup, thats the way it is up here for the "Free DVR" from the local cable co.

Jimbo

If you are out of contract then you can work out a good deal. If you are in contract they know they have to so you can not work out that great of a deal. I was out of contact and I got my H10 upgrade for free and a free upgrade when the 5LNB and H20 came out all with free install. My contact is up in Aug so I am think I am going to try and get a upgrade fo the HR20 now.

i disagree. i came back to directv in february after 14 months. i really didn't have any bargaining chips so i paid full price for first hr20. however, i had a h10 from a few years ago and asked if i could get a free upgrade to the h20...i did. that was one week into a two-year contract. two months into same contract, i'm getting a 2nd hr20 for 99 bucks. you just have to patiently know how to deal with these people.

could i have done better? probably. am i going to complain? no!

I just ordered the HR20 this weekend and got $10 off for 12 months plus 3 months free Showtime. Had to pay for the HR20 up front, but I got some kind of deal.

I was offered a new HR-20 upgrade yesterday for $299 and then she mentioned a credit of $200 to be applied to my next bill.

I called two weeks ago on 5-4. Wanted new HR20 and H20, new dish and install. Talked to First CRS and was quoted 299 + 99 but free install. Said no and asked to cancel service. Talked to the retention department and they offered 199 for HR and 0 for the H20 + free install. Seem ok so they set the install up for the next day (satuday), the installer showed up 2 hours early (after phone call askinig to come early) took about 2 hours to install the dish and second wire for HR20. The installer was very professional and even tipped hip 20 bucks. Been very happy with equipment and service. I know I could have gotten either 99 or maybe free (over 11 year customer) but felt for the equipment and stuff 200 dollers seemed reasonable.

well now i'm officially po'd at directv. i'm informed today that the 99 dollar deal can't be honored because retention left no notes on my account. i was told i wasn't eligible for the deal.

for starters, i'm calling retention tommorow and the conversation will be recorded...sort of. i have a captioned telephone because i'm hearing impaired. all i have to do is turn the captions on before i call.

meanwhile, i cancelled my order and the account was refunded. the only reason i'm not going through the roof right now is that a nice supervisor explained what happened.

but here's what i don't get. at least, 3 people today have told me there are stores who are actually outright selling the hr20 for $749. has anyone heard this? is this new? i would sure like to know who because i know best buy, circuit city and one of our gold sponsors isn't!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)