Upgrade Equipment

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Realsmith

Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
I'm a newbie!

I have been a DN subscriber for 8 yrs w/ original equipment. I called DN this morning about upgrading equipment to DVR. This is what they told me:

Option A
1) I can get 25.00 back for each of my 2 old receivers.
2) I must pay 50.00 to replace both.
3) I can get 2-510's which will increase my bill 4.98X2=$9.96 / month

Option B
1) I can get 50.00 rebate for my 2 old receivers
2) I can pay $100.00 & get 1-522 with no increase in monthly expense.
(I'm presently paying $4.99 for my second receiver)

Which is a better way for me to go?

Thanks,
D.

Realsmith said:
I'm a newbie!

I have been a DN subscriber for 8 yrs w/ original equipment. I called DN this morning about upgrading equipment to DVR. This is what they told me:

Option A
1) I can get 25.00 back for each of my 2 old receivers.
2) I must pay 50.00 to replace both.
3) I can get 2-510's which will increase my bill 4.98X2=$9.96 / month

Option B
1) I can get 50.00 rebate for my 2 old receivers
2) I can pay $100.00 & get 1-522 with no increase in monthly expense.
(I'm presently paying $4.99 for my second receiver)

Which is a better way for me to go?

Thanks,
D.

Most everyone will probably tell you to go with the 522, but you need to remember that you'll have to run 2 lines to it from the dish and another from the receiver out the second room (may cost you extra depending on what needs to be done), and if the 522 craps out, you'll be without anyTV until DN replaces it. Whereas the 510s are "drop in" (remove old, replace with new), and you'll still have one available if the other breaks.

When I got the 625 (did the upgrade offer for 522 but got the 625), the installer swapped out the old LNB with a new one that only required one line to the receiver...not sure the exact item. No charge. He said they are doing that automatically whenever there is a new install on an old system.

Yes, they can use one run with a DPP Twin and a DP Separator for the Dual receivers.

Catsnap makes a good point, if the 522 or the 625 fails you are SOL. If it was me, I would go for the 2 510s. Just my opinion.

If I go with the two 510's will my present wiring work. Right now I have a dual LNB with two wires running inside and each line connecting to each tuner. Or, will I have to run two wires to each 510?

If I have this correct, the 522 connects two lines to the dish and one line from the 522 to the second TV.

Thanks,

My question is. Why should you have to send back your old receivers if you bought them . I would keep them around just in case. Plus they do not give you much for what they are worth when they turn around and resell them. They told me the same thing when I asked about upgrading

stoney said:
My question is. Why should you have to send back your old receivers if you bought them . I would keep them around just in case. Plus they do not give you much for what they are worth when they turn around and resell them. They told me the same thing when I asked about upgrading

They're not going to resell 8 year old receivers (especially if they're just basic ones). The $25 each they're offering in trade is more than you'll get for try to unload them on Fleabay.

Realsmith said:
If I go with the two 510's will my present wiring work. Right now I have a dual LNB with two wires running inside and each line connecting to each tuner. Or, will I have to run two wires to each 510?

There's no additional hookup/wiring required beside what you already have installed (one line to each).

ahh option 3, buy a brand new never activated 522 or 625 off e bay. perhaps $150

no lease mess, sell box for whatever its worth when your done using it

note 2 510s will get you TWO $5 a month DVR fees unless you have AEP.

I really like my 522 and am activating a second one tomorrow, and taking my 508s off line

we currently have AEP I will save 5 bucks a month with this change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)