Upgrade from HD receiver to HD-DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Michael_C

Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I'm upgrading from a HD receiver. I have one tv. With the HD-DVR will there need to be
two lines coming in to the receiver to record/watch 2 channels? Would it make any sense
to get Genie for one tv?

The Genie makes sense if you have a lot of recording conflicts since it has five tuners. You will have to pay the fee for whole home though.

press the "-" key on your remote next time your in front of your TV. if it says "SWM connected" then you dont need any more lines run until you go beyond 8 tuners (genie + 3 HDs).

If you don't have SWM, the work order will include upgrading your system to one. So you will only need one line. As far as getting the Genie, there are zero reasons not to get one, even it it means paying 3 bucks a month extra for it.

If you don't have SWM, the work order will include upgrading your system to one. So you will only need one line. As far as getting the Genie, there are zero reasons not to get one, even it it means paying 3 bucks a month extra for it.

Does upgrading the system to SWM mean replacing the dish?

Does upgrading the system to SWM mean replacing the dish?
depends what you have. If it's a slimline dish, he'll just replace the LNB. If it's the old AT9 HD dish, he will need to replace the dish.

To upgrade to a swm setup they will replace your legacy ka/ku lnb with a swm type and add a power inserter. Then you will only need one cable to each box.

Well, since it was installed, it was accessible at that point.

Well, Directv offered a free HD-DVR and installation OR a free Genie and 2 minis with installatiion.
I have the Slimline-5 dish and only have 1 tv. I want to keep the installation simple. I really don't want
to put an new dish and more holes in my roof unless I have to. It's not likely I'll ever need to record 5 programs
at once. It seems like the Hd-DVR would make the most sense. Will the Genie also work off the Slimline-5 with
upgraded LNB? Any reason to get the genie instead of the HD-DVR for one tv?

Like I mentioned, if you will have a lot of recording conflicts with only two tuners in the dvr, you might consider the Genie since it has five. You will have to pay the whole home fee, too, with a Genie. They will replace the lnb if you get a Genie, but not the dish itself. They might replace the lnb with a new dvr, but could just run an extra line from the dish since you need two lines in a non swm setup like you have now.

As chip posted, you won't need to change out the dish, just replace the LNB ifyou go for the Genie.
Apart from the five tuners, there's another good reason for going with the Genie. The DVRs (and the HD receivers) are now at "end of life" as far as development is concerned, there probably won't be any new features. And they are not manufacturing them any more. All new development is happening on the Genie.
If you go with the Genie, you need to try to get the HR44 not the HR34, the Hr44 is much faster (and smaller). The CSR will NOT be able to do this for you because direcTV considers them equivalent. When the installer calls, ask him if he has an HR44 on the truck

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the Genie and ask the
installer for the HR44.

2 thinks that I think is dumb on D* part.
Earlier post Micheal said he has only 1 TV, yet D* offered a Genie and multiple Clients ?
Why would he accept the clients in his case, he has no more TVs and certainly wouldn't want to add month charge s to his bill for the addl. Clients.

Next, as Chip mentioned I think, he will then (with the Genie) get charged for the Whole Home fee .... scratching his head wondering .... how does he use the Whole Home with only 1 recvr.

Fwiw, I too get stuck with the WH. Fee even though I don't use it.
I don't use it by choice, just don't need my Recordings on other recvrs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)