Upgrade ?: HD on 129 - Signal Strength

OrangeandBlue33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
I'm looking to upgrade to HD and it appears that I'll need a Dish 1000 set-up to grab the HD content off of 129. Since 129 is more to the west of 110/119, I'm concerned about a tree branch that might block the signal.

From other's experiences, would one branch from my neighbor's tree cause enough problems with signal strength? It's basically one long branch (fairly leafy) that is about 15 ft away that probably cuts across the 129 line of site. Other than that branch, it's completely clear of any other obstructions. Also, is 129 higher or lower in comparison to 110/119?

Thanks for your help!

It could... 129 is pretty finicky, do you need 129 for Locals as you could go for 61.5 depending on your location...

My locals aren't on a bird yet, so that's not an issue, but 61.5 would be more of a problem than 129 as a house and a big tree are directly in the path.

I'm looking to upgrade to HD and it appears that I'll need a Dish 1000 set-up to grab the HD content off of 129. Since 129 is more to the west of 110/119, I'm concerned about a tree branch that might block the signal.

From other's experiences, would one branch from my neighbor's tree cause enough problems with signal strength? It's basically one long branch (fairly leafy) that is about 15 ft away that probably cuts across the 129 line of site. Other than that branch, it's completely clear of any other obstructions. Also, is 129 higher or lower in comparison to 110/119?

Thanks for your help!

Got a 12 gauge shotgun, and some buckshot? It's good at getting rid of pesky problems such as that branch.

Thanks for your help!

129 is higher some places, lower in other, depending on where you are. 129 has its share of signal strength, a tree branch would not help the situation, if it is in the line of sight.

Miner

129 is higher some places, lower in other, depending on where you are. 129 has its share of signal strength, a tree branch would not help the situation, if it is in the line of sight.

Miner

Thanks Miner. I have a bad feeling. It'll probably be OK until the leaves finally come out here in Illinois. May have to look to see if there's another line of site in my backyard. Either that or pray for a lightning strike. :)

I think 129 would be a couple of degrees lower in elevation from the Illinois area. Being 10 degrees west of 119, the tree has to be fairly close to being the way of 119 to blocking 129. Also, being in Illinois I think you are in a fairly good location for the signal. The north west coast, south TX and FL are locations where the signal is weak (er or est) to begin with.

Miner

Here's some help for you on where 129 is from your location.

For general arrangement of satellites in the sky you can check the following link. Representations are made from St. Louis, MO perspective so the biggest variation would be the farther north of STL you are, the lower in the sky the satellites will be.

What does a dish "see"?- Picture Examples

For an "exact" location you can go to the next link and enter 129 satellite and your location.

DishPointer.com - Satellite Dish Pointer / Alignment Calculator with Google Maps

Knowing the azimuth & elevation of the satellite will tell you easily exactly where it is in the sky. Using a protractor with a ruler held or taped at the angle will give you a real good line of sight if you hold the protractor level and sight up the ruler. Of course, you could drop $150 on a clinometer and be precise.