Upgrade install question

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I am most likely going to be upgrading to a Hopper/Joey setup in March.

At the same time, I am planning convert my coax wiring from "through the floor" to proper wall plates with RF connectors. When the service technician is installing new wiring and receivers, will he wire the wall plates up for me, or should I have the coax wired to the wall plates already? I have no problem doing it myself, but I don't want to waste my time running coax cable if the technician will do it himself, especially since I know I will need an entirely new MoCA configuration for the Hopper/Joey.

So I guess my question really boils down to whether basic in wall wiring is part of a standard Dish installation?

Most installers will do wall fishing as part of the installation but some will try to say its "custom" work and therefore going to cost more. I think Dish includes one wall fish free but over that they charge custom fees. You can do it yourself, just be sure to use quality rg6 cable. You could even just run the lines and have the tech supply the fittings and wall plates because they need to be approved high frequency barrels so he's gonna have to change your wall plates if you buy and install them, this should save you some $$ not buying wall plates and fittings.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You're better off doing your own wall fishing if you are able to do that - save yourself a lot of aggravation down the road. You don't know how experienced of a tech that you'll get, some are not able to wall fish. In the end, you will at least cut the installation time way down if you're prepared ahead of time. As far as cable, no need to run all new cable except possibly at the Hopper location - it needs to be Rg6 swept to 3 ghz - doesn't matter at the Joey locations.

In all but the simplest cases doing wall fishes require skills that rookie satellite and cable installers aren't taught. Also they aren't issued the specialized tools that can make even a tough wall fish possible.

Older electricians that have been in the residential business for awhile can often can work magic. I had an electrician run new electrical service to a the finished attic of a two story home. House was built in 1906. Studs and fire stops hard as rocks. Plaster and lath construction. Only took him a little over an hour to run 100' of BX from the attic to the main service panel. The electrician didn't have to cut any holes in the walls to facilitate pulling the BX, but he had all the right tools including a large assortment of flexible drill bits and extensions.

The electrician even had a cross bow to fire pull lines across ceilings to avoid having taking down tiles or crawling through tight spaces.

In contrast when I moved into a apartment and the landlord wouldn't let the cable company wrap the building so the poor installer tried for four hours to do a wall fish on an exterior masonry wall. He had no specialized tools. Biggest problem was he didn't even have a right angle drill so he had to drill through the header at an angle when he was in the attic and when he tried fish the RG6 it always got stuck. He might have been able to make it work if he had had a small chain and a magnet to catch a pull chain dropped through the wall from the attic at the opening for the wall box. To top it off when the installer finished the his van would not start as the safety blinkers and flashers had drained its battery.

I would do it myself. I'd even go so far as to buy modular wallplates and run an ethernet and/or hdmi cable at the same time, depending on your needs. I'm a big believer in doing things once, the right way. The modular wallplates generally are high frequency connections. I did all of mine before I was a dish employee. There are techs that can do it, but typically nobody is going to want to, especially if they see lines/holes in the floor. Of course you run an equal or greater chance you'll get someone who's been installing for 3 weeks and has no clue, and will spend hours trying to use the flex bit and fish the line.

Your choice. lol.

CubsWin said:
I am most likely going to be upgrading to a Hopper/Joey setup in March.

At the same time, I am planning convert my coax wiring from "through the floor" to proper wall plates with RF connectors. When the service technician is installing new wiring and receivers, will he wire the wall plates up for me, or should I have the coax wired to the wall plates already? I have no problem doing it myself, but I don't want to waste my time running coax cable if the technician will do it himself, especially since I know I will need an entirely new MoCA configuration for the Hopper/Joey.

So I guess my question really boils down to whether basic in wall wiring is part of a standard Dish installation?

Im sure it depends on how many locations, size of house, and how big a tip you plan on dishin out.

Most installers will do wall fishing as part of the installation but some will try to say its "custom" work and therefore going to cost more. I think Dish includes one wall fish free but over that they charge custom fees. You can do it yourself, just be sure to use quality rg6 cable. You could even just run the lines and have the tech supply the fittings and wall plates because they need to be approved high frequency barrels so he's gonna have to change your wall plates if you buy and install them, this should save you some $$ not buying wall plates and fittings.Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Three months ago my installer said a wall fish would cost $70 each as per Dish policy, he manage to use the existing cables installed by me or the cable company years before, He was here for almost 5 hours to install one 722k connected to two TVs. He did have some problems locating the cables in the attics, new cables would have been faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)