Upgrade, locals, dish question

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
Have a friend, he called for an upgrade on one of his receivers. He now has a 622 722 and a solo. His dish is a 1000, with a wing dish for HD locals. Zip 53066 Basically Milwaukee WI. He wants another 722 or 722K. He was told that a new dish would have to be installed and that the wing dish would be removed. this will happen tomorrow. I have never received my HD locals because I don't have a line of site for the wing dish. Is there a new dish out there or was the CSR bs-ing. At first I thought it was to get the 95 dollars but they waived the truck fee for him. I had heard the the HD locals would be moved at some time to consolidate, but really have seen no changes. Thanks. Budda:)

Hi there! My name is Anthony Thomas and I work with DISH Network Customer Service. Without knowing account specific information this can only be generalized here on the thread. A single dish solution such as a 1000.4 dish would provide locals, both HD and SD (as they are available to the Milwaukee DMA with a 77/72/61.5) to three receivers. If he is adding a fourth, it pretty much means switch required (dp34 probably). If he currently has two dishes, then they may run a dpp44 rather then removing the second dish and run it that way. Either configuration would work, but it really ends up being what the tech decides is easiest. Hope this clarifies it at least a little bit.

Last edited:
Have a friend, he called for an upgrade on one of his receivers. He now has a 622 722 and a solo. His dish is a 1000, with a wing dish for HD locals. Zip 53066 Basically Milwaukee WI. He wants another 722 or 722K. He was told that a new dish would have to be installed and that the wing dish would be removed. this will happen tomorrow. I have never received my HD locals because I don't have a line of site for the wing dish. Is there a new dish out there or was the CSR bs-ing. At first I thought it was to get the 95 dollars but they waived the truck fee for him. I had heard the the HD locals would be moved at some time to consolidate, but really have seen no changes. Thanks. Budda:)

Milwaukee HD locals are on 61.5 so they will upgrade him to a Eastern Arc Dish (61.5/72/77). You need all VIP receivers to be on EA. The EA dish has been around for a while now (a year at least)
Whatever locals Dish doesn't have in HD they will be in MPEG4 SD (saves a little bit of hard drive space when recording)

I have never received my HD locals because I don't have a line of site for the wing dish. Is there a new dish out there or was the CSR bs-ing.
There are two main dishes Dish installs for HD customers. The Western Arc (110/119/129) 1000.2 dish and the Eastern Arc (61.5/72.7/77) 1000.4 dish. Your friend will doubtless get the newer Eastern Arc dish, since you are both (?) in an Eastern Arc DMA. This is probably the "new dish" the CSR was talking about. Now, if there is nowhere you can get LOS to 61.5, then an Eastern Arc dish will not work for you. Do you have a 1000.2 now?

Thanks for the reply. When the tech got there he told my buddy that the dish he had provided the best signal so he left what is had. The LNB's and signal were tweaked and checked. We figured Dish just wanted to see the tech out for the install which is fine since he was not charged. Was just confusing based on what the CSR said.Thanks again Merry Xmass and Happy New Year. Peace

Hi there! My name is Anthony Thomas and I work with DISH Network Customer Service. Without knowing account specific information this can only be generalized here on the thread. A single dish solution such as a 1000.4 dish would provide locals, both HD and SD (as they are available to the Milwaukee DMA with a 77/72/61.5) to three receivers. If he is adding a fourth, it pretty much means switch required (dp34 probably). If he currently has two dishes, then they may run a dpp44 rather then removing the second dish and run it that way. Either configuration would work, but it really ends up being what the tech decides is easiest. Hope this clarifies it at least a little bit.

The DP 34 switch is not compatible with the DP Plus LNBs (1000.4, 1000.2, and DP Plus Twin). A single DP 34 switch can work up to 4 "tuners" with no more than 4 receivers. A single DP Plus 44 switch can work up to 8 "tuners" with no more than 4 receivers.

Sure, on the 1000.2 and 500 dish you can replace the respective Plus LNB with DP single/dual LNBs and run them into the switch, but Dish does not currently have such an option for the 1000.4 dish.

Last edited:
The DP 34 switch is not compatible with the DP Plus LNBs (1000.4, 1000.2, and DP Plus Twin). A single DP 34 switch can work up to 4 "tuners" with no more than 4 receivers. A single DP Plus 44 switch can work up to 8 "tuners" with no more than 4 receivers.

Sure, on the 1000.2 and 500 dish you can replace the respective Plus LNB with DP single/dual LNBs and run them into the switch, but Dish does not currently have such an option for the 1000.4 dish.

You are correct. I shot from the hip on that one, and apparently missed the mark. Thanks for getting the proper info in here!

The 1K.4 can be run into a DPP44 if more than 3 recs are needed. It can also be run into a DPP33, but there is no reason to ever do it.

My cable bill is higher than my Dish Network bill used to be. Only problem is when I check to see if locals are available in my area. Zip code 25320. It says my locals are on 129W I can't get nothing past 119W due to the hillside. This is one reason I canceled Dish Network the first time. Does anyone know if my locals are available on any other satellite that Dish has? I believe I can get anything between 72W and 119W. My old super dish was receiving locals on 105W but they changed it to 129W where I couldn't see it. : /

My cable bill is higher than my Dish Network bill used to be. Only problem is when I check to see if locals are available in my area. Zip code 25320. It says my locals are on 129W I can't get nothing past 119W due to the hillside. This is one reason I canceled Dish Network the first time. Does anyone know if my locals are available on any other satellite that Dish has? I believe I can get anything between 72W and 119W. My old super dish was receiving locals on 105W but they changed it to 129W where I couldn't see it. : /
Charleston, WV locals are also on 77W. SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - DISH Network 77°W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)