Upgrade my HR20 and HR21?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KillrBuckeye

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Suburban Detroit
I've had these HR-20 and HR-21 receivers since 2007. One of them was replaced a couple years ago due to hard drive failure. I haven't been following along with new DirecTV hardware, so I'm wondering if there are new receivers that would represent significant upgrades in terms of responsiveness, storage capacity, number of tuners, etc. It peeves me that I'm stuck with two relatively tiny HDDs given how cheap 1-2 TB drives are these days. I'm aware that I can upgrade to external HDD via Firewire, but I don't want to go that route given my other main complaint: responsiveness. Often these receivers seem to "bog down" and won't respond to my requests to change the channel, or they'll only receive 1 of the 3 digits I just tried to key in on the remote. Sometimes changing channels requires a 10+ second wait. I'm also finding the 2 tuner limitation to be more and more of an annoyance.

In your opinion, would it be worth pursuing upgrades for these old HD receivers? If so, do you think it's possible I could get these upgrades for free or at a discount given that I've been a DirecTV customer since the 2000-2001 timeframe? Any advice would be appreciated.

Discounted rate, yes ...

Looks like your looking for a Genie, HR34 or 44.
Your only allowed 1 Genie at the moment .
They have a 1tb hd.
They currently add "Clients" to the system, they run off the main Genie (HD is in the genie, none in the clients) Personally, I don't like the "Clients", I would go with a Genie (btw they have 5 tuners) and a HR24 (2 tuner HD DVR).

if you are out of contract you should be able to get a hr44 Genie for free with a 2 year agreement. i got mine yesterday and it's all great so far. i have 3 hr20's still in house and will keep them as long as i can for the OTA tuners alone. yes the guide is a bit slow to respond but...... used to that.
go for it imo
good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)