Upgrade Old DTV System to HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

canyonlight

Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
Arizona
Folks,

I have been reading threads on this forum and have been impressed with the helpful comments and tips from obviously knowledgeable folks. So here goes with some questions about upgrading my 12-year old DTV system to HD...

1) Do I need to be concerned with the capability of the coaxial cable that is now installed in my home (12 years old)? Should I upgrade the cable to RG-6 quad shield cable? Any suggestions on specific brands and part numbers would be appreciated.

2) Will the DirecTV installer redo the cable (in the attic and walls)? Or do I separately have to take care of that?

3) I want service in three rooms. I assume that three receivers and one DVR will take care of that. Primary viewing is in living room where DVR will get most use. Might want to have capability to watch recordings from that DVR in a second room. Should I get two DVR's? Third room is guest room and only needs receiver.

4) I'm not into sports - I know, heresy - and primarily want to view nature/science channels, movies, and M*A*S*H reruns.

5) I currently receive east coast and west coast major network stations and "local" stations in Phoenix (there is no cable TV service where I live). Is there some insane policy where I will be able to get HD on the Phoenix stations, but will not be able to get HD on the east coast and west coast stations? If I opted not to get local stations would I then be able to get HD signals on the east coast and west coast stations?

6) Would appreciate any other recommendations before I start the dreaded call experience with TV customer service.

Thanks very much in advance.

Folks,

I have been reading threads on this forum and have been impressed with the helpful comments and tips from obviously knowledgeable folks. So here goes with some questions about upgrading my 12-year old DTV system to HD...

1) Do I need to be concerned with the capability of the coaxial cable that is now installed in my home (12 years old)? Should I upgrade the cable to RG-6 quad shield cable? Any suggestions on specific brands and part numbers would be appreciated.

If you have solid copper core RG6 or even copper clad steel, it will work fine

2) Will the DirecTV installer redo the cable (in the attic and walls)? Or do I separately have to take care of that?

See above....if it did have to be replaced, wall fish work is extra.

3) I want service in three rooms. I assume that three receivers and one DVR will take care of that. Primary viewing is in living room where DVR will get most use. Might want to have capability to watch recordings from that DVR in a second room. Should I get two DVR's? Third room is guest room and only needs receiver.

It depends on how much programming you are recording and how many viewers are in your household. Can't hurt to have two DVR's but if you don't need them, why bother. Definitely get the whole house DVR service so you can view the recorded DVR programming from any reciever.

4) I'm not into sports - I know, heresy - and primarily want to view nature/science channels, movies, and M*A*S*H reruns.

Plenty of that on DirecTV.....

5) I currently receive east coast and west coast major network stations and "local" stations in Phoenix (there is no cable TV service where I live). Is there some insane policy where I will be able to get HD on the Phoenix stations, but will not be able to get HD on the east coast and west coast stations? If I opted not to get local stations would I then be able to get HD signals on the east coast and west coast stations?

If you are in the Phoenix DMA, you will only get Phoenix locals. Distant networks will only be given to folks with waivers (unable to get via satellite or antenna) and subscribers that don't have local coverage via satellite at all.

6) Would appreciate any other recommendations before I start the dreaded call experience with TV customer service.

I wouldn't dread the call. DirecTV is not Dish. Customer service is way better with DirecTV, at least in my experience as a long time Dish customer and an even longer DirecTV customer.....

Folks,

1. as long as its RG6 it is to spec. I have not seen too many techs run RG6QS
2. You will get standard installation which means they are willing to run a cable from the outside wall in. If you want them to fish lines through walls then it cost extra
3. there never such a thing as too many dvrs.
4. enngh whos says you have to like sports
5. Short answer is No you will not get HD East and West. You have probably have grandfathered east and west cost locals. Problem is that the HD versions of these channels actually would require a waiver but since we offer phoenix locals they will not approve the waiver. So while we carry HD NY/LA networks you wont get them sorry.
6. Whats makes it so dreaded?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts