Upgrade or wait

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Hi all. I'm another person here who needs some advice, info, and some questions answered.

I have a 625 receiver, AT 200 with no premium channels. I'm 12 months into my current 18 month contract.

I was thinking about upgrading to the 622 basically because I heard of the external storage feature and I wanted more hours to store my programs. That's pretty much the only reason I'm even considering this. I figure this would be a good time too with the 3 months of free Showtime that's being offered to current customers.

Now I don't have an HD TV. I just have SD at the moment.

From skimming some other threads here, I read that I would have to pay a $6 per month high definition dvr enabling fee because I don't have an HD TV. $6 more per month on my bill than what I'm paying right now? Is that right?

Another question I have is does DISH network offer future contracts after this current contract or is this it?

The example I was thinking of was my cell phone company Cingular. They offer me a new 2-year contract every time my current contract runs out and in exchange for me signing that contract I get a new phone. I'm on my 3rd free phone.

Does DISH network make any offer like that after my contract runs out? Like a free upgrade from 625 to 622 in exchange for another 18 month contract?

So if you were in my current situation, would you upgrade to the 622 now, or wait till my contract runs out then upgrade to the 622, or just wait till my contract runs out so I can also consider DirecTV or Charter (Comcast isn't available in my area)? Because I know if I upgrade to a 622 or whatever now I'm pretty much in it for the long haul. Otherwise that $149 I'm paying for the upgrade (although the last CSR I talked to told me $169), I'm pretty much throwing it out the window if I only have it for 6 months. And I've had minor/tolerable problems with Dish Network up to this point so I wouldn't mind being in the long haul with them but I wouldn't mind leaving either.

I'm in almost the same situations as yours, although I've been a E* customer for a long time and pay for my AT200 annually, as well as own my own equipment. I scheduled an upgrade to a ViP 722 for my new HD set, and this was going to mean a new 1000.2 dish as well. I canceled the upgrade since I already had a wing dish pointed at 61.5 and they were adamant about the new dish and I don't trust any of the local subcontractors not to tear up my nice self-install. (I'm in a no local-HD DMA, so all I need is national HD.)

The $6 is just the lease fee for the receiver. You would pay $20 per month for HD, and I don't know if they will let you use a 622/722 just for standard definition (doubtful). They are pushing everyone to HD, so probably best to wait until you have an HD set.

sigmtr

The $6 is not a lease fee, it's a no-HD handslap. First/only receiver lease fee is free. I agree that If you don't have HD, wait until you do. Once you have, you will never want to watch the stuff on your 625!!!

I am considering the upgrade to the 722 as well even though I don't presently have an HD tv. First the 722 would offer more storage than the 625 & it will also allow you to transmit tv1 & tv2 via the home distribution setup. This is the feature that is attractive to me. I presently use my 625 to feed 4 other tvs in my house. Plus the 722 would also allow me to view the local digital channels instead of the analog ones thus giving me a better picture. To me, it might well be worth the additional $6.00 per month.

I am considering the upgrade to the 722 as well even though I don't presently have an HD tv. First the 722 would offer more storage than the 625 & it will also allow you to transmit tv1 & tv2 via the home distribution setup. This is the feature that is attractive to me. I presently use my 625 to feed 4 other tvs in my house. Plus the 722 would also allow me to view the local digital channels instead of the analog ones thus giving me a better picture. To me, it might well be worth the additional $6.00 per month.
Keep in mind that HD OTA's can only be viewed on TV1. As for your home distribution idea, I think you are over estimating what the 722 can do as opposed to the 625. It does have additional ouputs, but unless you have a component input TV, they won't do you much good until you get HDTV. I may not be understanding what you are.

From what I understand, the 722 will allow you view tv1 & tv2 via the agile modulated rf output. That is what I meant in my previous post. This would allow other tv's to see programming of tuner 1 or tuner 2.

From what I understand, the 722 will allow you view tv1 & tv2 via the agile modulated rf output. That is what I meant in my previous post. This would allow other tv's to see programming of tuner 1 or tuner 2.

Yes and no. Yes, if you are in single mode because TV2 output will mirror that of TV1. No in dual mode, because all TVs connected to the TV2 output will see only what TV2 sees. The agile modulated output is nothing new. It is on your 625. There is no separate RF/coax output for TV1, just composite, component and HDMI. So like I said earlier, there is nothing new in terms of home distribution, 625/722. Your conception would be great, but it's not a reality. You would have more flexibility if you kept your 625 and added the 722.

Last edited:
According to the brochure detailing the 722 it has:
"tv1/tv2 stereo agile modulated output". To me this says that both tuner 1 & tuner 2 can be viewed via the home distribution output. Both tuners would have to be set for different channels, but both would be accessible for viewing.

According to the brochure detailing the 722 it has:
"tv1/tv2 stereo agile modulated output". To me this says that both tuner 1 & tuner 2 can be viewed via the home distribution output. Both tuners would have to be set for different channels, but both would be accessible for viewing.

I guess you will just have to get it and be disappointed.

I guess you will just have to get it and be disappointed.

KAB, Apparently you don't have a 622/722. You can most certainly
watch both tuner 1 and tuner 2 on the modulated output. In single
mode they of course have the same program but in dual mode each
turner is carried on a separate UHF channel.

There are several advantages of the ViP622 over the 625. I'm not sure how interesting most of them would be without an HDTV.

If you're doing SD, a DVD recorder may be a better solution until you're ready to commit to HD.

KAB, Apparently you don't have a 622/722. You can most certainly
watch both tuner 1 and tuner 2 on the modulated output. In single
mode they of course have the same program but in dual mode each
turner is carried on a separate UHF channel.
I do have a 622. Read back a few more posts.

Thanks for the information guys.

About what I talked about with the contract in my original post, I'm guessing this contract is it right? Dish network doesn't offer any more contracts (for example, in exchange for a free upgrade to a 622) after this initial 18-month contract correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts