Upgrade required for continued reception of some International Channels...?

hman920

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
A family member received this letter last week (attached)...

Does anyone have any details on this?

Family member has VIP211k's with a 110, 118, 119, 129 dish.

They would like to keep using the 211k's because they are used to the easy to use basic interface and utilize the OTA tuner.

I'm not sure why an upgrade would be required as the 211k is MPEG4 compliant...

Thanks!

HK

Attachments

• DISH_Int.jpg
    DISH_Int.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 177

They would like to keep using the 211k's because they are used to the easy to use basic interface and utilize the OTA tuner.

Thanks!

HK
Dish isn't in Pasadena, CA.
My guess is that this is a retailer letter pushing to get you into a Hopper

The listed phone number is a correct DISH customer service number though.
Called DISH to get some answers. Correct, the letter is a legit DISH letter...

They told me what is happening is some of these channels are now only going to be available via "IPLL" which is IP Live Linear delivery. This, of course, requires the receiver(s) (Hopper) be connected to a high speed Internet connection.

This is pretty ridiculous! My family member is paying DISH for SATELLITE delivered TV, NOT IPTV!

I asked DISH if they are going to pay for the high speed Internet connection for this IPLL delivery, of course they said no...

Good thing is none of the channels that are actually watched in the package are affected...

I hope this IPLL will not be spreading to "mainstream" channels, hopefully it just stays with the more obscure channels hardly anyone watches anyway...

Last edited:

They told me what is happening is some of these channels are now only going to be available via "IPLL" which is IP Live Linear delivery. This, of course, requires the receiver(s) (Hopper) be connected to a high speed Internet connection.

This is pretty ridiculous! My family member is paying DISH for SATELLITE delivered TV, NOT IPTV!
I agree on this. I have noticed a trend with the streaming channels being available on the Hopper, but I can't see them on my VIP211k receiver. Thankfully they are the niche channels and I have not been impacted or missing any of the channels I watch. (although I would like to see some of the other Dish Scapes I can't see!) But that being said, I have AT&T that has a data cap on my internet each month before being charged more, so I want my TV channels delivered by satellite and that is what I pay for. The one thing I wish Dish could do would be that all their channels had a IP version so that in the case of a strong rain storm that instead of just losing signal, the message would be "Weather Related Signal Lost - attempting to load internet version of channel" and then the channel would play until the storm passed and switch back to the satellite feed.

I asked DISH if they are going to pay for the high speed Internet connection for this IPLL delivery, of course they said no...

Good thing is none of the channels that are actually watched in the package are affected...

I hope this IPLL will not be spreading to "mainstream" channels, hopefully it just stays with the more obscure channels hardly anyone watches anyway...

Do you recall which channels are affected?

I agree on this. I have noticed a trend with the streaming channels being available on the Hopper, but I can't see them on my VIP211k receiver. Thankfully they are the niche channels and I have not been impacted or missing any of the channels I watch. (although I would like to see some of the other Dish Scapes I can't see!) But that being said, I have AT&T that has a data cap on my internet each month before being charged more, so I want my TV channels delivered by satellite and that is what I pay for. The one thing I wish Dish could do would be that all their channels had a IP version so that in the case of a strong rain storm that instead of just losing signal, the message would be "Weather Related Signal Lost - attempting to load internet version of channel" and then the channel would play until the storm passed and switch back to the satellite feed.
Don't worry because Charlie has a plan to sell you internet in the future so he can get all of your streaming money

• Haha
Reactions: Tampa8
I thought 118 needed a specific LNB and bigger dish. Of course hman920 already receives 118, so he has that already.
That's what I meant, beyond what we already use for 118.
I did my first one today, dish was out of reach and had a DP500, not DPP, so I replaced the 44 Switch with a 42 Switch, in case anyone wants to do-it-theirself

Thanks!

HK
I see a Hopper Plus in your future.

Reactions: charlesrshell
This could be like an opening shot in eventually migrating everything to streaming and selling off satellite bandwidth.

What channels on Dish only stream now? I know of Charge! What others are there?

What channels on Dish only stream now? I know of Charge! What others are there?
The second DishScape channel, Stadium (when it was around), HBO Signature, HBO Family, some of the TUDN Extra channels. At one point the 6 regional PAC12 network channels showed up on the Hopper, but I don't know if the technology was such of that it was truly streaming. Whereas on the VIP211k, I only get the main Pac12 network channel and the regional channels are on the alternate channels during live games only.

Dish Anywhere is nearly 100% live streams, but no trick play.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)