Upgrade setup questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RAPMD

Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
MD
Hello,

I have been in contact with a member of DIRT about upgrading my equipment. He has been great but I understand he is one person and not just here to help me. So I was hoping to explain my setup and maybe someone could help suggest a new setup for me. I have been a Dish customer for 20+ years through maybe 3 or so accounts and used to be more up to date but lately everything has worked 'ok' and I just have not paid much attention to it.

This is my current setup, probably not typical but it works for me.

722 - connected to 1 TV via HDMI (I was about to add an HDMI splitter and run an HDMI cable to a new TV in another room from this

612 - connected to 1 TV via HDMI (I was also about to add an HDMI splitter and run and HDMI cable to the same new TV mentioned above) (additionally I was thinking of running a connection from this receiver to a TV in the garage)

612 - connected to 1 TV via HDMI and 1 TV via coax - mirroring each other. I was thinking of changing the coax to an HDMI cable.

So I don't have a great need to watch multiple channels at the same time, just want to get the signal to each TV. I think I need to ability to watch 3 live channels at the same time, the rest i am fine with just mirroring a receiver.

The new TV that I was connecting to both the 722 and 612 via long HDMI cables is in a new room, i figured i would run some HDMI cables now while the walls are open but the TV will probably not be used a whole lot so I was fine with getting the signal from another receiver, but while the walls are open I figured i would run another HDMI to the other receiver as well.

Then comes in the whole hopper/joey/super joey/wireless joey that I am just now starting to look into for the first time. I have plenty of coax running in the walls going all over the place and if I have to run additional HDMI cables I am fine with that but I am just trying to figure out the least expensive way to connect all these TV's without getting stuck with too few tuners.

The prime time recording thing i am not too concerned about, nice if its there but wouldn't be upset if it wasn't. I am still reading into how that works and takes up tuners.

Hopefully this made a little sense to someone and maybe will take a few minutes to comment on what might be a good setup option.

Thanks!!!

Yes, because a hopper and 2 Joeys is going to cost you $26 per month in fees if that's what you are thinking about doing.
He is paying $27 with 2 612's($10 each) and $7 dvr service fee. He would save $12 per year with a better experience.

I thought the VIPs were only $7?
I just remember someone swearing up and down the VIPs saves them so much money .

So if the 612 is $10 each, what's a 722 cost if you had more then 1 $12?
How about HD service is that $10?

The reason I ask, because according to my contract, and I'll show you my Bill it shows Free HD with Auto pay for only 24 months.

Last edited:
uploadfromtaptalk1445498517633.png

Hello,

I have been in contact with a member of DIRT about upgrading my equipment. He has been great but I understand he is one person and not just here to help me. So I was hoping to explain my setup and maybe someone could help suggest a new setup for me. I have been a Dish customer for 20+ years through maybe 3 or so accounts and used to be more up to date but lately everything has worked 'ok' and I just have not paid much attention to it.

722 - connected to 1 TV via HDMI (I was about to add an HDMI splitter and run an HDMI cable to a new TV in another room from this

612 - connected to 1 TV via HDMI (I was also about to add an HDMI splitter and run and HDMI cable to the same new TV mentioned above) (additionally I was thinking of running a connection from this receiver to a TV in the garage)

612 - connected to 1 TV via HDMI and 1 TV via coax - mirroring each other. I was thinking of changing the coax to an HDMI cable.

So I don't have a great need to watch multiple channels at the same time, just want to get the signal to each TV. I think I need to ability to watch 3 live channels at the same time, the rest i am fine with just mirroring a receiver.

The new TV that I was connecting to both the 722 and 612 via long HDMI cables is in a new room, i figured i would run some HDMI cables now while the walls are open but the TV will probably not be used a whole lot so I was fine with getting the signal from another receiver, but while the walls are open I figured i would run another HDMI to the other receiver as well.

Then comes in the whole hopper/joey/super joey/wireless joey that I am just now starting to look into for the first time. I have plenty of coax running in the walls going all over the place and if I have to run additional HDMI cables I am fine with that but I am just trying to figure out the least expensive way to connect all these TV's without getting stuck with too few tuners.

The prime time recording thing i am not too concerned about, nice if its there but wouldn't be upset if it wasn't. I am still reading into how that works and takes up tuners.

Hopefully this made a little sense to someone and maybe will take a few minutes to comment on what might be a good setup option.

Thanks!!!

I would suggest going Hopper with sling, Super Joey, Joey, and mirroring where you want. By using mirroring I have gone from 2 Hoppers & 3 Joeys down to 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey to save some fees. The second Hopper is mirrored to 5 TVs (with only 2 really being used) throughout the house using an RF modulator and existing coax, but these are mostly all smaller TV's so SD is fine, or in the case of the kids cave and my sons room it is very rare that they even watch TV there.

PS Primetime anytime only uses 1 tuner.

Reactions: yvie
This is my current charges:

America's Top 250$ 84.99
HD DVR Receiver$ 10.00
HD DVR Receiver$ 10.00
5 Superstations$ 7.00
DVR Service$ 7.00
HD Free For Life (reg $10)$ 0.00

So I am paying $27 for 2 receivers and DVR service.

If I had one hopper and 2 joeys, basically replacing each receiver that I currently have would each tv be able to watch separate live TV channels?

Here is what is missing in the equation. You now have six satellite tuners, and because they are not all in one receiver you have a back-up should one receiver fail.
The Hopper and two joeys would give you three satellite tuners, 1/2 of what you now have and no back-up. If you do watch the networks often (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS) the Hopper has the feature of being able to record all those networks on one tuner giving the ability to record potentially six programs with four of them being those networks. If you spend more you can add another Hopper or a Super joey that adds more tuners.
Note that the Joeys are accessing the one Hopper, all are sharing those three tuners.

The Hopper is a very different receiver, and newer technology. Think of it as a server.

I thought the VIPs were only $7?
I just remember someone swearing up and down the VIPs saves them so much money .

So if the 612 is $10 each, what's a 722 cost if you had more then 1 $12?
How about HD service is that $10?

The reason I ask, because according to my contract, and I'll show you my Bill it shows Free HD with Auto pay for only 24 months.

VIP saves over what? I don't compared my savings to a Hopper, I have compared it to what DIRECT TV charges for the same equipment. Hoppers have never been in the equation. Now that you bring it up however, I have more tuners than I would with the Hopper, back-up, and with three actual receivers at three rooms would pay $1 more. The reason I never compare the two is because the technology is different, for some having a whole house solution works better.
Also, HD is for life for most of us.

Here is what is missing in the equation. You now have six satellite tuners, and because they are not all in one receiver you have a back-up should one receiver fail.
The Hopper and two joeys would give you three satellite tuners, 1/2 of what you now have and no back-up. If you do watch the networks often (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS) the Hopper has the feature of being able to record all those networks on one tuner giving the ability to record potentially six programs with four of them being those networks. If you spend more you can add another Hopper or a Super joey that adds more tuners.
Note that the Joeys are accessing the one Hopper, all are sharing those three tuners.

The Hopper is a very different receiver, and newer technology. Think of it as a server.
Add in the Hopper is a new installation you can't just replace the VIP receivers. The Hopper requires a node and Joeys need to run through the node so you may need new wiring.

Reactions: Tampa8
211 family= $7/month
Solo dvrs=$10/month
Duo non dvr=$14/month
Duo dvr=$17/month
VIP equipment minus 922=$7/month
922 is $17/month but it's dvr service fee is $10

so if i am reading this right an hopper and 2 joeys gets 3 tuners. If at any given time i am recording 2 shows only one is left over to watch a live show among all 3 tv's?

maybe the hopper/joey setup isn't for me. it looks a lot better but unless I add a second hopper it seems that I am better off now as far as the number of tv's that can watch live tv.

You can get a second hopper, which would cost $4 more than your current payment, as the second hopper is $12 compared to $7 for a Joey. That will give you 4 TB hard drive, and 6 tuners.

Reactions: Troch77
You can get a second hopper, which would cost $4 more than your current payment, as the second hopper is $12 compared to $7 for a Joey. That will give you 4 TB hard drive, and 6 tuners.
Or a SuperJoey would be 5 tuners For a Total of $29 per month.
$12 DVR fee
$10 Super joey fee.
$ 7 Joeys fee.

I went with the 2 Hopper setup.
But I also have Free DVR service for 24 months.

You can see that on my bill.

Plus with Less then 4 rooms, they are going to give you a hard time about 2 Hoppers, They will more then likely charge you an upgrade fee.
They would rather you go with a Super Joey.

Super Joey does add a nice option. Doesn't add any back-up but you get 5 tuners total. Your fees would be $29 including a Hopper and regular Joey also. If you got two Hoppers and a Joey it would cost $31, six tuners and a back-up.
Keep in mind when we say a Hopper has three tuners, it does record all four networks on one tuner.

f you want to keep it cheap stay with your existing system then add the long HDMI cables.
An interesting theory, but HDCP is making it increasingly difficult to implement. The first sign your in trouble is when both TVs have to be on to watch either of them.

If you really only need three live channels at a time, you could do that with just the 722 and one of the 612's, and save some money that way, by using the 722 in Dual Mode. The TV2 output of the 722 is SD-only, so if the TV in the garage is SD, or a small-screen HD TV, I would suggest connecting that TV to the TV2 output of the 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)