Upgrade to 722 or 922?

Phils

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Paradise, CA
I'm upgrading from a VIP622.

If I get a 722 my monthly bill stays the same.

A 922 will raise my bill by $4 a month.

Sling will not be used. At all, ever.

Is the 922 worth the extra $48 per year?

Phil

I'm upgrading from a VIP622.

If I get a 722 my monthly bill stays the same.

A 922 will raise my bill by $4 a month.

Sling will not be used. At all, ever.

Is the 922 worth the extra $48 per year?

Phil
Why do you want to change?

I went from a 622 to 722 to 922 to Hopper and I've never been more pleased. Can you even get a 922 from DISH anymore?

Have you ruled out the Hopper?

Upgrade to a 722K, with optional OTA mod, if you can get OTA...2 sat tuners, 2 OTA.

navychop said:
For a single TV, a ViP may make more sense than a Hopper.

Like the HD Solo 211s that can be integrated into DVRs with external hard drives and a one-time $40 fee (for all the 211s on the account). No monthly DVR fee associated with the 211; however, having other DVR receivers would mean a DVR fee (currently $6/month).

The primary receiver would be "free" or included in the base price. Additional receivers would cost more. Additional 211s would be $7/month.

Thanks, navychop, that's the answer my wife wanted to hear.

I was figuring on the 722 but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. The 922 has an even larger hard drive and 'improved GUI' but I really have no complaints about the capacity of our 622 since we have an EHD. And the 722 should still be "better".

Obviously, if I had any interest in Sling I wouldn't have even started this thread. I'd have just ordered the 922.

We've had private communications in the past and I already respect your opinion.

Another option would be getting a replacement 622, but since an upgrade was just as easy and also no cost, figured I might as well. Then came the choice of which one.

I've read posts in the past about the 722 problems, but long ago there were many problems with the 622 and I've seen posts about problems with the 922. I spend extra money for the Protection Plan and every problem I've had over the many years I've been with Dish have been handled promptly and properly. These days it's even better because I simply communicate with a DIRT member rather than spend a long time on hold, try and descibe the problem to a foreigner, do all the same troubleshooting procedures again for them, then get connected to someone that can actually help.

I wish EVERY company had the equivilant of DIRT!!

Phil

The other replies appeared while I was replying to navychop. Thank you.

I have a 612 that is our RV receiver. We'd have had to turn it off to get a Hopper. Our housesitters like having Dish while we are "camping" and it's easier to leave both connected anyway.

And we already have a 1TB EHD, which I've been moving things to in preparation for the change.

I've seen threads in other forums about "... been asked and answered many times, do a search..." but also "... many are just looking for reinforcement of their decision...", which is my case.

The problems with my 622, oddly enough, have disappeared now that I've removed most of the saved recordings (frequent black screen flashes ONLY on our local channels whether OTA or from Dish).

I've seen mentioned the "OTA module". What the heck is that? You gotta buy or install something to make a 722 get programs from my antenna?

Phil

The 722 has an ant in. (one extra tuner for an off air ant)
722 k doesn't have a built in ant in. But you can get the "add on" ota mod that slides into a port on the back that rec that gives you 2 extra ant tuners.

I defenitly do not recommend "upgrading " to a 722/722k.
When your 622 dies or "has problems" .
Get a service change set up the tech will be able to replace it with a 722 no problem if he has one. We haven't had 622s at the warehouse for about a year or so.

Can you specify to Dish whether you want a 722 or 722K? Do you gotta pay for that module for the 722K? I get only PBS and CBS on antenna so there's little value in the two-OTA module since I also get the channels via Dish. The only time I even look at OTA is when there are problems with satellite reception somewhere in the chain.

Phil

Even with 1 TV, the Hopper has significant advantages. New UI, larger hard drive, PTAT, Autohop, etc. Have you given it any thought instead of the 722/922?
Disadvantage...an extra $7.00 per month (with obligatory Joey).

I gave the Hopper a thought when I was looking at Dish's website. Looks like it'll jump over commercial breaks but only on the networks and only during prime time... did I misinterpret something?

I don't know what PTAT is.

My DIRT member even said she figured that because we like the 612 in our RV, it would be a 'deal killer' for the Hopper.

But that's why I first looked at all the options, PM'd with DIRT, and then started this thread. I want opinions and reasons.

And I'm getting them. Thank you. All are appreciated.

Phil

Even with 1 TV, the Hopper has significant advantages. New UI, larger hard drive, PTAT, Autohop, etc. Have you given it any thought instead of the 722/922?

PTAT is the recording of ALL the 4 network channels onto one of the three HOPPER tuners from 8-11 PM. If you don't watch much network, not a real advantage.

I have a 612 that is our RV receiver. We'd have had to turn it off to get a Hopper. Our housesitters like having Dish while we are "camping" and it's easier to leave both connected anyway.

I don't what you meant by "camping" but i will just point out that is against Dish policy to have a receiver separate from the others, at different properties, having people watch in two places.

It can't be TOO much against their policy! We've had a separate RV receiver for over a decade. A year ago when we installed an HD TV in the trailer, Dish upgraded our RV receiver to the 612 for a $3 monthly increase (either dual tuner or DVR or HD, can't remember) . Since it was SD to HD they even sent a tech out to "install", though I'd told them I could easily do it myself. I'm glad they sent the tech though.

That tech showed me his smartphone app that locates the satellites 'virtually'... so I bought it for my wife's phone and now use it to help pick which campsite we choose in addition to making it easier to aim the dish. I already had put my portable dish up before he got here and he immediately pulled out his smartphone and showed me that I could have set the dish up 3 feet from the RV instead of the 30 feet where I knew I'd find the birds.

Then they transferred my old 301 to my brother's account for use in his RV. And my brother was impressed by DIRT as they called him to make the switch.

Or, am I not supposed to reveal that on occasion someone is watching my home TV while we are camping? Or just tell our housesitters to use antenna TV only?

I'll upgrade to the 722. And though I still don't know whether the OTA module for the K model costs extra or not, it matters little because I can put my antenna connection directly to the TV and would only lose the ability to record off of antenna (no big deal as the limited channels I can get also come via Dish).

It was that configuration that finally convinced me it was the 622 failing. Those momentary 'black screens' occured whether I was watching locals via Dish or from the antenna through the 622. But hooked up directly to the TV, they didn't happen. This had been going on for months and since it was ONLY the locals affected, I assumed it was some common link from them to Colorado. Sometimes we lose ALL the locals at the same time (yellow screen) so I assumed there was a common connection somewhere in the chain.

Phil

I don't what you meant by "camping" but i will just point out that is against Dish policy to have a receiver separate from the others, at different properties, having people watch in two places.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts