Upgrade to 722

rdharper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Sanity check please.

Current hardware: 2 508's Sw21 3-sat
Software: P369

Can I plug in a 722 in place of one of the 508's.. no other changes?

(Reason for keeping one 508... wifee resists change big-time. So the way that works is... I use/learn the new system. Then she gets interested. Then I add a second 722.. at which time I'm sure I'll need a new switch. But for the first step.. I think I need only plug in one 722 in place of one 508 and use it in "single mode". )

Right?

I have a 2 dish system. 110/119 on dish pro plus twin and there's a ... I think dish 500 up on the roof shooting 61.5. I have a 622 and a 508. The 622 is a recent replacement where I previously had a 625. No cabling, dish, or LNB changes in my situation, but yours is a little different. Single coax to each receiver. The 622 has a splitter/combiner that ships with it right before the cable connects to the receiver.

NOTE! Your 508 is exempt from any DVR fees so if you replace it with a receiver that is subject to DVR fees then you'll see a 5 or 6 dollar charge on your bill that you never saw before. :)

Not sure what programming package you have, but take a look at the DVR Advantage as it will save you a few dollars ( like... 4 bucks) and negates the DVR fee for the new HD receiver.

Nope. You'll need one more line from the dish to the 722 with the hardware you have -OR- remove the SW21 switches and legacy LNBF and replace with DPP Twin. :)

Not to argue... but I don't get it. Why can I not just plug one of the two lines into the 722, and leave the 508 with its line as is.

What happens?

I have a 2 dish system. 110/119 on dish pro plus twin and there's a ... I think dish 500 up on the roof shooting 61.5. I have a 622 and a 508. The 622 is a recent replacement where I previously had a 625. No cabling, dish, or LNB changes in my situation, but yours is a little different. Single coax to each receiver. The 622 has a splitter/combiner that ships with it right before the cable connects to the receiver.

NOTE! Your 508 is exempt from any DVR fees so if you replace it with a receiver that is subject to DVR fees then you'll see a 5 or 6 dollar charge on your bill that you never saw before. :)

Not sure what programming package you have, but take a look at the DVR Advantage as it will save you a few dollars ( like... 4 bucks) and negates the DVR fee for the new HD receiver.

Programming package is "everything". The offer I'm seeing is $49 after rebate for the 722. Long time no-problem customer.. think 8.5 years now.

I also have twin dual LNB's... don't know whether they are legacy or what. I think they were added about a 2 years ago when I added all the local stuff. So one dish, the one I believe is dual twin lnb's, plus a small dish which picks up the locals.

I wonder if Dish keeps track of what they've got installed.. hmmm.

Not to argue... but I don't get it. Why can I not just plug one of the two lines into the 722, and leave the 508 with its line as is.

What happens?

The 722 needs to see the same switch matrix on BOTH satellite tuners to work.

It needs to have both tuners hooked up.

LER

The 722 needs to see the same switch matrix on BOTH satellite tuners to work.

It needs to have both tuners hooked up.

LER

Ok... I get what you are saying. But I do not see why it won't work with a single line in. That makes no sense (to me). By "work", I mean the ability to record on one channel. Maybe the software works only on the assumption of both lines hooked up.

Anyway... thanks.

Look at your dish pointing to 110/119. Does it say DPP on it? You may need to replace the LNBs if they are legacy LNBs. I don't think I have any switches showing in my current 2-dish setup. Like as if the switching is happening inside the LNB head of the DPP where I can't see it maybe.

I'm sure no expert on this stuff but I KNOW I had a visible switch at one time.... maybe before the 625 went in which I'm pretty sure is when they changed the LNBs and maybe the dish quite a while back.

Come to think of it... I still have a dish...just the reflector part... in my garage. I wonder if I can do anything with that. :)

Look at your dish pointing to 110/119. Does it say DPP on it? You may need to replace the LNBs if they are legacy LNBs. I don't think I have any switches showing in my current 2-dish setup. Like as if the switching is happening inside the LNB head of the DPP where I can't see it maybe.

I'm sure no expert on this stuff but I KNOW I had a visible switch at one time.... maybe before the 625 went in which I'm pretty sure is when they changed the LNBs and maybe the dish quite a while back.

Come to think of it... I still have a dish...just the reflector part... in my garage. I wonder if I can do anything with that. :)

You mean the physical dish.. it says dish 500, not DPP. But it is Dual twin lnb's. They were replaced once, without the dish being replaced.

What does DPP stand for?

You guys are convincing me... need to have an installer come out. Free anyway... at least theoretically. :)

The DPP ( Dish Pro Plus) LNB will give you the ability to use 1 wire from the dish to the receiver. At the receiver they will install a switch (separator) that will split that single line to 2 lines so that you can use both tunners.

I recommend you go that route with your current setup.

If you have a sw21 switch then you have an old legacy LNB on your dish. This will not work with a single wire to a 722. Your options are to either replace your switch and lnbs with a new DPP twin LNB or to run another line to the 722. It WILL NOT work correctly with the one line. Seperators only work with DPP technology.

If you have a sw21 switch then you have an old legacy LNB on your dish. This will not work with a single wire to a 722. Your options are to either replace your switch and lnbs with a new DPP twin LNB or to run another line to the 722. It WILL NOT work correctly with the one line. Seperators only work with DPP technology.

I'm convinced.. thanks guys.

with a 722 you will likely want HD content, you need to be getting 61.5 or 129 in addition to the 110 and 119 you're getting now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts