Upgrade To DirecTV HD - Newbie Post

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ccorson97

Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
I currently have SD DirecTV with multiple DirecTivo's in different rooms. I just purchased a 51" HDTV and I am looking to convert to DirecTV HD for that TV. I have a couple of questions....

(1) I am looking at the $49 after rebate deal on DirecTV website. Since I am in Columbus,OH and they don't offer the HD locals yet (but I saw rumor is May rollout), do I have to ASK for the MPEG4 receiver or is that what is included in the deal?

(2) I assume that the process is that they replace my dish, add the HD receiver to the HDTV, and all other receivers, etc stay the same. Does that mean I will still be able to use the DirecTivo's on the non-HD sets and record ALL channels from them (even the channels broadcast in HD)?

I want to get in on this cheap deal, but want to make sure what I get is the most updated, so basically I just wait for them to roll out channels in HD without having to upgrade again.

Thanks,
Craig

I can answer 2 for you with some degree of being correct.

Your HD receiver will replace any existing receiver you currently have connected to you HD TV.

All other receivers will stay the same.

The TiVo's will still work on your other sets, but a special HD Tivo would be needed to run on your HD set. There is no way to setup a Tivo on your HD set unless you want to juggle with inputs and another receiver on your HD TV setup. Possible, but more of a pain.

HD Channels are not broadcast over any other Receiver except the HD Receiver.

I found that quite surprising when I first joined. And unless something has changed, this fact remains the same.

I had Voom and you could watch any HD content on any types of TV, but then you still need Vooms HD Receivers, they were all HD Ready, even when you hooked up to a 4:3 TV. So that's most likley the reason now that I think about it, why I could watch HD content on 4:3 tvs.

So, if I order now I will get the H20, correct? Is that all they are installing now?

That's the part I don't know. I have know idea waht you will get.

Especially if you are in a market that has not been converted to the new MPEG 4 format.

You can only call them at this point.

I called DirecTV and was told that I would get the 3 LNB and not the MPEG4 with the 5 LNB because I am not in an area where they provide the locals in HD yet.

So, it looks like the best option is to wait until the HD Locals are available in my area to switch, since they are saying it would be a $99 upgrade from the 3 LNB to 5 LNB when that happens.

So now my question is...

What outside off-air HDTV antennas have folks had good success with? I have seen the Terk's that just mount to my dish. I would like to do the installation myself, and use as much of the existing cable as I can. Luckily, my dish is mounted at ground level.

Any suggestions?

Ota

Go to antennaweb.org and figure out what antenna to get from what you're told there.

When I ordered HD from DirecTV, I got the $50 OTA antenna that they packaged with it. I knew that the broadcast antennas were only eleven miles away, so I figured anything on the roof would suffice. I was wrong.

Turns out that due to some hills and such, I need a medium directional antenna at best, and the one they install is a multi-directional they called the "pizza" that did nothing for me. Bye bye, fifty bucks. Tried a Zenith Silver Sensor too for the heck of it, no luck.

Since then, I realized that the HD package doesn't really have all that much to offer me, so I've cancelled it. I still have the HD-TiVo, but no HD programming. I'll consider switching back up to it once they have more things to watch (Red Sox baseball), but not sooner.
So check out that website, and get an antenna that matches your needs. Good luck.

Last edited:
I got the H20 and im in Columbus as well. the tech told me that witht he HD boxes, they are installing MPEG4 boxes for new subs only, to prement a massive upgrade process when they roll out hd lil. The OTA attenna is made by Eagle Aspen, and if need be i can take pictures for you for what it looks like, im in the gahanna/blendon woods area and i get nbc,upn,abc,cbs and wsfj all fine and stable. if you need extra info PM me. Outherwise i'd go ahead and go for the deal now, but since its only 2 weeks away you could wait, but its up to you, i'd personaly have no issue with the 99 fee for the new dish, as long as i know its done right. Oh and BTW the install company for us if you buy direct from D* is Bluegrass Satellite.

One other tiny thing to think about is if you want more than the big 4 networks, you'll still need OTA with the mpeg4 receiver. Also, you can't diplex with the new dish so would have to run a new line for OTA if you didn't do that already. I have no idea how installers will deal with this other than to run a new line for those that still want OTA with their new dish.

Plywodstatebum said:
If you can't diplex with the new dish. How would you hook up 6 TV's like I have?

wire to each from a central distribution point and no doubt an amp needed.

Directv missed the boat here. In addition to only doing the big 4, you can't even easily use your old antenna. Maybe if CW gets on the satellite the end of this year they can make up for it, but until then, it's gonna be a real pain for people like you that have multiple OTA connections needed. 1 additional wire to each room is likely a dealbreaker for some people.

Status
Please reply by conversation.