Upgrade to HD from DirecTV Tivos?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jca

Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
I've been asking around elsewhere but wanted opinions from this forum: We have three DirecTivo R10s and need to upgrade to HD. A few questions:

1. I'm told our Internet Connection Kit (with Whole Home MRV) will allow the installer to activate new HD receivers via our internet connection, so a phone line activation will not be required (since we do not have land lines). Do I have that right?

2. Our ideal install would be to upgrade two of our R10s DirecTivos to HR24s and leave one R10 in place. Would this be possible if they change out the dish and wiring (SWM single wire?) for the HD? I know an R10 is not MRV or SWM compatible, but would like to keep one R10 going if at all possible. Is there any install scenario where we could keep one/some of our R10 DirecTivos working in the same environment as new HR24 HD DVRs?

3. I've read that you cannot guarantee receiving HR24 receivers (unless you buy them directly elsewhere). Several threads mention rejecting the receivers if the installer shows up with anything other than HR24s and get the install rescheduled until they can provide those HR24s. Does that work?

4. I'll be calling DirecTV and playing roulette to see what kind of offer I will get. Considering I want (two or three) R10s upgraded to HR24s, MRV Whole Home with Internet Connection Kit, new dish/lnb/wiring install, and HD lineup, what kind of minimum offer should I expect so I know what to reject and try again or to accept?

Appreciate any help info.

1. I'm told our Internet Connection Kit (with Whole Home MRV) will allow the installer to activate new HD receivers via our internet connection, so a phone line activation will not be required (since we do not have land lines). Do I have that right?

The DirecTV HD receivers do not need either a phone line or an internet connection to be activated, unlike your R10s.

2. Our ideal install would be to upgrade two of our R10s DirecTivos to HR24s and leave one R10 in place. Would this be possible if they change out the dish and wiring (SWM single wire?) for the HD? I know an R10 is not MRV or SWM compatible, but would like to keep one R10 going if at all possible. Is there any install scenario where we could keep one/some of our R10 DirecTivos working in the same environment as new HR24 HD DVRs?

In general, no. If they replace the LNB at the dish with an SWM LNB, all receivers MUST be SWM compatible. There is a way of doing what you want but the installer probably won't be set up to do it, probably won't have the equipment on the truck. You would need to connect four cables from the dish to an SWM8 multiswitch; as well as supporting SWM devices, the SWM8 has legacy outputs which you could connect to an R10.

3. I've read that you cannot guarantee receiving HR24 receivers (unless you buy them directly elsewhere). Several threads mention rejecting the receivers if the installer shows up with anything other than HR24s and get the install rescheduled until they can provide those HR24s. Does that work?

There's no guarantee of HR24s, in fact the HR24s right now are in short supply. Rejecting the install if the DVRs are not HR24s works for some people, but you could find that the rescheduled install visit does not give you HR24s either. The installer will use whatever is on his truck/in the warehouse.

4. I'll be calling DirecTV and playing roulette to see what kind of offer I will get. Considering I want (two or three) R10s upgraded to HR24s, MRV Whole Home with Internet Connection Kit, new dish/lnb/wiring install, and HD lineup, what kind of minimum offer should I expect so I know what to reject and try again or to accept?

It's really difficult to know what sort of a deal they will offer you, because of the R10 to HD DVR upgrade.

Appreciate any help info.[/QUOTE]

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)