Upgrade to HD questions

cruiser83

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
So, I am contemplating an upgrade to HD. I currently have the Dish Top 120 package. If I upgrade, can I keep the same package thus making those channels which are available in HD activated for me to view or will I need to switch to one of the Dish America packages??

Also, I do not need the hoppers and joeys, I would be happy with just one HD box to run 2 TV's, (even if TV2 is SD) Is there any additional charges on the bill for HD programming w/ one box beyond the $7/mo. DVR fee?

And lastly, my current TV is only a 720p, would it basically be a waste to upgrade programming without first upgrading the TV, would I see that much improvement with just a 720p?

Thanks In Advance

720 is fine, the picture quality between HD and SD will be night and day. You can keep the AT120 and add the HD120 package along with for $10 per month to get all the HD versions of those channels that Dish offers.

Unless something has changed, you can get Free HD for Life by signing up for AutoPay with Paperless Billing. Contact a DIRT member.

I went nearly five years with all 720p sets.

Ya, don't pay the $10 per month, HD can be free. Either paperless billing and autopay, or pay a one time $99 fee. Even paying the fee, after 10 months you are ahead. There is very little difference - none on smaller sets - that you can or anyone can see between 720P and 1080I at what distance most would watch TV from. Some would say 720P actually looks better for some programming when close enough to see. Add to that two of the four Networks, and ESPN are in 720P anyway.

And lastly, my current TV is only a 720p, would it basically be a waste to upgrade programming without first upgrading the TV, would I see that much improvement with just a 720p?

alot of channels are broadcasting HD at 720p including Fox, ESPN, ABC and MLB Network (to name a few)
CBS & NBC do broadcast at 1080i

alot of channels are broadcasting HD at 720p including Fox, ESPN, ABC and MLB Network (to name a few)
CBS & NBC do broadcast at 1080i
And I still contend that ABC is the best looking HD, IMO.

Funny about that - though CBS is in 1080I, and shows like Hawaii 5-0 and CSI are some of the best examples of HD, many of their other programs are worse than say ABC programs. OTA, it may also depend somewhat on your local station and how many sub channels they have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)