Upgrade to Hopper or add another 722

rambeaux

Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Alabama
I'm brand new to the forum and have been hanging around, reading and trying to learn all about the technology and options available. I have really enjoyed reading and learning for you guys. If my questions seem dumb or don't make sense, I will appreciate any help or input. Now for my question. I am a longtime dish customer who has had a 722(den/BR) and a 322(2 other BR's). This has worked fine until now and I have replaced an old tube t.v. with an HDTV. We basically watch cable channels/sports/movies, and very little prime time network viewing. I want to get HD/DVR in the den and master BR, currently being serviced by the 722. The other 2 BR's are fine with SD. Should I add another 722 and service BR 2&3 with the SD tuners or go with the Hopper/Joey setup? Thanks in advance!!

If you kept your 722 and upgraded your 322 to another 722, that would cost $17/mo rather than the $14/mo that the 322 costs you. Do-able.

Current cost for receivers: $6/mo DVR fee for 722, and $14/mo for the 322.
Upgrade 1: $6/mo DVR fee for 722, and $17/mo for second 722.
Upgrade 2: 1 Hopper: $10/mo, plus 3 Joeys equals $21.

N.B. you can't put any older receiver on the same account with a Hopper other than an owned 211 by claiming you have a Tailgater.

If your 2 SD TVs don't have composite (red white yellow) inputs, it'll be harder to connect Joeys to them as you'll need a modulator to connect each one. That is one consideration. The other would be if you do decide to go the hopper/joey route, is getting 2 hoppers and 2 joeys would give you more tuners for the same monthly price as 1H/3J. You'd just have a higher upfront upgrade price.

Get another 722. You'll end up paying more for a hopper and three Joeys for what you describe you want...and possible connection problems as dare2bw mentioned. You'll also have MORE tuners, 3 or 4 (with the K and OTA module) and you can share the EHD between them.

I may not have been clear on what I am considering. I will do away with the 322, replace with another 722K. One 722K will support family room HD & BR 1 SD, the other will support master BR HD and BR 2 SD. With this set up, will this be 4 tuners ( 2 HD & 2 SD )? I also am not sure about the OTA module you refer to. Not too knowledgeable on some of the technology and terms. Hope I'm not too confusing. Thanks in advance for explanations.

2 Hoppers and two Joeys would be the top of the line, giving you 6 tuners. But two ViP722 series might be better in your case. You'll have to weigh what you want. Is the fancier guide of value to you?

I will do away with the 322, replace with another 722K. One 722K will support family room HD & BR 1 SD, the other will support master BR HD and BR 2 SD. With this set up, will this be 4 tuners ( 2 HD & 2 SD )? I also am not sure about the OTA module you refer to.

Yes, two 722k's collectively have 4 satellite tuners, both of which are HD tuners. The OTA module is an extra cost tuner module that gives you 2 more ATSC broadcast tuners, both of which are also HD tuners. OTA stands for Over The Air.

I have decided to go with the additional 722K receiver upgrade. I spoke with Dish and they will upgrade my equipment with $0 upfront and $15 tech visit. Of course there will be another 24 month agreement which I understand. I have been a customer with Dish for about 10 years and I asked for any discounts to help offset costs for my loyalty as a customer. I was informed there were no promotions and all he could do was $5 credit for 6 months. I was hoping for at least half of the new commitment or 12 month's. Am I being unreasonable, and was the offer about what would be normal? The only thing that disappoints me is the fact I have been a customer for so long.

gary, you read that wrong. He wasn't asking for a change in the agreement length, just to get credits that would last longer than 6 months.

I have decided to go with the additional 722K receiver upgrade. I spoke with Dish and they will upgrade my equipment with $0 upfront and $15 tech visit. Of course there will be another 24 month agreement which I understand. I have been a customer with Dish for about 10 years and I asked for any discounts to help offset costs for my loyalty as a customer. I was informed there were no promotions and all he could do was $5 credit for 6 months. I was hoping for at least half of the new commitment or 12 month's. Am I being unreasonable, and was the offer about what would be normal? The only thing that disappoints me is the fact I have been a customer for so long.
Contact DIRT. If you deserve better, they will give it to you.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/272906-A-Note-About-the-DIRT-Team

Go to bottom of Forum page, look for on line members in RED. Pm one of them.

Last edited:
Were you asking for only a 12 month commitment? Dish needs the 24 month to recoup the cost of equipment. Unless you plan to leave Dish in less than 2 years, what difference does 12 vs 24 month make?

all he could do was $5 credit for 6 months. I was hoping for at least half of the new commitment or 12 month's.

Dish does not budge on the length of their agreements. If you don't want the two years, you are stuck buying the equipment.

Were you asking for only a 12 month commitment? Dish needs the 24 month to recoup the cost of equipment. Unless you plan to leave Dish in less than 2 years, what difference does 12 vs 24 month make?

gary, you read that wrong. He wasn't asking for a change in the agreement length, just to get credits that would last longer than 6 months.
He wanted his credits to be extended from 6 months to 12 months, which is half the length of the agreement.

dare2be - you are correct. I completely understand the 24 month commitment. I only asked them for the extended credit break. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts