Upgrade to Hopper or switch to DirecTv?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MisterJim

Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
NE Ohio
I have a DISH VIP622 and a 211 receiver at the present time. I am running 3 TV's (1 in family room w/622 and 1 in shop building about 85 feet away from house; and the 211 runs a TV in my "man cave".)
I want HD ability on all 3 sets so if I upgrade to the Hopper; what do I need in the way of Joeys (or Super Joeys) to get all 3 on HD? I am falling behind on understanding all the new technology but I am interested in going wireless (especially for my shop building) but how reliable are they?

I looked at Direct's website and their Wireless Mini Genie seems to suit my requirements but not sure how good those are in actual use. I have been with DISH for 7 years and have never had a problem but I am spoiled with HD reception and really want it for my shop building!!!

You would want probably, a hopper, super Joey, and Joey. That will give you 5 tuners, and hd on 3 TVs. With ptat enabled you can record 8 things at once. If you have an OTA then you can get the OTA adapter and that also gives you an additional tuner.

You could opt for a Hopper, Super Joey and a Wireless Joey. IMO I wouldn't try the Wireless Joey for this for your set up. The only issue you may run into with the Wireless Joey is the range it has. Due to different construction methods we recommend they be used in adjacent rooms. For instance if you have a brick wall between your living room and man cave it may not work very well. For the Hopper to work with a Wireless Joey you need a Wireless access point. This converts the Hoppers signal into a Wi-Fi signal. This has to be plugged into the Hopper. If you can run the wire You can move the access point for the Wireless Joey about 25 feet from the Hopper which may make it closer but you still have 60 feet space between it and your garage so it's a much longer than recommended distance. But then again it may work perfectly.

If wireless is not necessary, save yourself the $50 for the WAP. Get the regular Joey. Or if you have a ps3 in there, just download the virtual Joey, same cost, and use that.

Thanks Chad and Dan for the quick response to my questions. I think I will do a little more research and try to come to a reasonable solution. I have the cable running out to my shop building but I was hoping wireless would enable me to move the TV around in the building whenever I wanted but I guess I can be happy with staying with all the wires!!

How far away is the shop building from the wireless router in your home? If not that far, you may be able to get the best of both worlds. Have the tech install a wired Joey, and then when you feel the need to move it around, ask the tech nicely to leave behind a wireless adapter. You can then connect that when the mood strikes and make your Joey wireless. Some people have theirs permanently connected like that, which I wouldn't suggest doing, but this way you have it wireless when you want it(free) and wired otherwise. I have done that to move my tv to my patio for football games and bbqs.

85 feet through at least two outdoor walls may be a bit too much to ask for 5GHz Wi-fi regardless of the service you choose. In DISH's favor, you can DIY a Wi-fi setup that uses 2.4GHz instead and that may provide somewhat better penetration. DIRECTV's boxes support only DIRECTV's networking solutions.

What configuration of boxes you need depends largely on how much and what kind of live TV you watch.

Hey I was approached at Sam's yesterday by a Direct TV promo guy with a outstanding offer. I usually just blow them off as I love my hoppers but the pricing blew me away. They offered me two genies and whole house access with no wires for my 5 tv's for 89/mo. All my channels (I have top 250) and all movie channels. Install was $19. Price guaranteed one year - second year $116. All HD package. I currently have two hoppers (one with sling) and three joeys. Two of the joeys are hardly ever used and the additional $14/mo really nags at me but if the grandkids come over I need them.
I am wondering what the catch is......I have been with Dish for more than 10 years.....but saving money is a real priority.

Comments are appreciated....

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hey I was approached at Sam's yesterday by a Direct TV promo guy with a outstanding offer. I usually just blow them off as I love my hoppers but the pricing blew me away. They offered me two genies and whole house access with no wires for my 5 tv's for 89/mo. All my channels (I have top 250) and all movie channels. Install was $19. Price guaranteed one year - second year $116. All HD package. I currently have two hoppers (one with sling) and three joeys. Two of the joeys are hardly ever used and the additional $14/mo really nags at me but if the grandkids come over I need them.
I am wondering what the catch is......I have been with Dish for more than 10 years.....but saving money is a real priority.

Part of it's BS since you aren't allowed two Genie's on an account.

Here's another solution to getting Dish in the shop building. Get an IView tablet and use Dish Anywhere. I think I have the 877. It has a mini hdmi out. I've used it when I travel. With a mini to std hdmi cable, I can mirror the tablet screen on the tv.
Then you could do the same when you travel. Bypassing the crappy cable that hotels offer.

You may want to consider purchasing a Joey. You then activate/deactivate as needed when the grand-kids are there. Saves the $7/mo when not being used. YOu don't have to return what you own.

Stick with what you Love.

Go to Direct's web site and look at the program package they are quoting. See if it really is true.
Have you ever wondered why Direct has to use shills and Dish doesn't?

The direct tv sales guy also told me you can transfer any dish recording saved to Direct Tv hard drive. They make promises they can't keep.

Ha! They never have to talk to a customer again. They don't care if you call back 4 days later and cancel. They still got their sale. I saw it all the time working in the broadband department. "You'll never reach your data cap if you sub to dishnet 10gb, for online gaming". Correct. Because it is far to hard to game on sat internet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)