upgraded receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree the filter is important that's why I called to have it installed. However, they don't install the filter on the pole. The guy that installed my new outlet went up the pole because he thought my signal was a bit weak. I could see what was up there, it was just a splitter feeding four houses, which he replaced and put a new connector on each of the lines. There were no filters up there and he installed my filter in the gray plastic box on the side of my house where the cable feed comes in and splits off to my outlets. The person I spoke with on the phone said they install the filter where the cable comes into my house next to my splitter so they may need to get into my backyard depending on where that's located (not my case). I get the impression they don't put the filter on the pole. Also, when you start new service with Comcast these days you can actually do a self install. You just go to the office, sign up, they give you the equipment right there and you take it home and hook it up. I see a ton of new customers doing this when I'm waiting in line (or on their couch) at the office.
Do they tell you to run your own coax and jacks too ?

The reason new customer self install is available is because most homes are already wired for cable. So, no you don't need to run your own coax lol
Assuming there aren't any non Directv splitters, many homeowners can do their own installs. I doubt most know the difference between a Directv splitter and one they can get at Walmart.

The reason new customer self install is available is because most homes are already wired for cable. So, no you don't need to run your own coax lol
And when you need a line in a room that doesn't have one already ?

Not all houses are set up and have had service ....
I go into homes everyday and end up putting jacks in because the sub wants service on a different wall or a different room than the last person ... it happens all the time.
So, ya, No Tech is ever required.

If a tech wasn't required then why do I have so much work turning service on every day ?

I go into homes everyday and end up putting jacks in because the sub wants service on a different wall or a different room than the last person ... it happens all the time.

If a tech wasn't required then why do I have so much work turning service on every day ?
I think we've gone off the rails here. I didn't say we never need a tech. I called one to install a new outlet. What I was trying say is the Directv/Comcast story that the newer receivers can't be self installed isn't necessarily true. If you can install the HR54 yourself, which Directv will let you do, you can also install the HS17. They aren't all that different. That's the point I was trying to make with my Comcast X1 experience. You seem to think I'm saying techs are unnecessary, I'm not. Not sure why you got that impression.

Most cable/phone companies won't touch your inside wiring unless you pay them. They have a monthly 'maintenance' fee for your inside wiring, and charge T&M for running new wire. If you wanted to get cable in an old house that didn't have wiring, or wanted it in rooms that don't have wiring, that won't be part of the standard install. Directv goes sort of 'above and beyond' compared to them, at least at present.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Most cable/phone companies won't touch your inside wiring unless you pay them. They have a monthly 'maintenance' fee for your inside wiring, and charge T&M for running new wire. If you wanted to get cable in an old house that didn't have wiring, or wanted it in rooms that don't have wiring, that won't be part of the standard install. Directv goes sort of 'above and beyond' compared to them, at least at present.
Man ... I guess things have really changed since we left cable back in '95.

For back in the mid to late '80s when we first had analog cable installed ("Continental Cable" it was called back then.) The well ... "installers" ran cable and installed cable boxes to all required rooms as part of the standard installation.

I emphasized "installers" and not "techs," since back then they were really separate. As the ones doing CATV installations were like independent hires with their own private pickup trucks and vans and own tools.

The techs. in the official CC vans would come out most only for service calls and not do installations.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo
Your slightly off ....
Repair work has the Maintenance fee (for inside wiring).
ANYtime your Adding a line or jk it's an INSTALL ...

For the most part, AT&T works off of a Flat Rate fee for installs, so if you want a jack, its X amount of money weather it is next to the NI or on the other side of the house thru the crawl and in the upstair bedroom.

Businesses are T&M ....

Your slightly off ....
Repair work has the Maintenance fee (for inside wiring).
ANYtime your Adding a line or jk it's an INSTALL ...

For the most part, AT&T works off of a Flat Rate fee for installs, so if you want a jack, its X amount of money weather it is next to the NI or on the other side of the house thru the crawl and in the upstair bedroom.

Businesses are T&M ....

Mediacom is T&M if you want to add any inside wiring in your home, and won't touch it if you don't have their maintenance plan (I assume that like Directv's maintenance plan you have to get it for a year or whatever so people can't just sign up, get a repair, then drop it) I don't know what Comcast etc. policy is - it might be different where you live too I suppose.

Mediacom is T&M if you want to add any inside wiring in your home, and won't touch it if you don't have their maintenance plan (I assume that like Directv's maintenance plan you have to get it for a year or whatever so people can't just sign up, get a repair, then drop it) I don't know what Comcast etc. policy is - it might be different where you live too I suppose.
Actually, I think its only for a month.... (AT&T)

As for D*, I didn't have it and they added it for me for like $7.99 when I needed a recvr shipped out vs the $49 service call, I guess.
They told me to call back and cancel next month. ;)

Thank you guys for all your feedback. Let me tell you about my nightmare now. They sent me an hr44 so I got online and said this wasn't any upgrade. They then apologized and scheduled a tech to come out and replaced my hr44 with..... an hs17. So now I no longer have ota because my am21 isn't compatible and to make things worse the crappy menu/ software upgrade will no longer connect to me WiFi . I have been a dtv customer for 20 years and am seriously considering looking into Dish.

Thank you guys for all your feedback. Let me tell you about my nightmare now. They sent me an hr44 so I got online and said this wasn't any upgrade. They then apologized and scheduled a tech to come out and replaced my hr44 with..... an hs17. So now I no longer have ota because my am21 isn't compatible and to make things worse the crappy menu/ software upgrade will no longer connect to me WiFi . I have been a dtv customer for 20 years and am seriously considering looking into Dish.
WHY did you not accept the HR44 ?
Unless your going 4K, you should have taken it .....
Have you not heard all of use say, stay away from the HS17, unless of course your New and obviously have no other recvrs.

Well I'm am idiot? I think the thing that made me the most upset was the tech had to look at his phone to figure out what to do next. I went online with dtv tonight and bitched about the ota since I bought the am21 from dtv and they promised to send out a "Senior tech" for me. So we will see.

Again thank you everyone here!

Well I'm am idiot? I think the thing that made me the most upset was the tech had to look at his phone to figure out what to do next. I went online with dtv tonight and bitched about the ota since I bought the am21 from dtv and they promised to send out a "Senior tech" for me. So we will see.

Again thank you everyone here!

Your not an Idiot, you just didn't know any better.
Seeing you JUST got the HS17, see if they will change you back to another HR44 or a HR54.
The 54 would allow you to get into the 4K side of things if you also use a c61k client.
Tell them that you OTA locals are very important to you, they will say that they offer the Locals on Sat, remind them that you lose your Locals when the weather gets bad so you need your OTA.

How many TV's/recvrs are you dealing with ?
Did you have to give up any addl. recvr outside of the HR44 when they did the swap ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)