Upgraded to one Hopper3, Now I need an EHD recommendation.

Thanks all for your replies....
I asked because after a recent power outage our Seagate EHD did not show up in the DVR sources. We lost hundreds of programs...
Ugh. That's a drag. After going through the effort to preserve these off the Hopper, only to have them disappear.

Thanks all for your replies....
I asked because after a recent power outage our Seagate EHD did not show up in the DVR sources. We lost hundreds of programs.

It sounds like the heads are not un-parking. So this is probably a hardware issue and not due to a Dish/Hopper problem. But it made me think — Why keep an EHD running if we aren’t either transferring programs to it or playing programs from it? After I install the next EHD we will keep it powered down unless we are actually using it.
This is one reason that I try to avoid large EHDs, if you suffer a catastrophy you loose everything.

I try to use 250GB drives but they are getting more scarce all the time.

Use hardware RAID 1 arrays. I have three (plus a few singles). If really "cautious" buy 1 or 2 extra HDDs, for when there's a failure. And turn the darned things OFF when not in use. I go weeks, for some, months, without accessing certain EHDs.

I am slowly trying to organize my EHDs. Movies on this one, British stuff on another (one day). My goal is to retire and write a Mint Linux program to print a list of what's on the drive. I dearly wish Dish would allow naming EHDs. Should be simple.

Reactions: toddjb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)