Upgrading a Relative to HD

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I have a few technical and non-technical questions about upgrading a relative's Dish Network setup from SD to HD. I helped her purchase a 50" HDTV recently and assembled a matching TV stand. I used to know quite a bit about the various setups, configurations and programming options when I had Dish, but it's amazing how quickly you forget these things when you haven't had the service in 3 1/2 years.

Anyway, here are all the facts in a nutshell:

- She is in the Baltimore DMA and, until recently, had one (1) SD TV connected to a DP311 receiver via a Dish 500/DPP Twin. She now has a HDTV connected to that same DP311.

- Needless to say, she receives SD national channels and SD Batimore locals from 110/119. I noticed she had only one (1) RG-6 coming down from the DPP-Twin LNBF which is all she really needed for the 311...however, next week I am bringing along one of my old VIP622s that has been sitting in a closet the past 3 1/2 years (OK, I sometime watch some old VOOM recordings, but it's mainly just gathering dust).

- She doesn't watch a lot of TV (probably has the Top 100/120 package plus locals) but she has been with Dish for 11-years...so I am wanting to make this as painless and inexpensive as possible. Can I assume since she will only have one receiver on her account (the replacement 622) there will no additional fees (beyond the $6 DVR fee). In other words, will she have to pay a Duo-DVR receiver fee even though she only owns one (1) TV and one (1) receiver in her house?

- She had an old motorized Channel Master VHF/UHF antenna on the roof that had not been used in 15+ years. The motor controller was missing (and probably no longer worked), but the antenna still functioned perfectly regardless of old RG-59 wiring...expecially since she's only 17 miles from the Baltimore towers. I connected the OTA antenna to her HDTV and she picks-up all the Baltimore HD locals, and almost all of the Washington DC locals too (although they are in the opposite direction the antenna is pointed). Anyway, does she still need to subscribe to her locals in order to receive guide data, or did Dish do away with this nickel & dime fee?

- The EKB Channel Chart disappeared, but I noticed Digi is maintaining "The List" here at SatGuys. While some of the National HD channels are on the 110/119 sats, the Baltimore HD locals appear to be on 61.5. Offhand, I would have thought Baltimore would have been moved over to the Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7 and the 77 satellites). Anyway, I have two Dish 500s and two DPP-34 switches sitting around the house. I could install a side 61.5 dish, but my initial impression is that I will have a major tree issue...in which the Eastern Arc is useless. Regardless, what satellites does she need to hit for HD in the Baltimore DMA? To be honest, she receives her locals via OTA...and she really wouldn't noticed if some HD channels are missing since 70% of her viewing is the broadcast networks.

- I don't feel like drilling another hole to run a 2nd line for the dual-tuner 622. I do have a half-dozen DPP-Separators...can't I just use them on each end instead without running a second line into the house? Also, if I do install a 61.5 Dish/500...I will need to install a DPP-34 switch, correct?

- What is the minimum programming package she would have to subscribe to in order to active my old 622 on her account? In other words...does free HD for life mean that Dish got rid of TurboHD and all the old HD package? Will she have to pay a separate "HD" change for the HD channels? As the pictures show, I was up on the roof and I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the work. Perhaps I'll just pay the $15 service call and get Dish Network out here to install a VIP612 if they want to charge for anything extra for her VIP622 (Duo-DVR fee?). Can I assume the first receive is still free regardless of type?

Thanks in advance....your comments are greatly appreciated! :hatsoff:

Okay, I'll try my best to answer some of these questions.:)
First off, her dish would need to be upgraded to a 1000.4 since Baltimore HD locals are on Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7, and 77) I'm sure Dish wouldn't mind doing it for free since she has an old setup to begin with. Therefore, she would no longer be using 110 or 119. Since she'll just have the 622, she'll only pay the $6 DVR fee. There are NO additional receiver fees for this setup. All America Top packages are eligible for free HD for life, but since you said she mostly just watches the broadcast networks, perhaps you can consider the smaller DISH America packages where HD is already included at no extra charge. Go to dish.com for more info on the packages.

1) If it's just the 622 on the account, she will only have to pay the $6 DVR fee. No additional receiver fees until you add more than one receiver

2) Everyone should have locals (if they don't have them, they will be added on with any change to the account). We provide OTA guide data for some channels, but not all (there's a few threads on this)

3) Baltimore HD locals are only on 61.5, and having a mixed arc setup (119/110/61.5) will cause you to be missing channels since all the HD programming is moving to sat 72.7. I'd recommend getting a full Eastern arc setup

4) DPP separators only work with other DPP equipment. There's no DPP-34 switch, but there is a DP34, DPP44, and DPP33 (the DPP33 does not work with DPP LNB's). If you get the EA setup, you can use just the one line and a separator

5) Take a look at dish.com, we offer Dish America (HD only package), but to get the HD For Life, you would need an AT120 equivalent or higher. Without HD free for life, HD programming costs $10/month

If that receiver has been collecting dust for 3+ years it will require a purple card upgrade.I bought a 622 off of ebay for my wife last christmas and it came with an internal old chip.Rather than send me a new replacement card they did the receiver swap.That was a pitb but still managed to get it all going before christmas day.If the 622 doesn't have the purple card I would get dish to take care of that asap.

As MattG recommends you should try and get the eastern arc installed.

Thanks for all the great replies! I was unaware of the purple card requirement...good information to know! After looking at some photos and google maps, I feel confident there is little chance of hitting the 61.5 due to trees...that includes the Eastern Arc. Offhand, it looks like we're going to activate the 622 on 110/119/OTA and she will receive whatever HD channels she receivers.

I'll call Dish Network tonight about the purple encryption card. Perhaps I'll even have them come out and attempt the Eastern Arc, but I hate wasting anyones valuable time. Does anyone know how long it will take to order a purple card? I plan to be back there on Tuesday and would like to upgrade the receiver.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how long it will take to order a purple card? I plan to be back there on Tuesday and would like to upgrade the receiver.

It should take no more than 2 days to receive it by mail.They can overnight it but that is expensive.It would be about the same if they want to rma the receiver.If an installer comes out they might be able to swap the 622 for a 722.

We ship equipment (usually) UPS second day air, but we do say it takes 3-5 business days to get there even though it's normally 2 business days. If I were to ship one now, with the weekend, you would probably see it on Monday

I would suggest pming Matt if the 622 doesn't have the purple card,the reason I say that is because I tried to get the wife's 622 activated not knowing it required a new card.No one on the phone obviously didn't know either.Called multiple times and they kept saying its activated.Finally after the 3rd call and the loss of a few more hairs on my head they said they would rma another 622.It came with a purple card had it up and running in 15mins.

Ugh! I called Dish Network earlier and spoke to someone is Dish Philippines...very hard to understand him. Anyway, I provided him one of my 622 R00 numbers and he researched the fact I own this receiver and would transfer ownership over to my mother before answering the "purple" card question. He then said that I just need call into Dish Network to activate the 622 receiver when I'm ready since it has a build-in smartcard. I asked the question three times, in three different ways, and he consistently answered that I can activate this 622 "as is" without another encryption card.

OK, since I wasn't having a warm and fuzzy feeling...I placed a call into Tech Support using and used my old account number. My experience was only somewhat better than my call into Dish Philippines. In a nutshell, I was told (again, three times) that I did not need a "purple card" since the 622 had an internal "D3" smartcard. Sounds fine, but it goes against everything I am being told in this thread. I just don't feel like making a 200-mile round-trip for nothing.

Anyway, I further explained that she has a Dish 500 (110/119) and that Eastern Arc would be a problem due to trees. I was told that her account was already on Western Arc (not quite true) and that I didn't any additional equipment. Hmmm. Since she now receives her locals with a OTA antenna, I supposed Western Arc is an option...except, I get the feeling there is no way a Dish Network technician is going to install a Western Arc dish (1000.2?) in her neck of the woods ourside of Baltimore MD.

OK, after tossing out the Western Arc idea (especially after discovering my mother in-law termined her DPP some months ago) I was told that she could sign-up for Free HD for Life (at no cost) - just sign-up for it online and enroll in paperless billing. OK, great idea, but we're talking about an old lady who doesn't have Internet much like a Dish online account. So HD will apparently cost an additional $10 per months for a lot of HD she won't be able to receive. At this point I am just wanting to activate the 622 but I am unsure whether I need Dish Network to mail a "purple" card or if Dish Network will require her to pay an additional $10 a month HD fee (beyond the $6 DVR fee) when she is not equipped to pick-up many of the HD channels...just receive the local via OTA antenna.

I think I'll send a PM to Matt. :)

RiffJIm

Check the S# on the system info screen. Easiest way to know if its new N3 card or older N2 card

If it starts S00 is old card
S19 is new card

I had same issue when I activated a 322 for my dad. Had a S00 card and Dish India said "oh yes it work fine". Took 3 calls to get someone to see that it WOULDNT work without the new card ;)

RiffJIm

Check the S# on the system info screen. Easiest way to know if its new N3 card or older N2 card

If it starts S00 is old card
S19 is new card

I had same issue when I activated a 322 for my dad. Had a S00 card and Dish India said "oh yes it work fine". Took 3 calls to get someone to see that it WOULDNT work without the new card ;)

The 622 starts with S19 so this sounds like good news! :) I take back everything I said about you and the Twins! ;)

Thanks!!!

Good advice Iceberg.RiffJIm it sounds like you will be in good shape.I still recommend contacting one of the dirt members here over calling or chat it has been my experience to have much better service that way.

OK you say the dish will have problems w/ trees for 61.5 is there a way to move it to new location to get clear shot of 61.5 & 72.7? That is all you really ave to have for her right now and a dish 500 will do those.

OK you say the dish will have problems w/ trees for 61.5 is there a way to move it to new location to get clear shot of 61.5 & 72.7? That is all you really ave to have for her right now and a dish 500 will do those.

She has clear line of sight to the Western Arc, but her roof is engulfed by two huge 60-year old oak trees when looking toward the Eastern Arc. The only two possible options are to cut down a tree (not going to happen) or bury a cable around 150 ft. and pole mount an EA on the very back of her property - just not practical.

I just heard back from Matt....I'm going to keep Mommy Drearest's 110/119 intact and create an online account and enroll her in paperless billing/autopay (HD free for life)...just have notices sent to my wife's email account. She may be missing a few HD channels here and there (from 129), but she receives Baltimore/Washington locals via OTA so she will be fine.

Finally, since she currently has only one RG-6 running into her home for her DP311 receiver (Dish 500/DPP Twin) I just want to verify that I can install a diplexor inside the home and run it to Satellite In 1 and 2 on the 622? If not, I'll run two fresh coax from the DPP Twin to the 622, and replace the old RG-59 from her OTA antenna...however, the existing cables work fine (excellent signal levels) and I don't feel like working on the roof in 95 degree heat.

Thanks!

I just heard back from Matt....I'm going to keep Mommy Drearest's 110/119 intact and create an online account and enroll her in paperless billing/autopay (HD free for life)...just have notices sent to my wife's email account. She may be missing a few HD channels here and there (from 129), but she receives Baltimore/Washington locals via OTA so she will be fine.
most HD on Western Arc is on 129

Finally, since she currently has only one RG-6 running into her home for her DP311 receiver (Dish 500/DPP Twin) I just want to verify that I can install a diplexor inside the home and run it to Satellite In 1 and 2 on the 622? If not, I'll run two fresh coax from the DPP Twin to the 622, and replace the old RG-59 from her OTA antenna...however, the existing cables work fine (excellent signal levels) and I don't feel like working on the roof in 95 degree heat.

Thanks!

If the LNB is TRULY a DishProPlus for 110/119 (or a new Dish 1000.2 dish) then yes all you need to do is plug the separator in and hook to both inputs
If its anything else you would need two lines

most HD on Western Arc is on 129
Hmmm. I viewed on "The List" and it looked like there was a lot of HD on 110/119, with all the HD locals on 129 and duplicates HD channels that were also on 110/119. I'm not sure how up-to-date the list may be. Regardless, I'm going with 110/119 and it should be fine since 70% of the stuff she watches is local OTA.

If the LNB is TRULY a DishProPlus for 110/119 (or a new Dish 1000.2 dish) then yes all you need to do is plug the separator in and hook to both inputs
If its anything else you would need two lines
Snapped a photo...says DPP Twin.

IMAG0081.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts