Upgrading From 811?

BobFlyer

Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
I currently have an 811 receiver and a 311 receiver. I called Dish to ask about upgrading to the newer line of receivers. I have been a long time customer >3 years+-. I was looking for the newer receiver for OTA HD, similiar to the 811 functions. I was told that if I went to the newer series vipxxx, I would have to have a new dish installed. I currently have the superdish and dish package for 200 channels plus locals. No hd, or other options.

The 811 I currently have has become unstable, works sometime and locks up. I switched the 311 to the room where the 811 is installed to check cables/switch/connections. 311 is rock solid. Thus it appears the 811 is faulty. Thus the consideration of upgrading.

I was told that I would have to pay for the new receiver, plus a install fee for the newer dish. Can I not just continue with the current superdish? I receive sat 119/110/105 for my current programming, which I do not need to change.

What is the best approach in terms of newer equipment, I know the newer is supporting Mpeg-4 vs the 811 Mpeg-2.

Suggestions on upgrade path, vs costs appreciated.

Dish ran so many different $ figures that I lost track of what they were trying to sell me.

Confused at the offerings...Verbal via the CSA were awful.

Any comments appreciated and thanks in advance.

BobFlyer

Depending upon how you feel about doing the work of installing the stuff, I would seriously consider just buying the required components and installing yourself.

I bought a VIP211 to replace my 811, and a Dish 1000.

Dropping the 211 in place of the 811 is trivial, just needs a call to TECH SUPPORT (not CSR!) to get it activated, replacing the 811.

Of course, the 1000 is a piece of junk, so I just used the LNBs from it and set up a Dish 500 and a 29" standalone dish for 129.

The hardest part was that their stupid computer system wouldn't allow the 211 activation because it didn't see that appropriate dishes were installed. Getting a Dish 1000 listed seemed like hard work (for the tech support person, not for me).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)