Upgrading from 921 to 622 question....

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
My 622 looks like it is finally coming 2/27. I will be moving my 921 out of my primary viewing room, putting the 622 in its' place, and moving my 921 to my basement where a 4900 sits (which will be returned for the $25 credit). I have 2 SW64s (with all the requisite splitters that were profesionally installed) feeding my current setup which has the 921, a 510, 2 508s, and the 4900. I'm currently looking at 110/119/61.5 (New York Locals are on 61.5 as I am in NJ and can't see 129)

Since I already have the two lines running to my 921, it is just a matter of putting those cables into Sat1 and Sat2, correct? I have a few free ports on my 2nd SW64, so I just have to plug in a coax into the sat2 input on my 921 from the switch.

I also have a female DVI-male HDMI adapter coming Monday as I have a 12 ft. male-male DVI cable to my TV (no HDMI port on the TV, just the DVI input).

I'm all set right? The 622 doesn't have any issue with legacy switches and LNBs?

No I am running another line from my SW64 to it. I just have to make sure it is on the same switch as the one going there now.............

Your 921 set up,two lines from legacy SW64 switch will work exactly the same as with a 622 so you should be good to go. I have the exact same set up as well as others on this Forum and I don't anticipate or have I heard of any problems.

Bruce

Are you paying the $299 instead of waiting for the rebate? I called to ask if I can keep the 921 (which I paid $549) when I upgrade to the 622 and they didn't know. Just wondering...

suerapp said:
Are you paying the $299 instead of waiting for the rebate? I called to ask if I can keep the 921 (which I paid $549) when I upgrade to the 622 and they didn't know. Just wondering...

If you upgrade to the 622 with the rebate offer you have to return your 921 receiver.

If you want to keep the 921, the upgrade cost is 299.00.

Sam

pdxsam said:
If you upgrade to the 622 with the rebate offer you have to return your 921 receiver.

If you want to keep the 921, the upgrade cost is 299.00.

Sam

Which is a complete load of crap. Giving up a POS that never worked for over $500 (and in many cases, double that) just for the priviledge of watching their product? Something tells me that support for the 921, which up until now has been terrible at best, will disappear all-together. Time to start looking at other options....

Bryan

Might as well give it back, the guide doesn't work now, it constantly is in the wrong aspect and has to be rebooted and aggravates the hell out of me-

Last Ride said:
Which is a complete load of crap. Giving up a POS that never worked for over $500 (and in many cases, double that) just for the priviledge of watching their product? ...
I am sure that stating your opinion so directly will be a valuable to those of trying to learn.:rolleyes:

SaltiDawg said:
I am sure that stating your opinion so directly will be a valuable to those of trying to learn.:rolleyes:

I'm simply stating what I have learned from my expereince with the horrible quality of the 921. If you don't believe me, that's fine by me, but my complaints are in no way isolated or uncommon when speaking of the 921. Having a product as obviously flawed as the 921 is/was while telling those of us that bought it, "Well, for $99 more you can upgrade to the 622", to me, is bad business. As I stated before, most of us spent AT LEAST $500, and in many cases much more to own the "flagship" 921. I bougth mine last year before I really educated myself on the product (my mistake). Reliability since then has been bad at best.

My point is, why should customers who bought a company's highest-end equipment and experienced such difficulty have to pay extra to "upgrade" to a machine that does essentially what the original was supposed to do in the first place? What's more, what if the 622 ends up being as problematic as the 921? I sincerely hope it's not, but you never know. This company obviously has released a problematic product before. Caveat Emptor....

Bryan

suerapp said:
Might as well give it back, the guide doesn't work now, it constantly is in the wrong aspect and has to be rebooted and aggravates the hell out of me-

Believe it or not, the 921 is still selling on EBay for the mid $200 range.

My first thought was to go ahead and sell it, but since I use EBay occasionally I think I will wait for the Dish April Fools Day promotion, take the $200 rebate, and preserve my 100% positive feedback.

suerapp said:

I did a three way deal......

I'm getting the 622, moving the 921 to my basement where a 4900 is now, and then retiring the 4900 back to E* for a $25 credit.....

I now have 5 receivers on my account, all of them PVRs. And YES, I have been hit by the audit police, but only once. I read them all my system info screens and they went away.....

I expect there will be other deals down the road, to retire 921s, 942s and other older HD receivers- at least from HD service. Right now, MPEG-4 STBs are in short supply. That will loosen up. In about a year, when they are expected to move all HD to MPEG-4, there will have to be some major incentive to folks still with the old gear and the old HD packs. For those that can wait that long.

My upgrade went fine. The 622 swapped right in to the spot that my 921 was in. Actually, since it is so much smaller than the 921 there is about 6 inches of airflow above it.

I haven't hooked up the 921 in my basement yet, I plan on doing thatthis weekend.

The 622 has worked great. It rebooted twice the first night, but has been well behaved since (although I am not messing around with settings anymore like I was... Changing the output to 1080i triggered a reboot as did changing the aspect ratio).

The biggest thing I had to get used to is the NBR. I set about 2 dozen timers, including a bunch I had set to "All" via a Dishpass. Mistake. I had Deal or No Deal wiping out a bunch of other timers since it was recording all the instances on WNBC HD, WNBC SD, KNBC (Distant net), and CNBC's reruns. Went back and only did it to the HD feed.

For the first few days I recommend manually checking your "Daily Schedule" to make sure it is not bumping shows you want to record due other shows recording that are less important to you.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)