Upgrading to 921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ftracy3

Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
Long Beach, CA
I want to upgrade to 921 and am trying to figure out what kind of equip i have currently. After looking on the roof and at several diagrams I believe have a dish 500 with 2 legacy LNBF's (two LNBF's with a black and white wire from each (total four wires) connected to the antenna.

At the bottom of the atenna/dish stand two single black cables exiting to their respective sides of the house for their respective tuners. (one line per tuner). I don't see any external switcher as in all the diagrams I've looked at where this setup goes to more than one tuner, just four wires going into the top of the dish (two from each LNBF). and two wires coming out the bottom to the receivers.

My checkswitch info says SW21
Input 1 1 2 2

119 119 110 110

I intend to replace the dish pvr 508 in one room with the 921. What do I need to do?

I'm not very techinical and don't even know what LNBF stands for..:)

Sounds like you've nailed it.

You don't say what your other receiver is. If a 3-digit model, then the quickest easiest solution is to replace the 2 Legacy Dual LNBFs with a DishPro Quad. The only Legacy receiver I can think of that would make you retire a 508 to keep it is a DishPlayer.

If you think there's any chance you're going to need a third bird (like a wing for CBS-HD, and maybe other HD coming down the road), then replace the old stuff with a DishPro Twin, and connect it to a DP34.

Either of these solutions also allows you to keep the 508.

P.S. LNBF = Low Noise Block amplifier (and downconverter) with Feedhorn

Thanks,

I intend to move the 501 into the other room and disconnect what's in there now--so I'll have a 921 and a 501. And yes I would like to maintain upgradiblity for future HD expansion.

Do DISH Net installers do this type of upgrade to the outside hardware for existing customers? I thought they make most of their money from DISH directly for getting people into the system on the intial install. I'm not very techinical and wouldn't have a clue about changing the LNBF's.-

This isn't really that technical. If you hook up your own stereo equipment, you'll be OK - just don't bump the dish too hard.

Yes, mostly we do new installs and E* pays us, but if you don't think you want to do this, find a GOOD local retailer, and ask what they would charge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)