Upgrading to HD.....couple questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
yeah he just put the dish up there, barely moved it and locked the dish to the mast. I was like "damn I know I've been lucky aiming a FTA dish but no way he was that lucky to be that close right away.

The installer contractor was a company called "Digital Media Group" based in the north metro here in Minneapolis. Like I say he did a great job and I was very impressed. I know the installer was happy as heck when the cables were there and all he had to do was install the dish outside. Heck I put my 6 foot stepladder there for him so he didnt need to get his big ladder out (and bring it through the house...no way he could come around the house as we have about 3 feet of snow). We lucked out with the cabling as there was about 6 feet of excess in my drop ceiling in the basement so we didn't need to run new line from the dish to the SWM.

I told him I'd do the cleanup outside (things like ziptying the cables to the others that come off the roof and bringing in the old stuff/dish/etc) later.

oh also forgot to mention the SWM setup is different than what folks have said. They mention the power inserter going between the splitter and the receiver.

This setup the power pack goes between the LNB and the switch. Kinda like a amplified antenna setup. The input of the power came from the LNB and we used a jumper to the splitter.

LNB-------------------power pack-----------splitter------receivers

If you look at my previous post regarding this, you CAN do it either way & it'll work.
BUT, if you have UPS(s) on your receivers, & you do NOT put the SWM PS on a UPS as well, then you will STILL loose your signal if the power goes out. (The DVR(s) will continue to record, but the recording will have nothing on it, due to the signal loss) ;) ;)

I thought you DID have UPS(s) on your receiver(s), but if not, then it doesn't matter either way...

Are the R22's "good enough" for HD viewing? Here is my Pop's setup - SD DVR (R22-200), 2 SD boxes, MAS ULTRA Spanish package. Off contract since middle of November, placing SD box w/HDTV from Garage to Master Bedroom. Den & Living Room stay the same. Wanna upgrade to HD in Master Bedroom and HD in Living Room and activate Den R22 for HD.

Last edited:
what dishrich said. I had a service call this morning for a SWM job that either the customer moved the DVR from the bedroom to the living room or the tech crossed the wires on the splitter. (it was 1 hd/dvr and 1 hd/receiver) I figure the customer moved the dvr and then moved the 21v inverter with it. It basically burnt up the reg IRD in the process.

BTW- I have at least 3 WB6x8's on my van right now. We commonly put those in here instead of SWM. If I was you though I would request a SWM setup. Perhaps the connected home for multi-room viewing...that way they would have to use SWM

That is what the contract installers use in the St Louis area (both sides of the river). I had HR24, R16 & Int'l Dish installed and still got the WB6X8. Glad Ice got what he wanted. I got a good deal on Ebay for a SWM8 & PI-28 but of course wish it was free. Interesting enuff, when DTV Company installers showed up initially (but I had cancelled a few mins earlier due to heavy rain and getting dark), they said they were going to use the SWM8. However, a few days later, my contract installer said he did not even have any SWM8s on his truck. :( Needed a SWM8 to avoid using both coaxes to 2 HR24s. (At least I got the HR24 :D).

Are the R22's "good enough" for HD viewing?

the R22 is from previous posts a HR21 with the option to be on a SD only account. While its no HR24 it seems to work really well for me so far. Also I use the AM21 for OTA channels...but now its just for the stations I dont get on D* in HD that are important ;)

Glad Ice got what he wanted.

I think it being -3 out and there being 2 good wires there might have convinced him to use the SWM...funny also as all he had on the truck was a SWM setups...he had 3 or 4 SL3's and 2 SL5's....couldnt get him to put one of them on as his next job was a SL3 to SL5 swap ;)

oh also forgot to mention the SWM setup is different than what folks have said. They mention the power inserter going between the splitter and the receiver.

This setup the power pack goes between the LNB and the switch. Kinda like a amplified antenna setup. The input of the power came from the LNB and we used a jumper to the splitter.

LNB-------------------power pack-----------splitter------receivers
Yeah that is how our diagrams we get from DTV tells us to hook them up but it works either way. I think it makes more sense to have the inserter near the ird or maybe just lazy...

The distance between the IRD/SWM switch/inserter is all of 3 feet ;)
The 2 R22's are in the entertainment center by the HDTV and the cable comes up through the floor right there. So its
cable----power pack---18" cable (tops)--SWM splitter---2 foot and 3 foot cables going to the 2 R22's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts