Upgrading to hd - need help with OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

abarsami

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I am going to purchase the hughes htl-hd receiver but have a question regarding OTA.

When I entered zip code of 91302. I'm in Calabasas, CA.
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
I am 32 miles away from towers. It says I need a medium directional antenna.

I get digital and analog channels. Digital will produce a better signal right?

I heard Channel Master 4228 is a good antenna. But it's only UHF. So I can only pickup digital signals.

Is this antenna better than winegard?

Anyone know of good install companies that carry this antenna or similar that can install it in my area? Around Los angeles, san fernando valley?

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! We're glad you're here! :)

You can get an OTA antenna straight from Directv. Did you order your HD receiver from them? I highly recommend the HTL-HD. The OTA tuners, when I had a house with no building obstructions, with the Winegard antenna, was able to pick up stations, though faint, 90 miles away.

I'm only 10 miles from the towers and if it weren't for our townhouse obstructing my view of the towers I could pick up every station we have in HD.

if u havent bought the reciever yet i would suggest that u allow d to upgrade you to hd and for an extra they will also install a ota antenna which will allow u to get those digital stations.oh and yes digital is much better .If your local station broadcasts in hd the ota antenna will pick them up

I called directv but they couldn't guarantee the htl-hd. They said I prob. would get a samsung. That's why I want to get the htl-hd from circuit city. But need ota installers/retailers of winegard or channel master in my area. I'm fairly close to los angeles.

Based on this
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
channel master/winegard uhf does a good job. I only need below channel 30 anyway.

Channel master 4248 and 4228 seem like they do a good job.

Directv uses Winegard DS-2000 which is ok but I think the channel masters are better.

The Winegard antenna will do just fine. You can mount that on the same mast as the dish is on.

I would get it from directv but no htl-hd from them. So, I'm not sure exactly what to do?

Try this: Call them again and tell them that they only way you will buy one is if it's the HTL-HD.

If you like, go to www.valueelectronics.com and buy it through them. You get a 10% discount if you mention that you are a Satelliteguys.us member. You can get the HTL-HD that way, and an OTA antenna.

I already tried that but they said they don't guarantee it. www.valueelectronics.com seems good. I can't see the htl-hd on the site though. Also they don't seem to carry good OTA antennas.

I'll try calling them tomorrow. Maybe they have more OTA antennas then listed on their site.

Don't forget to mention that you're a Satelliteguys member!! VE should take care of you. I haven't gotten the chance to use them yet but the people that have on here have posted good things about them. VE also frequents this forum too.

i use the powered megawave here in Boston (only about 8 miles from the stations) - it sits on top of the tv or a book case and gets perfect reception for all HD channels in the area. www.megawave.com. Only downside is I get all channels with it sitting one way, but to get Fox HD i have to move it about 4 inches to the right and turn it a little bit. Small price to pay for perfect picture and sound! i tried running it through the DirecTV HD box, but didn't work as well as plugging it directly into the TV (my tv has HD built in).

I just ordered the Zenith Silver Sensor yesterday and I will tell you Value Electronics does take care of their customers. I got an e-mail immediately with my tracking number and order confirmation. I also got a personal e-mail from Robert saying he would make sure that I will get the Satelliteguys discount that we are all entitled to.

They have other OTA antennas but whatever you decide to get I would highly recommend Value Electronics.

I called valueelectronics. He said they don't offer the hughes htl-hd receiver any more. They offer the rca dtc210. I hope the rca can pick up OTA as good as the Hughes.

Also asked him about the OTA antennas. He said the Winegard SquareShooter was good. I told him I am leaning toward the Channel Master 4228 8-bay antenna - he said that was good also. I also mentioned the Winegard PR-8800 8-bay antenna.

But he told me to call Monday and he'll have a price for me and I can then talk to a technician who I can ask about the antennas.

These are the channels I'm interested in.

Is the 5.1, 11.1, etc... the channel numbers on directv. So when I am surfing the channels I'll see these?

Winegard PR-8800 & Channel Master 4228 will be able to pick these up no problem right since their uhf antennas.

The Winegard is very strong for channels under 20. So, I assume that will work the best.

* red - uhf KTLA-DT 5.1 WB LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.3 31
* red - uhf KTTV-DT 11.1 FOX LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.4 65
* red - uhf KCAL-DT 9.1 IND LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.2 43
* red - uhf KCBS-DT 2.1 CBS LOS ANGELES CA 65° 32.1 60
* red - uhf KNBC-DT 4.1 NBC LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.4 36
* red - uhf KCET-DT 28.1 PBS LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.5 59
* red - uhf KCOP-DT 13.1 UPN LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.2 66
* red - uhf KABC-DT 7.1 ABC LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.3 53

abarsami said:
These are the channels I'm interested in.

Is the 5.1, 11.1, etc... the channel numbers on directv. So when I am surfing the channels I'll see these?

Winegard PR-8800 & Channel Master 4228 will be able to pick these up no problem right since their uhf antennas.

The Winegard is very strong for channels under 20. So, I assume that will work the best.

Are those the actual channel the broadcasts are on most Digital channels are UHF most of those listed are VHF?

kaputnik said:
i use the powered megawave here in Boston (only about 8 miles from the stations)...
SO like what is the range on that guy??
8 miles is great, I mean you could prob. get those channels with a roll of tin foil, but do they say what the range is?

I'm looking for a antenna for my OTA stuff but I'm mostly purple for all the OTA HD (its coming out of Chicago).

boba said:
Are those the actual channel the broadcasts are on most Digital channels are UHF most of those listed are VHF?

The one's I listed are uhf digital not vhf.

I got the info. from antennaweb

Here is a complete list of vhf and uhf. Since I see both in the list.

red - uhf KTBN 40 TBN SANTA ANA CA 66° 32.5 40
* red - uhf KTBN-DT 23 TBN SANTA ANA CA Testing 66° 32.5 23
red - vhf KTLA 5 WB LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.3 5
red - uhf KVEA 52 TEL CORONA CA 68° 32.4 52
red - uhf KPXN 30 PAX SAN BERNARDINO CA 73° 52.9 30
red - uhf KRCA 62 IND RIVERSIDE CA 67° 32.4 62
* red - uhf KRCA-DT 62.1 IND RIVERSIDE CA 67° 32.4 68
red - uhf KXLA 44 IND RANCHO PALOS VERDES CA 66° 32.3 44
* red - uhf KXLA-DT 44.1 IND RANCHO PALOS VERDES CA 66° 32.3 51
* red - uhf KOCE-DT 50.1 PBS HUNTINGTON BEACH CA 66° 32.3 48
red - uhf KDOC 56 IND ANAHEIM CA 66° 32.3 56
* red - uhf KDOC-DT 32.1 IND ANAHEIM CA 66° 32.3 32
red - vhf KTTV 11 FOX LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.4 11
red - uhf KMEX 34 UNI LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.3 34
* red - uhf KMEX-DT 34.1 UNI LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.3 35
red - vhf KCBS 2 CBS LOS ANGELES CA 65° 32.1 2
red - vhf KNBC 4 NBC LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.4 4
* red - uhf KJLA-DT 57.1 IND VENTURA CA 66° 32.3 49
red - uhf KLCS 58 PBS LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.5 58
red - uhf KCET 28 PBS LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.5 28
red - vhf KCOP 13 UPN LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.2 13
red - uhf KFTR 46 TFA LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.3 46
red - vhf KABC 7 ABC LOS ANGELES CA 66° 32.3 7
red - uhf KAZA 54 AZA AVALON CA 66° 32.3 54
* red - uhf KAZA-DT 54.1 AZA AVALON CA 66° 32.3 54

OTA antenna choices....

Has anyone tried the ChannelMaster 3000a? I'm lucky enough to be able to see the towers from my driveway here in New Orleans. I don't have my hd receiver yet, but I want to get the antenna put up first. The reason that I ask is that I've seen a few of them in my neighborhood (along with some Winegard square shooters and ChannelMaster 3010's too) I just want a roof-line that's as clean as possible and don't really want to fool around with rotors... :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)