upgrading to HD tv but not HD receiver..Q's

ganja_25

Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
New Mexico
I currently have dish with a dvr hooked up to a flat screen tube. Looking to upgrade to a samsung 46a650. I have top 100 plus local channels capable of HD. I know with a new HD receiver and HDMI I will get true HD viewing. However, if I do not upgrade the dish reciever and use the coax hookup what is the quality I will be looking at?? Will the locals be in HD? Thanks..

Welcome to SatelliteGuys from a fellow New Mexican...:) If that TV doesn't have a digital tuner you could get one of the converter boxes if you are close enough to Albuquerque for a signal...The SD will not look the best on the set you are looking at, with the upgrade you would be happier with the PQ.

Coax from the Dish receiver or from an antenna to get OTA HD?

From the Dish receiver it will look like crap. You will just be making a bad picture really big :)

If you are getting OTA HD, then those will look fine.

You really should bite the bullet and get a 722 DVR.

with your current receiver, you will be dissapointed with the SD picture you will get from Dish on your new TV and wonder why you spent the $. your OTA HD will look great though.

i would guess your current TV will look better with the SD signal.

but, as already said, a 722 and an HD package added to your current AT100 will make you smile.

just did exactly what you are asking but went with DVR advantage.

bruce

I currently have dish with a dvr hooked up to a flat screen tube. Looking to upgrade to a samsung 46a650. I have top 100 plus local channels capable of HD. I know with a new HD receiver and HDMI I will get true HD viewing. However, if I do not upgrade the dish reciever and use the coax hookup what is the quality I will be looking at?? Will the locals be in HD? Thanks..

Just like everyone says... it doesnt make sense to go half a$$. The tv will look nice but why not use the tv to its full use? I would also bite the bullet if I were you.

If after everyone's statements you still want to stay with the same receiver and HDTV then at least use a better cable. Coaxial cable to an HDTV is the worst quality ever. The best would be S-Video for a SD receiver(you'll have to use the red and white RCA[not the yellow, since s-video and the yellow do the same thing] with them as S-Video is ONLY video and does not provide audio). If not possible then at least use RCA cables(red, white, yellow). Good luck!

with your current receiver, you will be dissapointed with the SD picture you will get from Dish on your new TV and wonder why you spent the $. your OTA HD will look great though.

i would guess your current TV will look better with the SD signal.

but, as already said, a 722 and an HD package added to your current AT100 will make you smile.

just did exactly what you are asking but went with DVR advantage.

bruce

I just called Dish and they offered me a 622 for only $50 for some holiday promo. It would be nice to go to a 722 but a 622 could do. They also said 612 discounted, too. Not sure which one I'd rather do quite yet. Of course they have the 24mth commitment but that is a bullet I'll be happy to bite.

Last edited:
My brother had an HD tv hooked up to as sd Dish receiver via s-video for many months and was moaning that his dvd player looked better than Dish. I helped him get a 722 and got him hooked up correctly and he hardly watches and sd channels anymore even though they do look better now. The HD just blows him away.

I've got my HD TV (65" Mitsu DLP) hooked up to a 510 reciever. I'm happy with the picture I get. True, it's not hd, but its crystal clear (using a S vido cable with red/white rca for sound). I get ALOT of hd locals from my roof antenna. I'm not yet willing to cough up more $ to dish network. I guess it depends on how picky you are and if you want to spend the $. Best wishes to all in 2009!

ganja_25,

From another N.Mexican, sign up for the 722--you will love it. Then get an EHD or several and sign up once for that. 1TB now about $110--cheaper than any of my 750GB and one 1TB. I have about 4.5 TB total good for 800 mixed (60% HD wish TCM was in HD or had Voom back although it helps that we have move premium HD) movies plus several series, 98% IMDb>7.5. It cost more when I bought them.

If you can go with the A750 from Samsung. I have the HTL5687SX, with the big advantage of LED drivers for the DLP. This means you don't replace the arc bulb every 4000-6000 hours and the set is nearly instant on and no color wheel to make noise. I had a HLS5687 (bulb >$100) but had some problems and they replaced at an upgrade price with the HLT. I have it on many hours of the day and would have easily worn out the bulb more than say twice a year, had I still had it. Today's price is much better than 2 years ago but glad I didn't wait.

And if you have the room and $$ go for a 50" or bigger as you want to be closer than you may think to get the real wide screen effect, e.g., say at 8-10' for the 56".

-Ken

P.S. poke around at AVS for a good starter set of setting--you do not want the showroom brightness, probably movie mode. -K

Once you have seen both SD and HD on a HD television, it is really hard to watch SD ;)

If you can swing it, as many others have said prior, go for a HD receiver ...

I've got my HD TV (65" Mitsu DLP) hooked up to a 510 reciever. I'm happy with the picture I get. True, it's not hd, but its crystal clear (using a S vido cable with red/white rca for sound). I get ALOT of hd locals from my roof antenna. I'm not yet willing to cough up more $ to dish network. I guess it depends on how picky you are and if you want to spend the $. Best wishes to all in 2009!

Just out of curiosity, why shell out $4000 for a TV but tighten up over $20 a month?

I assume you are referring to the LN series, the LCD HDTV. I have the 52" version in my MBr.

You will not get HD locals from Dish if you only subscribe to SD locals and/or only have an SD Dish receiver.

You can hook up an indoor antenna to your Sammy and may get your locals OTA and in HD. If much of what you watch is on your local stations, drop the locals from Dish and just go OTA. This TV has a built in digital ATSC tuner. If an indoor antenna is not bringing in your stations, an outdoor antenna probably will. Look up your antenna needs at antennaweb.

And WELCOME! Please let us know what you try and how it works out for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)