Upgrading to HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fishman23

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
My grandparents are looking to finally upgrade to HD after purchasing a new television. They’ve been loyal DirecTV customers since 1998, have never had any complaints, and are extremely happy with the service over the years. However, looking at some of the deals offered exclusively to new customers by both DirecTV and Dish, it’s hard to not take a serious look at switching to Dish Network and enjoying free instillation and the first year of service at $15 off per month.

Do you think DirecTV would be willing to waive some of these fees to keep them as customers? They’re using the same two receivers and the dish they had in 2002. They’re wanting an HD-DVR, Standard DVR, and Standard Receiver. Their current package is called Total Choice Plus ($57.99) and they’re looking to upgrade to Choice Xtra + HD DVR ($75.99). They’re fine and dandy with that $18 per month price increase, but are worried about the prices of the receivers. HD DVR($199), DVR($99), Standard ($?). Is there a $5 per month fee on each of the three boxes or is the HD DVR included with the package? Also, what about a price for instillation and replacing the old Dish? I see the new dish and instillation is free for new customers of course.

One last thing, way back in 1998 they were unable to get the CBS local channel so they were able to purchase the NY/LA ones. Somewhere along the lines they were grandfathered in at $3.50 a month to keep those channels when the local one became available. They really enjoy these channels because very often there is three different NFL, college football, or basketball games on at the same time. Would they be in jeopardy of losing the NY/LA channels (380-381) if they changed their package?

Sorry for the questions and thanks for any help or opinions!

The best thing is ask. My experience has been favorable. When I upgraded to HD the offer for new customers was a free receiver. Just by asking if they could do the same for a long-time existing customer I received the upgrade for a $15 shipping charge on the receiver. Also do your grandparents have an online account setup?. D****** often will reward customer loyality with various equipment upgrades or free premium packages but it appears you have to read about them thru your online account access. A customer since 1998 would qualify as a loyal customer. Recently I got a free DVR upgrade but only knew of it by accessing my online account.
The $5/unit fee isn't applied to their main unit, only the 2 extra receivers. There is a $6/mo fee for the DVR feature. Can't comment on their package that receives the CBS but again D***** seems to go the extra mile to retain existing customers.

Hope it works out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts