Upgrading to HD

Cloudrider

Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Kentucky
I currently have an old receiver model DP301, i want to upgrade to HD, if I buy a vip 211k hd receiver from Amazon is that all i will need? Or will I need to upgrade my dish also? Would I need a new LNB? If so can I just remove my old dish and install the new one in it's place?

Yeah you more than likely would need to upgrade your dish and lnb as well. Depending where you are you would need either 110/119/129 or 61.5/72/77. If you want to PM me your account number I could take a look at your account and see what you would need.

Are you sure you only want a 211k? It only has a single Dish tuner. You won't be able to dvr 2 dish feeds at a time. With a 722k you would be able to dvr 4 feeds at once. 2 Dish and 2 ota with the module. Adding an ehd for extra storage is now free for the 722. More than 1 person has thanked us for talking them into a 722 series. And why buy if you get a 722. You will still pay the dvr fee.

To Contract or Not to Contract That is the Question

Advise Please. No current contract, own a 625 DVR. TV 1 connected via RCA (video) and Optical (audio) to the AVR and then out via HDMI to Samsung 42 in plasma. TV 2 connected via coax to old 480i TV. About to add a Panny plasma as TV 2. So do I Buy (or lease) a 722 and live with mediocre images on TV 2. I love not having a contract but I love having a DVR, hence my question or is there another option.

Thank you very much.

DVR Rental Fee

So is it true if you buy a new receiver, you still have to pay the $6 fee? I have an OLD 501, which I purchased >10 years ago and it doesn't require the $6 fee. Are there some of the older receivers that don't require this fee? If so, which ones?

Thanks,
yaemid

So is it true if you buy a new receiver, you still have to pay the $6 fee? I have an OLD 501, which I purchased >10 years ago and it doesn't require the $6 fee. Are there some of the older receivers that don't require this fee? If so, which ones?

Thanks,
yaemid

As it stands 501/508/510 receivers do not get the dvr fee.That said they are expected to be obsolete within the next 2 yrs.Still $144 is $144 anyway you slice it.

Advise Please. No current contract, own a 625 DVR. TV 1 connected via RCA (video) and Optical (audio) to the AVR and then out via HDMI to Samsung 42 in plasma. TV 2 connected via coax to old 480i TV. About to add a Panny plasma as TV 2. So do I Buy (or lease) a 722 and live with mediocre images on TV 2. I love not having a contract but I love having a DVR, hence my question or is there another option.

Thank you very much.
The 625 and the 722 both output SD on the TV2 output so resolution on the new Panny would be the same with either receiver. If you want HD on the Panny you will need at least a 211.

As it stands 501/508/510 receivers do not get the dvr fee.That said they are expected to be obsolete within the next 2 yrs.Still $144 is $144 anyway you slice it.
ONLY 501/508 were grandfathered on the DVR fees the 510 always had it. According to letters being mailed out to 501/508 owners the DVR fee is going to be applied to them also. The VIP211 with external hard drive will be the only DVR FEE free receiver soon.

ONLY 501/508 were grandfathered on the DVR fees the 510 always had it. According to letters being mailed out to 501/508 owners the DVR fee is going to be applied to them also. The VIP211 with external hard drive will be the only DVR FEE free receiver soon.

My bad shouldn't have thrown the 510 into the mix,and while they are adopting the fee to reflect on the bill there will also be a credit to wipe it out.

The 625 and the 722 both output SD on the TV2 output so resolution on the new Panny would be the same with either receiver. If you want HD on the Panny you will need at least a 211.

Here's what I would do. Hook the 722 hdmi to the avr via hdmi if possible or composite. Run homer distribution to coax input on the new hdtv. Get a 211 and hook it via hdmi to the new tv and get an ehd for the 211. That way you can watch/record true hd on the Panny and by switching inputs you can also watch what you've recorded on the 722, alabet in SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)