Upgrading to Hopper, Q's first?

hdmi_guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Long story short after visiting my parents and seeing the PQ of their Time Warner Cable box it makes me want to upgrade my Dish equipment.

I currently have a 622 and a 612 and I was interested in a Hopper system.

My family records a lot of multi hour sporting events on top of the "regular" sitcoms, dramas, reality shows, and kid shows. Makes me think I might be best with a Hopper/Hopper set up.

I currently have 2 HDTVs; Living Room and Bedroom. It is very important that I have HD at each TV, didnt drop big bucks for nothing!

I "chatted" with Dish and checked on both H/H and H/J, the price difference is $6 a month. What is to be gained or lost in each scenario. And I supposed the best question is, Is it worth the hassle of upgrading strictly for PQ?

Assuming there isn't a problem with the 622, there won't be any significant difference.

The hopper-joey system will allow you to access all of your recordings on both TV's if you are not currently able to do so. You will also be able to record every prime-time show using one receiver. If you get a hopper with sling and have a tablet or smart phone, you can further access your recorded shows on your tablet/smartphone.

Last spring I upgraded from a 622 and a 612 to a two hopper 1 joey system. Previously I mirrored my 612 to my bedroom HDTV but only had SD.

For strictly PQ it is not worth it to upgrade. While I think there is a slight improvement in PQ, with the emphasis on slight, it's not enough to upgrade for.
That said the extra tuners and ability to watch the recording at any location is great. That and that PATA allows us to record all 4 network shows and only use one tuner on one of the hoppers made it a no brainer for us. That and now I have HD in the bedroom.

Do it for the advantages of the hopper not PQ.

BTW, there is no way Time Warner should be noticeably better than either the 622 or 612 unless something is set wrong in your setup. I've usually seen just the opposite looking at cable.

Would be nice if everything looked as good as my Apple TV...

Unfortunately my 622 does not have HDMI and the DVI port has never worked. It is currently connected via component, Maybe that is the bottleneck?

I am mistaken... It was my old RP that had the DVI...

Irregardless the HDMI on the 622 doesn't work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)