Upgrading to Hopper

uptownvideo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
I just ordered a Hopper with 1 Joey and have questions in the connections. I have always had a dual tuner 722 with 2 rooms hooked up sd from with tuner 2. Will I still be able to have a 3rd tv hooked up without a 2nd Joey? I have a coax cable run to the basement and it does not need to be in HD and is not on when the tv in the bedroom is on where the Joey will probably go.

Just slightly more complicated to set up.

BTW, did you make sure you're getting the Hopper With Sling and not the old Hopper?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

How would I hook that up? They are sending an installer out to hook 1 Joey up. How would I hook up my tv in the basement? Would my current rf remote from my 722 work?

Well, easiest might be to take the composite outs to a VCR and then the coax out from the VCR to the third TV. Or you could buy a special adapter for the purpose.

What happens if I split the signal coming out of the coax outs? Is that now a digital signal that only can be seen by a Joey and not a tv? Can my 722 rf remotes work with the Hopper?

The RF remotes will not work. Hopper is BT.

Cannot split satellite coax, as you stated. But the coax out of the VCR can be split (analog).

Will using a dvd recorder or vcr interrupt 1 of the tuners so I can't watch TV in my main level or my bedroom?

Will using a dvd recorder or vcr interrupt 1 of the tuners so I can't watch TV in my main level or my bedroom?
Whatever you are watching on the Hopper or Joey will be fed out the composite jacks as SD. You could watch a program on the Hopper for instance, and have the Joey tuned to a different program and the coax out from the Joey feeding the VCR/DVD recorder.

Did this answer your question?

What happens if I split the signal coming out of the coax outs? Is that now a digital signal that only can be seen by a Joey and not a tv? Can my 722 rf remotes work with the Hopper?
On Hoppers and Joeys there is no coax out like you are used to. There is HDMI, Component or composite outputs from the Hopper and HDMI and composite from the Joey. That is why DISH uses Joeys. For HDMI you use a HDMI splitter and a long relatively expensive HDMI cable. If you use component that needs 5 RCA cables run either to the primary TV or the secondary TV. Composite requires a splitter and three RCA cables and is Standard Definition. The lowest quality picture is to add a modulator plugged into the composite inputs on Hopper or Joey and run through coaxial cable on CH. 3/4 again this is standard definition. I don't believe your old remotes will work for UHF on Hopper/Joey.

Thanks everyone for the info. I do have a few more questions. Will the remote work with the Joey mounted behind the tv mounted on the wall? Is coax coming from the tv Hopper all that I need hooked up the Joey? Can I use my ota antenna with this setup? They are supposed to be sending me a Hopper with Sling so that should work well with my ipad. My 722 with Sling adapter does not work well with dish app.

Yes the Joey will work behind the tv. The one in my kitchen is mounted inside a cabinet. The Joey will be hooked up by a connection to the node. Same with the Hopper. You need to order the OTA dongle from Dish for OTA.

Joeys work wirelessly also, after initial wired setup, although this is not officially supported.

Thanks everyone for the info. I do have a few more questions. Will the remote work with the Joey mounted behind the tv mounted on the wall? Is coax coming from the tv Hopper all that I need hooked up the Joey? Can I use my ota antenna with this setup? They are supposed to be sending me a Hopper with Sling so that should work well with my ipad. My 722 with Sling adapter does not work well with dish app.
The Hopper has a separate plug in tuner for OTA reception you will have to order it from DISH.

The Hopper actually has 3 tuners. If you tune a national network al 4 networks become available on that one tuner, allowing you to record or watch up to six different channels. The Joey uses the tuners in the Hopper has none of its own.

The Joey gets wired to a node, wherever it might be. In my case, I have a Hopper and two Joeys. There are two coax cables from the satellite dish to the node, located in my garage, and then the Hopper is wired from one part of the node to the Hopper and both Joeys are wired from a separate part of the node to the Joeys, via a splitter...