Upgrading to SWM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jlambrig

Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
I have a house that was wired for cable and subsequently had another coax cable run to 2 rooms with DVRs. I now have an HDTV in a room with a wall that could only have one coax cable jack. I would like to upgrade to SWM to get HD and an HD DVR to that TV. Do I have to run all new cable or can the existing cable be used for all rooms. I have a powered multiswitch that I know would be replaced by the SWM 8. Is this possible? Do I call DTV to have this done or a local DTV retailer?

Assuming that all of the cable runs can be brought to a central location for the switch, with no splitters in line, then the existing cable should be fine to use.

Assuming that all of the cable runs can be brought to a central location for the switch, with no splitters in line, then the existing cable should be fine to use.

I agree. Shouldn't be any issues.

How did you manage to get in a response before what's his name? :D

I have a house that was wired for cable and subsequently had another coax cable run to 2 rooms with DVRs. I now have an HDTV in a room with a wall that could only have one coax cable jack. I would like to upgrade to SWM to get HD and an HD DVR to that TV. Do I have to run all new cable or can the existing cable be used for all rooms. I have a powered multiswitch that I know would be replaced by the SWM 8. Is this possible? Do I call DTV to have this done or a local DTV retailer?

You can use all the existing cable and multiple splitters.
I would recommend only using a quality splitters (preferably the ones designed for SWM) but it will work through cheap cable splitters if it is a must.
The only thing you can't split on swm is if you have to use a swm switch where you have to run the 4 lines from a legacy LNB to the switch. Those 4 lines need to be solid.

The big question is do you need a SWM8?
What receivers do have?

As kj says.....you may not need a SWM 8. You will if you have D-10 or D-11 standard receivers or an R-15 DVR you intend to continue using as they are not SWM compatible. Possible I'd say if you have an antique powered multiswitch.

I have 2 HD DVRs (HR22 and 24) and a third HDTV that I want to install a HD DVR. Right now that is whatever the most recent SD DVR type DTV has. It can't get HD signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts