Upgrading with a move.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
Ok people, I have decided to keep Dish since the Omaha Locals are coming soon, I hope. Anyway, I am getting another HD TV, and currently have a SD DVR that I would like to upgrade to another 622. Can this be done? How much would it cost? Also, I would like to hook up 2 more TVs, bringing my total to 6. Is this something that is possible? Would I need 2 dishes?

One last question, when the installer comes and hooks up my system in my new house, can he hook up an OTA antenna also?

Thanks,
Tim

Adding an outdoor OTA antenna is the easy part, if your dish is installed high enough on your roof to see over the peak to get line-of-sight to the broadcast towers. You'll need a "J" pole that will attach to the dish pole to attach the antenna above the dish. The incoming OTA cable can be diplexed (you'll need two or more of these) onto the incoming satellite cable, so you need not run a second cable for OTA. Running cable is not fun.

It gets a little more complicated at the in-house end, depending on how many of your 6 TV sets you want to receive the OTA signal. At your in-house splitter sight or TV sets, you'll need to use other diplexers in reverse to separate back to OTA and cable signals before they are attached to the DVR or TV sets. With 6 tv sets, you're going to need an amplified splitter to send OTA signal all over your house.

Go to antennapoint.com and determine where your broadcast towers are located, UHF or VHF or both and how far away the are, so you can get an idea of where on your roof you want the dish mounted and what type of antenna you'll need.

Whether or not Dish will deliver your locals in HD, the OTA antenna will, and almost completely uncompressed, unlike Dish. You're going to find out that you'll be watching your local HD programming over-the-air and not on Dish.

As to your satellite setup, I'm an antenna guy, so I'll leave that part to the salellite experts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts