Upgrading...

indestructible

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Ohio
I've had Dish Network for about ten years, now. I've never upgraded anything (so I still have the same boxes from ten years ago, and SD programming). Last year, I finally got a new HDTV, and I've been curious about upgrading my programming to HD (and also downgrading to a lesser package, so decrease my bill). I'm not really sure where to begin with this, though.

For one, the physical dish itself doesn't have to have anything done to it, does it? Is it just a matter of swapping out the boxes for new ones?

Secondly, how much is the cheapest HD receiver box? I couldn't find pricing information on Dish's site, they just offered a phone number to call for more information, and really, I just want to get an idea before I start talking to them. I have satellite service in two rooms, so I'd need two boxes. I don't necessarily need a DVR.

I did, however, receive a letter from Dish in the mail today with some "free gift" information; the first says they'll give me a free HD DVR receiver if I call the number and give them the promo code on the card. The second talks about the "Free HD for life" thing they have going on, and the third is just about giving me a three month trial of some premium channels. Like I said, I don't necessarily need a DVR (not that crazy about the extra $6 a month for the service), but if this is gonna be free for the unit, I might as well do it. How do I go about getting the other box I need, though, without getting a second DVR?

Anyway, thanks for any help and information. Sorry if any of my questions are kinda stupid; I just don't get how a lot of this stuff works, and like I said, I haven't upgraded or changed anything about my service in, like, ten years, so...

I've had Dish Network for about ten years, now. I've never upgraded anything (so I still have the same boxes from ten years ago, and SD programming). Last year, I finally got a new HDTV, and I've been curious about upgrading my programming to HD (and also downgrading to a lesser package, so decrease my bill). I'm not really sure where to begin with this, though.

For one, the physical dish itself doesn't have to have anything done to it, does it? Is it just a matter of swapping out the boxes for new ones?

Secondly, how much is the cheapest HD receiver box? I couldn't find pricing information on Dish's site, they just offered a phone number to call for more information, and really, I just want to get an idea before I start talking to them. I have satellite service in two rooms, so I'd need two boxes. I don't necessarily need a DVR.

I did, however, receive a letter from Dish in the mail today with some "free gift" information; the first says they'll give me a free HD DVR receiver if I call the number and give them the promo code on the card. The second talks about the "Free HD for life" thing they have going on, and the third is just about giving me a three month trial of some premium channels. Like I said, I don't necessarily need a DVR (not that crazy about the extra $6 a month for the service), but if this is gonna be free for the unit, I might as well do it. How do I go about getting the other box I need, though, without getting a second DVR?

Anyway, thanks for any help and information. Sorry if any of my questions are kinda stupid; I just don't get how a lot of this stuff works, and like I said, I haven't upgraded or changed anything about my service in, like, ten years, so...

Gonna try and answer most of your questions here. Your dish will need to be upgraded to a new one. And possibly the cabling but probably not. If you don't need a dvr, then I would suggest two 211k receivers. As for the cost. I can pretty much guarantee you can get them for free if you sign up for a new two year contract. You might as well do that because if you buy the equipment you would still need a new dish and that could be tricky for you to point yourself.

How many HD TV's do you want to have programming, and how many SD TV's do you want to have programming? For one HD, and one SD, it would be cheaper to get the Duo Vip 222k, you wont have to pay the additional receiver fees. Now, if you have to HD TV's, you would want to get two Solo VIP 211K, like the other guy said. You will have to have a tech to come out to switch the equipment. Dish has DISHN'It UP program, that will get your programming in HD, for free, does require a new 24 month contract, but, it is way cheaper then paying for them out right. The HD receivers aren't cheap and you would have to pay for a new dish, LNBF, switch, and tech visit. The HD free for life, requires Credit Card Auto-pay with paperless billing, and a 24 month contract, but that is a savings of $120/ year, for the life of the account.

I'd probably go with two HD receivers, but one HD and one SD would probably be alright, if it's going to be cheaper. Can you give me a rough estimate as to how much all of this will cost, total? The boxes, having someone come out to switch the satellite, etc.?

Well if you already have two boxes then there would be not additional upfront or monthly cost. Just a 2 year commitment. Obviously, it does not hurt to call.

If you go with one HD, and one SD, which will be done with one receiver 222k, your bill would actually decrease by $7 per month,because your 1st box is free. That one receiver runs both T.V's. One being in HD, and the other SD. You could sign up for HD free for life, which just requires automatic bill pay, so you shouldn't have to pay anymore for programing.

If you go with a DVR, ask for the 722k. It also runs one HD, and a SD television. You can record and watch on both T.V.'s

If you want HD on two T.V.'s, then two 211k receivers would be your best bet. The first one would be free, and the second one would be a $7 per month charge. The cool thing about the 211's is that you can buy an external hard drive. Pay a one time $40 fee to dish, and turn it into a DVR with no monthly fee. I just did this recently, and it works great.

That one receiver runs both T.V's.

Really? How does that work? Both TVs are in two different rooms. I'm guessing that'd mean having to somehow set up a long link of cables from the box in one room to the TV that's in the other room? Also, with just one receiver, would both TVs be able to watch programming independently of each other, at the same time?

Really? How does that work? Both TVs are in two different rooms. I'm guessing that'd mean having to somehow set up a long link of cables from the box in one room to the TV that's in the other room? Also, with just one receiver, would both TVs be able to watch programming independently of each other, at the same time?

Answers to each question.
1. Yes
2.Quite easily
3. Yes
4. Yes

They don't have to run new cables. The cable that feeds the box runs through a switch. The signal comes back out of the box, and back through the same cable that it is being fed with, and is hooked up to the second T.V. where all of your cables split. Then the second T.V. is just fed through the coax cable that is already running to it. That is the reason that it is SD only. The 722k and the 222k receivers are dual tuner, so that you can watch two different channels on each T.V. The receiver has a small antenna for the remote control to the second T.V., so that is how you change the channels, and on the 722 dvr model, even contorl the dvr. (watch and record). It is a pretty slick setup, and if you only need HD on one T.V., then you avoid the extra receiver fee's, because your first box is free. I believe that with the 722, that you still have a DVR fee though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts