Uplink Activity for Wed. March 01 2006

BobMurdoch said:
Hmmm. I never thought about it before but how did KYW get away with not having a W prefix?
something to do with westinghouse and a frequency swap in the 1950's http://www.angelfire.com/nm/negativfan/calls1.html

KYW -- Westinghouse started this in Chicago, from 1921 until 1934, when the 1020 allocation was shifted to Philadelphia (since 1941, on 1060). Though the call-sign itself detoured to Cleveland from 1956 to 1965, it is back in Philadephia today.

BobMurdoch said:
Hmmm. I never thought about it before but how did KYW get away with not having a W prefix?

Bob,

KYW is an old station in the radio world and got it's call letters from the old shipping allocation of call letters.

When the US went to k in the west and w in the east, KYW along with a handful of other stations were grandfathered their calls. When television came about the FCC just added the -tv designator and KYW was allowed tv also.

Cheers,
Sam

Looks like Kansas City HD locals were added added to 129 today. Are they available or just uplinked? The reason I'm asking is because my parents are in KC and just activated my 211 without getting the D1000. Guess I will have to swing the 61.5 around alot.

Dishpointer said:
Looks like Kansas City HD locals were added added to 129 today. Are they available or just uplinked? The reason I'm asking is because my parents are in KC and just activated my 211 without getting the D1000. Guess I will have to swing the 61.5 around alot.
Not yet, but Philly was just uplinked Monday. Who knows? :)

Just got it in my e-mail:

Charlie Chat
March 13, 2006 @ 9 PM ET
Channel 101
Join us for a special hour of the Charlie Chat celebrating Dish Network’s 10th anniversary. This live event is hosted by DISH Network’s CEO, Charlie Ergen, and co-founder, Jim DeFranco. The show will feature an exciting celebrity appearance, a huge prize and the latest news regarding new channel launches and upcoming free previews. As always, this is your chance to email or call in and talk live to the CEO himself. So, don’t miss this great event on DISH Network!

MSG said:
Just got it in my e-mail:

Charlie Chat
March 13, 2006 @ 9 PM ET
Channel 101
Join us for a special hour of the Charlie Chat celebrating Dish Network’s 10th anniversary. This live event is hosted by DISH Network’s CEO, Charlie Ergen, and co-founder, Jim DeFranco. The show will feature an exciting celebrity appearance, a huge prize and the latest news regarding new channel launches and upcoming free previews. As always, this is your chance to email or call in and talk live to the CEO himself. So, don’t miss this great event on DISH Network!
Didnt they do this last year?:confused:

whtevr77 said:
Perhaps some messages to Gannett might be in order.

Anyone in Denver confirm the three others are available? I'll find out tonight but was wondering....and if they are how is the PQ?

In Denver only 3 of the Locals are available KMGH, KCNC, and KDVR. We do not get anything else

Ok where is Simple Simon AT??? The reason i ask he is kinda in the same boat with me can't get Locals Ota because of the sticks. Hope he is Enjoying HD!! LOCALS!

Are we sure KTUL(ABC) and KJRH(NBC) moved from 119 to 110 in Tulsa, OK. My stepsister's apt already had a single 18 in dish pointing to 119 when she moved so I did not change the dish because she only has at60. Called her and she still has all the main Tulsa locals coming in on 119.

Gannett just got in a fight here in Arizona with a mom'n'pop cable company in the Prescott metro area. They asked for compensation for KPNX-12 and KNAZ-2, though they never had gotten any in the past.

All I know is someone gave in right before the olympics. My guess is Gannett won. I have a meeting at KNAZ tomorrow- must remember to ask what's going on.

Odd thing is, Gannett hasn't had much pull in the past with Dish/DirecTV because they don't own any national channels. They were talking about starting a "national local news" channel that would carry local broadcasts from all their stations. Maybe they're trying to get it off the ground again and no one's biting.

osu1991 said:
Are we sure KTUL(ABC) and KJRH(NBC) moved from 119 to 110 in Tulsa, OK. My stepsister's apt already had a single 18 in dish pointing to 119 when she moved so I did not change the dish because she only has at60. Called her and she still has all the main Tulsa locals coming in on 119.

Yes they moved, but they moved back sometime tonight.

6293 (WHTM) Added To TP Frequency: 12.253 GHz TP 17
6294 (WHP) Added To TP Frequency: 12.253 GHz TP 17
6295 (WGAL) Added To TP Frequency: 12.253 GHz TP 17
6296 (WPMT) Added To TP Frequency: 12.253 GHz TP 17
6297 (WLYH) Added To TP Frequency: 12.253 GHz TP 17
6298 (WITF) Added To TP Frequency: 12.253 GHz TP 17
6299 (WGCB) Added To TP Frequency: 12.253 GHz TP 17
That's a strange case. All the Harrisburg/York/Lancaster stations put into the SV range.
Per the FCC's SV document, WGAL is SV in most of the surrounding counties, but WHTM & WHP are only SV in Snyder County, and none of the rest are SV anywhere.

BlackHitachi said:
Ok where is Simple Simon AT??? The reason i ask he is kinda in the same boat with me can't get Locals Ota because of the sticks. Hope he is Enjoying HD!! LOCALS!

No joy for Simon or me! We are not considered to be the the Denver DMA. We are in the Colorado Springs DMA. And for now, Dish will not let us have HD locals out of Denver (or anywhere else!!!) even with waivers.
:(

The good news about all this, is that it appears Dish will launch HD LiLs in a particular DMA even if all 4 nets arn't on board. It would be a real bummer if Dish had a DMA logistically ready to go but held back because 1 of the 4 networks was playing hard to get.

What satellite is Dish using at 129?
Does is have 32 functional transponders?

Either way, they are going to run out of space pretty quickly without spot beams.

Derwin0 said:
That's a strange case. All the Harrisburg/York/Lancaster stations put into the SV range.
Per the FCC's SV document, WGAL is SV in most of the surrounding counties, but WHTM & WHP are only SV in Snyder County, and none of the rest are SV anywhere.
Figured it out.
Franklin County, PA is now listed in Dish Network as in the Washington/Harrisburg market. This is probably due to Franklin County moving from the Washington DMA to the Harrisburg DMA.
With Washington now having locals in HD, I can envision lots of Harrisburg people "moving" there to get both Harrisburg and Washington, along with Washington HD. :devil:

Applying network pressure

First post since joining - what a great resource this site is...

I'm in DFW and wondering if there is a way to apply pressure (i.e. emails or voice mails) to either the local networks or to Dish to deliver HD Locals. Not expecting to part the waters or anything just want to be heard...

Any ideas? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts